Network Printer Suggestion?

tedo2007

n00b
Need it to Print, Scan, Fax, Copy.

Network - Gigabit
Hold 50-500 pages
Mono Color.
Under 600

Used in a small office of about 25 computers.
Easy to setup on windows 7 machines (our printer now is a TASK to setup)

Print less than 1500 pages a month, if you need any other info just ask.

We currently have an Sharp AR-257 but its the nulled down version without fax etc.

Thanks!

Trade in the copier in for a network version (as long as your copy plan covers enough printing), and gain fax/scan to folder/email, etc.

Id like to just give this thing back and switch to MFP to buy, seems to be plenty around the 500 dollar mark. This one is currently networked via hp print server, and it sucks. horribly.

If you have a server and Active Directory, pushing printers out to Windows 7 machines is easy and should be painless implementation regardless of the model.

What is your print volume?

1500 Impressions per month including copying? Between 25 people? Wow - I'm jealous, we have 2 user departments that demand a dedicated printer and do at least 2000 per month.

Cost Per Page factors in HUGE if you have any reasonable quantity. Most machines under $500 are going to have pretty terrible CPP with maintenenace costs if you're high volume.

If you're under 5000 per month, I'd suggest something like a low end Xerox WorkCenter 3315/3325, if you're over 5000 per month, get at least a 3550.

Last edited:
I share a xerox 3300 with my department. Small paper tray but rock solid

We print less than 1000 per month, but we have months with 3000 or more.

No active directory here, just windows 7 machines setup.

We have a dozen Canon Image Runner 1025's around the campus. They have been pretty rock solid for reliability. They have everything you are looking for except gigabit networking which is useless on a network printer. 10/100 is more than enough.

I like those options, ill have to go through the suggestions and pick one.

Never thought of the gigabit....guess out of habit wanted it all to be the same, lol

Samsung CLX-4195FW

Only requirement it doesn't meet is it can only hold 250 pages.

I'm personally sick of Brother and HP's all-in-ones. They are notorious for locking their toners to a certain print count despite the toner cartridge still holding A LOT of usable toner.

Pay attention to running costs as its going to be most crucial in the end.
As for MFP for small/mid-businesses my personal experience says that Kyocera (mid-range) and Gestetner (at least large MFPs) are excellent in terms of reliability. Konica-Minolta brake a lot and drivers are well, not up to what you'd expect. I have a rather large Canon MFP at home (MF9130) and while it works fine it has a very quirky menu system involving a dail pretty much like older IXUS cameras. It does everything great but doing anything at the MFP is a little painful since you have to do a lot of selections.

In your case I would highly consider the Kyocera FS-3140MFP, Toner is also very cheap (Genuine).
Do note that its a bit above your budget but it may be worth it considering running costs and reliability. http://www.amatteroffax.com/itempagey_invid_1367320995_d_kyocera-mita-fs-3140mfp.html
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...4C4Cg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA&prds=scoring:p,start:10
http://usa.kyoceradocumentsolutions.com/americas/jsp/Kyocera/productdetails.jsp?pid=21669

The color version, FS-C2126MFP runs like a charm. If I could complain about something it seems to lack function of emailing when toner is running low but I've might missed that setting somewhere. It's also very snappy using the WebUI which always isn't the case with MFPs. The driver does pretty much anything to can ask for, we use the KX-version but I'm sure the PCL works just as good.

//Danne

Last edited:
Not trying to be counter productive, but my experience with Kyocera printers has been terrible. We only used the "low end" ones for individual desktop printers (KM-1820 and FS-3900), but their 2 part toner system was a really dumb design that never seated quite right, and loved to throw toner everywhere over the inside of the machine, and the drum needed to be replaced every 3-6 months anyway.
This leads to a bigger cost than just going with a combined cartridge in the first place.

By contrast, the small Ricoh printers (MP-161/171) actually have a really decent 2 part system.

And as said - of course stay the hell away from HP and Brother. It's a business, not a broke college student or your grandma.

Never had any issues with the FS-C2126MFP and the FS-3140MFP seems to use the same system. OKI B4XXX-series are on the other hand very bad in that regard, toner spill everytime you needed to replace it. Ricoh/Gestetner/NRG are good, although they seem quite expensive in general but their large units are workhorses. Just checked the C2126, 14556 printed pages (about 2.5k in color), 4165 scanned pages (half of it faxes) and no issues at all. :)
//Danne

The issues I've had with Gestner have been their consumable expenses. Pretty high compared to the rest.

OP, are you afraid of used/refurb units?

We have a couple K/M Bizhub C452's. Perfectly happy with them.

I just setup a customer with a canon imageclass D1350.
So far so good...oem toner only lasted ~1000 pages...i didn't even get the chance to stock a toner for them, they had to order one from wb mason for 175, whereas I got a toner from ganson-store for 75.
Good, fast printer though (fax, copy, scan too)

@ Rouh
He said under 600, not that * 5+? :)
We have C2**-series at work and it's horrible compared to Gestetner (DSc4**/C3***-series at least). Slow, paper jam, horrible (and slow) drivers to name a few issues... I'd honestly take a small Kyocera MFP anyday compared to that thing, we're getting a new C3**-series perhaps that'll change my mind. It's still way more than 600$
//Danne

Samsung printer is pretty cheap! looks like a good deal ill have to check into toner tho!

Samsungs are in general ridiculously expensive in and this case a geniune Samsung cartridge is about 150-170$ USD. Compare that to the Kyocera which is around 60-70$ and 5k pages more.
//Danne

Back