Nevada Candidate Suggests a Pay-To-Speed Law

HardOCP News

[H] News
How would you like to pay a $25 fee to legally speed up to 90mph on designated highways for twenty four hour periods at a time? Don't bother answering that, I will for you...HELL YEAH! This guy just got my vote.

One Nevada gubernatorial hopeful sees a speedy fix to Nevada's budget crisis. Nonpartisan candidate Eugene "Gino" DiSimone believes people would pay for the privilege to drive up to 90 mph on designated highways—and fill the state's depleted coffers.

I'm not sure that'll be legal without a law change. Only in the US, I guess :)

I'd be all for it, cept that this will end up with some crazy amount of accidents... Hell, there are enough accidents without it being 90.

Please don't answer for me. HELL NO. What a moronic idea. How are the cops to know if the guy's got a license to speed or not. Also I'd like to live. $25 for 1 hour would be more easier to come to terms with

eh, here in georgia if they pass the same law and put the limit at 80, they would make tons of bucks since everyone goes that fast anyway...

I'm not sure that'll be legal without a law change. Only in the US, I guess :)

Its a simple matter for them to change the law or amend it to allow for something like this. And personally I think its a fantastic idea. If I could pay a $25 fee to drive upwards of 90 miles an hour in certain places, I'd be all for it. Highway 80 for example is straight for miles. People drive that fast on it anyway but instead of getting pulled over, you could just go about your business without fear of getting ticketed. Highway 75 is the same way once you get past Allen. There are plenty of examples for this, but sadly 635 would have to be out for the most part. There are too many accidents there as it is, it isn't straight and it cuts through the middle of Dallas.

I can see it now....... The complainers, after paying the $25.00 get caught above the limit at say..... 95mph, will still try to contest their ticket.
Those that pay the $25. to speed and get caught going over the 90, should pay a double fine, that would be sweet :D

I'd be all for it, cept that this will end up with some crazy amount of accidents... Hell, there are enough accidents without it being 90.

There are plenty of people who drive that fast in major traffic areas in large cities as it is. I don't think it would change a whole lot.

Please don't answer for me. HELL NO. What a moronic idea. How are the cops to know if the guy's got a license to speed or not. Also I'd like to live. $25 for 1 hour would be more easier to come to terms with

Maybe a sticker like that of the carpool stickers for hybrids.

I miss when Montana had repealed speed limit laws. It was nice traveling 90-100mph and not having to worry about getting pulled over. It takes long enough to travel inside the state as it is.

I miss when Montana had repealed speed limit laws. It was nice traveling 90-100mph and not having to worry about getting pulled over. It takes long enough to travel inside the state as it is.

Talked to a couple of state patrol or w/e from there, and they said it was never the people in nice cars that were the problem, but the people in a POS with bald tires going as fast as they could.

Nevada didnt used to have a speed limit (out on the highways outside city limits). I think this would be awesome out there where the roads are straight for literally as far as you can see.

The oil companies love ideas like this I'm sure. You don't have to be a genius to realize that this would be bad for safety and the environment. How many MPG does your SUV get at 90 Miles Per Hour?

The oil companies love ideas like this I'm sure. You don't have to be a genius to realize that this would be bad for safety and the environment. How many MPG does your SUV get at 90 Miles Per Hour?

Last trip to Mosses Lake, I averaged 18, even with the mountain passes and Vantage hill. Cruise was set at 85 in a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. Some of the best mileage to date.

Isn't this somewhat of terrible idea from a safety perspective? From what I understand speeding itself is not really the main issue with traffic safety, but the that having vehicles operating at different speeds on the same road. Would this just not increase the risk of people who have paid for the service weaving in and out of lanes trying to pass people who have not. You'd just create an artificial situation where there is a lot of mobile barriers on the same roadway.

Living in the city of the nations unofficial autobahn, Meh. Our cops here in Memphis do not patrol the interstates at all for the fact that they are way to busy with drug crime. People go 100mph all the time when the speed limit is 55mph and you still get passed... by cops.

Isn't this somewhat of terrible idea from a safety perspective? From what I understand speeding itself is not really the main issue with traffic safety, but the that having vehicles operating at different speeds on the same road. Would this just not increase the risk of people who have paid for the service weaving in and out of lanes trying to pass people who have not. You'd just create an artificial situation where there is a lot of mobile barriers on the same roadway.

Our friends over in Germany don't seem to have the problem with such a huge differential in speeds on the Autobahn.

I would definately pay for that. Though the feasibility is quite low for this proposed idea.

A lot more than it gets putting around down and having to accelerate from 0 to 35 over and over. Besides, there's more to life than conserving gas money. People who regularly travel significant time on the freeways might value less time on the road a lot more.

Maybe a sticker like that of the carpool stickers for hybrids.

That gives them 24x7 license. How is a cop to know if the dude's paid the 25. Would be difficult to catch up behind, then run his license plate to while driving before the cop is to decide whether to pull over or not. I don't see a very pleasant scenario where he pulls over nonetheless and then runs the plate to see he's paid the 25

My speed on the highway depends on the beats of the music that's playing.

Sometimes that means I get pulled over, other that means "slow moving vehicle, motherfuckers."

