Neutronium (Alpha) v3 Build Log

nice card! youre saying that it's cooler with this short heatsink than with the full length stock heatsink? the one thats like 2" longer? if so then very impressive!

Just ran a 15min burn in and it stabilized at 67c with 99% load. It scored a 3648 (dont know if this is good), avg 40fps at 1080p. It is a fair bit louder than the stock fan at full blast, but the pitch is lower so its not annoying (IMHO). At idle it is silent. Glad there will be a front vent in the case, this thing pushes some serious air.

nice card! youre saying that it's cooler with this short heatsink than with the full length stock heatsink? the one thats like 2" longer? if so then very impressive!

Well, it is a three copper heat pipe cooler with dual 80mm fans instead of the centrifugal blower on a set of aluminum fins :D

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I've decided to make this a case mod build instead of a scratch case.

Even though I've got the Twincooler GTX 670 now, the extra step of fabricating a complete case is going to break me (cue Ivan Drago voice).

So from here on out, this is a Lian-Li PC-Q02B mod build :)

Here are the updated specs (I'll update the OP shortly)

- Lian Li PC-Q02B Case
- Silverstone ST45SF-G PSU w/ custom cables
- ASRock Z77E-ITX motherboard w/ Intel 6300 Wifi & Smart Series 128GB SSD (Secure backup)
- Intel i7-3770K processor w/ cooling TBD
- 2x 4GB Samsung ultra-low profile DDR3-1600
- 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD in RAID 0
- eVGA GTX 670 4GB w/ Zotac Twincooler HSF setup
- Bulk storage will be handled by a Silverstone dual-bay external housing w/ 2x 4TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives

I'll make a new thread once I get to case choppin' :D

Last edited:
no-darth_vader.jpeg

it's really not that hard to fab your own case. just get dwood to do it over on OCN. have you seen SheLovedE's build? and i just got mine all put together over the weekend and will be finishing my log today or tomorrow hopefully once i get the last fasteners. mine cost me $60 painted without the corner brackets (i made those years ago.) since youre so close i would PM dwood and see what he has to say about cost and feasibility of your design as you have it now. he may also be able to help give you some pointers on some cost saving measures.

i just love custom build so much, this one especially. :/ if you do end up going with a modded PC-Q02B it will still be awesome, maybe just not quite as awesome. :p

One of the main reasons, ekuest, is that I did a RL mockup (cardboardology skills FTW :p) and some of the clearances represented in Sketchup weren't enough. It was a mm here and a mm there, but it was starting to add up (pushing the volume back up a bit at a time).

I'll shoot dwood a note and ask his thoughts, he really makes some amazing stuff. I've already got the Q02 and a Danger Den 2-slot I/O shield laying around (which is a bonus) that I can chop/use as part of the mod (along with tons of modder's mesh/ anodized Al sheet). While 6.9L isn't as awesome as it could be, it ain't bad for a full featured gaming rig.

Back