• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Networking advice (hub BEHIND a router?)

maxinflixion

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
654
So I have ATT Uverse as my ISP. Their router is great, but you cannot have another router behind it.

My main PC has is connected to an ethernet cable which is fished through my wall. My Linux PC is right next to it, but is currently wireless because I only have one ethernet cable fished.

I am wondering if there is a way to split that connection into two? Would an ethernet hub do the trick or would I be screwing up IP/DHCP type crap?

It's one of those things that seems easy on the surface but I am sure is way more technical stuff that is above my pay grade.
 
Don't bother with hubs: They're really piss poor choices for many networking setups. What you're looking for is called a switch: Basically the same as a hub in function but with different internal mechanisms that allows for significantly greater performance.

Anyway, get a switch, plug in the fished ethernet cable to that switch from the router. Then plug in your two PCs via a ethernet cable each to the switch. Then you should be set.
 
Yep, a standard 4 port switch will do exactly what you want. Don't spend any more than say $35-$40 on a switch for that size.
 
Do stores even sell hubs any more? I was looking for a hub back in 2000 and they had switches available at basically the same price.
 
Do stores even sell hubs any more? I was looking for a hub back in 2000 and they had switches available at basically the same price.

I believe places like bestbuy and compusa have a few switches but you are much better off getting one on newegg/amazon.
 
Back
Top