Our friends over in Germany don't seem to have the problem with such a huge differential in speeds on the Autobahn.

I was thinking someone would this bring up, but I think the two situations are not entirely comparable. Here you are creating a two tier speed system, in this case a relatively significant proportion of vehicles will be all be operating faster then the others on the same road. The autobahn situation is different, there isn't some sort of artificial tiers in speed being created, since anyone is free to travel at any speed (although this is not exactly true, it is a slight misconception). I'm obviously not suggesting this will result in some sort of mass epidemic of vehicle accidents, but it is likely much less safe then raising the speed limit to 90 for everyone for instance, of course that wouldn't generate any revenue.

There is also other factors, such as driver training, which I believe is much more stringent then in the US. As well as possible differences in cultural attitude on the road (such as attitudes and procedures involved in passing).

How are the cops to know if the guy's got a license to speed or not.

You didn't RTFA, did you? The proposed idea is to use transponders (which the person would pay for), which would be installed AFTER a safety inspection so the vehicle would be registered in a database for such purposes.

They wanted to legalize marijuana to tax it, and that would have created more deaths then speeding does, for a number of good reasons.

Speeding doesn't kill people, but idiots behind the wheel of a car that is smoking, changing the radio station, or talking on their cell phone does.

The only time speeding can kill is when a teenage boy is behind the wheel, and happens to have a small penis. Though experience has shown that they don't have to be going fast to cause an accident.

Put in a age limit and a required number of years to have been driving on the road, and it'll be safer then an old person behind the wheel.

I was thinking someone would this bring up, but I think the two situations are not entirely comparable. Here you are creating a two tier speed system, in this case a relatively significant proportion of vehicles will be all be operating faster then the others on the same road. The autobahn situation is different, there isn't some sort of artificial tiers in speed being created, since anyone is free to travel at any speed (although this is not exactly true, it is a slight misconception). I'm obviously not suggesting this will result in some sort of mass epidemic of vehicle accidents, but it is likely much less safe then raising the speed limit to 90 for everyone for instance, of course that wouldn't generate any revenue.

There is also other factors, such as driver training, which I believe is much more stringent then in the US. As well as possible differences in cultural attitude on the road (such as attitudes and procedures involved in passing).

Unlike what many people seem to think, there most definitely is a speed limit on most parts of the Autobahn. Driver training is indeed a lot more intense over here as well. As my housemate described it after having visited the US a few times: if you can drive around an empty parking lot a few times in the US, you get your driver's license :p

Over here it's definitely much easier to fail for a driver's exam, much to the despair of the parents who are usually paying for it. It can be pretty expensive :)

Large differences in road speeds are the most dangerous circumstance. If they really wanted to increase road speeds to 90, that wouldn't be so bad but saying that some people can pay 24 hours to speed up to 90 is silly, that means they would have to zig-zag through traffic 25mph over the speed of the other traffic. Besides, in any "major city" you can't even do the current speed limit because of traffic, maybe conditions are different in Nevada.

I support raising the speed limit about 15mph on freeways (and slightly less other places) because there isn't really any safety reason not to but 90mph for some and 65 for others is beyond stupid.

The reason why this is a stupid idea is that if it's safe and reasonable for drivers who have paid a $25 fee to drive 90 MPH, then they should just raise the speed limit to 90 MPH and stop wasting everyone's time by making them drive at low speed.

The law is basically saying, "Our speed limits make no sense and are too low". If the lawmakers themselves know this, then they should skip this law and raise the speed limits.

Yet another bad idea! How about they make it legal for everyone to drive 90. We don't need another tax to do something in a free country. Since this would be above the speed that most people would drive the number of speeders would drop. Take the police that would be doing speed enforcement and have them do real police work and catch criminals.

There are plenty of people who drive that fast in major traffic areas in large cities as it is. I don't think it would change a whole lot.

Except for the fact that in those cases when someone DOES get into accident, they sue the state for allowing this sort of reckless driving to occur.

Dumb idea.

Unlike what many people seem to think, there most definitely is a speed limit on most parts of the Autobahn. Driver training is indeed a lot more intense over here as well. As my housemate described it after having visited the US a few times: if you can drive around an empty parking lot a few times in the US, you get your driver's license :p

Over here it's definitely much easier to fail for a driver's exam, much to the despair of the parents who are usually paying for it. It can be pretty expensive :)

woo hoo. I passed with 13/15 on my drivers test....

13 of the 15 allocated failures allowed :eek:

Sounds cool but that isn't going to guarantee the roads will actually be open enough to go that fast. It would be pretty lame to pay that money only to get stuck behind a Prius in the carpool doing 55.

Yet another bad idea! How about they make it legal for everyone to drive 90. We don't need another tax to do something in a free country. Since this would be above the speed that most people would drive the number of speeders would drop. Take the police that would be doing speed enforcement and have them do real police work and catch criminals.

People accept speed limits because we are told it's for our safety, that letting people go faster is unsafe. Now here we have a politician who is either saying it is indeed safe to have people going 90 (even if they have to speed up/slow down and weave to get in front of people stuck at the normal speed limit), OR he is saying 'If we're getting paid enough who cares if people on our highways are safe?' and by 'paid enough' he thinks $25 is enough to take your safety away.

Back