Network pics thread

Have a link to that posting by chance? Would like to know if they have more =]

Brocade 1020's. You can find cards without bics for 45USD/each. These 3 were the only ones with both brackets and 2 bics.

I know that I posted some pictures earlier, but these are a bit better and I did move some stuff around. These are the 3 racks that I have at work. The first 2 I designed, the last one was existing and is still a work in progress. We're going with all new server hardware in Q2 so that's when the main rack will really get cleaned up.

This rack is in a locked electrical closet and is itself locked. It houses our Synology DS412+ with 4 3TB Seagate SATA HDDs in RAID10 for on site backup storage, and also houses an Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d that I use for miscellaneous IT storage. It has 4 1TB drives in RAID10. The switch is an HP ProCurve 2510G-24. This room is physically hundreds of feet away from the main server closet.

IMG_7684_zps4fd7801e.jpg

The next one is a rack that lives life on our manufacturing floor (60,000 square foot "room"). Obviously there are a ton of data drops but most aren't utilized right now. It gets quite dusty but I clean it out every once and a while. This just houses networking gear.

IMG_7722_zpsf06a377b.jpg

Lastly is our main rack in it's own dedicated, air conditioned closet. It houses our phone system (circuit switched aka almost impossible to keep clean) as well as our server (it's actually 3 servers housed in an Intel MFSYS25, and other networking gear (PepLink Balance 210, 4 HP ProCurve 2510G-24s). The big 5U Intel server will soon be replaced with a 2U HP ML380P with dual 8 core Xeons, 128GB of RAM, and 24GB of local storage in OBR10 running ESXi 5.5.

IMG_7708_zps8a4cdc50.jpg

This is what the rack looked like when I started here a year ago. So yeah, it's about 1000 times better.

20130309_110123_zps86252b03.jpg

All of this stuff connects about 25 of these HP Z420s. All have 240GB Intel 530 SSDs, 24GB of ECC RAM, Quadro 4000s, and 3.6GHz E5-1620 Xeons.

20130108_152704.jpg

All of this supports the business that produces these (and no, I don't work for Cat, we are a supplier and produce them for Cat):

MH3049_2013_265_zps4b9216bd.jpg

Last edited:
NEC SV8100.

I do know that this model can work as an IP-PBX system, but that's probably not going to happen for a while with other priorities.

In line with the rest of our new racks.

our VNX 5300 rack will be next to it when we move our computer room this weekend.

NNzd7Zcl.jpg

Per the specs:

Transceivers: 10 Gbps Ethernet LC-style pluggable (SFP+), SR (850 nm) or LR (1310 nm), hot-swappable Active copper Twinax SFP+ direct attach cables

http://www.brocade.com/products/all/adapters/product-details/1010-1020-cna/specifications.page

According to interoperability specs I found on QLogic's site, Dell has some Active Twinax SFP+ part numbers that are Brocade compatible and going for cheap on Fleabay as well. K585N -1m, J564N - 3m, H603N - 5m, G840N - 7m.

Is there any cheap way of outfitting an HP DL380 G4 that takes SCSI drives with SSDs for "cheap"? :?

Short of outboard storage, I've never seen a SCSI-SAS/SATA adapter for use with an internal backplane

We got (3) Dell R720s racked today for a new vmware ESXi 5.5 install

Two 2590s are a sharepoint server and ESXi 4.1 server; R910 is our ERP server, R710 is SQL server, two T3500s run the product configurator for our website.

why so many tiny UPS'? thats going to be a nightmare to replace all those batteries

1 per server? maybe the workstations and network switches share the 2U UPS.

Nonetheless its a nice looking rack.

dunno, that doesn't make any sense to me... usually if anything you have 2 large UPS' one for the left PDU and one for the right PDU... plug psu1 on each server to one pdu and psu2 to the other pdu... so each server is on both ups'

We aren't using PDUs. Each server goes to its own UPS.
In the main rack, we have the switches and redundant power suppliers on their own UPS also.
The 2U UPS is for the largest server which has 3 power supplies.

In the main rack, we have the switches and redundant power suppliers on their own UPS also.

Best practice is to put each powersupply in a multi-supply server on separate UPS. This way a single UPS failure will not bring down a server. You can though share an UPS with multiple servers without issue.

Is there any cheap way of outfitting an HP DL380 G4 that takes SCSI drives with SSDs for "cheap"? :?

If you don't care about possibly voiding your warranty through an invalid configuration, I have a 2U DL-somethingorother that I added some consumer SSDs to by tucking it all inside the case itself.

My server has 8 hot-swap bays connected via backplane to a SmartArray P410 controller, so what I did was plop in a M1015 card (flashed with a LSI BIOS) and ran cables and power to two SSDs that I tucked in neatly into the remaining space in the internal removable PCI bay. I ended up fabbing a power adapter that matches the existing floppy power plug that was sitting unused and running it to the two SSDs.

Again, it's a mod which probably voids some warranty or other, but it has worked rock solid and ticking the rives inside the server hasn't noticeably affected airflow.

I figure that if the server ever rolls over, I'll just pull the drives before the repair guys come. :seatofthepants:

New motherboard for home projet and server improvement. It's a Supermicro X9SAE-V. I am still figuring out what will it do, either my VMWare lab (32GB RAM and SSD/HDD storage) or File server with general physical server tasks. I already have a fully setuped Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for VMWare as we speak, and works great but I am wondering if I swap it...decisions decisions.

IMAG0992_zpse8eeb93d.jpg

IMAG0993_zpsb1ee4660.jpg

I just snagged a pair of the 1020's w/o SFP's for $35ea and a Dell Branded Active Twinax Cable for $30. There's lots of sellers that will take lowball best-offers

Which Sellers? I have a similar offer in and I haven't heard back yet.

But thats exactly what I'm trying to do.

that makes even less sense...

you don't have to use PDUs if you don't want to... just big UPS' and have one for all the PSU1s and one for all the PSU2s...

if you have 1 server per UPS if that UPS fails for whatever reason that server is now dead?

SAS card with external ports + HP MSA60 or MSA70 enclosure (3.5 or 2.5, dirt cheap via ebay special). It would probably be cheaper to get a G5 and P2V that box over to it running on some SSDs.

I've got a few of those Brocade cards (and an 1860) they are pretty nice.

Back