Network regularly drops internet connection

c1001

Gawd
I have two desktop PCs running XP Home SP2 on a gigabit wired home network. They both regularly lose connection to the internet after a couple of hours. Not always at the same time, but after several hours one or the other is guaranteed to lose connectivity. The only thing that seems to work is to reboot the PC, then the internet connection is restored. I do not have a problem with my network, as I can still access the router and networked printer.

I've tried selecting "Repair" on the network icon. When I do I get an error message that the IP address cannot be renewed (this also happens if the connection is working). I've tried rebooting the switch they are connected to, as well as the firewall/router, but internet connectivity is still down unless I do a PC reboot. I am guessing that I have a problem with my firewall/router (Netgear FVS124G), but I am really not sure what to do. I have upgraded the firmware to the most current version.

My equipment consists of a Motorola Cable modem (Comcast provided), a Netgear FVS124G firewall router, and a Netgear GS108 gigabit switch. I am not running ZoneAlarm or any other software firewall as that seemed to cause connectivity issues. I am not running a wireless network. Neither desktop has any power managment or hibernation/sleep features enabled. Both PCs have their LAN setings set to Automatic Configuration" under Internet Options.

Bottom line...HELP!

Running P2P? Bittorrent has this great ability to hose most home routers.

Do they lost access to the internet or the internet and each other?

when the internet isnt accessible from one PC, can you ping the other PC?

Do you have power-saving enabled on your network adapter?
If so try turning it off.

I am not running any P2P app. Power saving is not enabled. They lose access to the internet, not to each other.

Are you sure its not the modem that disconect of the net? Maybe its a problem with your ISP?

I suggest that you update the firmware of the router if possible .

AfterAnn said:
Are you sure its not the modem that disconect of the net? Maybe its a problem with your ISP?

I suggest that you update the firmware of the router if possible .

I am running the most current firmware for the router. I connected a PC directly to the modem and it ran fine, no drops.

Back