Network pics thread

Keeping up with the Jones.. New core switch for the lab.. which in turn replaces every switch in my lab

21C31EC8-A242-4A0D-9B6D-495C65C1F0B5-20571-000014C4D9380F06.jpg

lol. Calvin if I knew u wanted one of them I could have sent one ur way long ago. Hit amazon they have the 48 port gigabit blades for 100 bucks.

nice switch calvin.

I'd love to have one of those for a lab setup other than the power draw.

lol. Calvin if I knew u wanted one of them I could have sent one ur way long ago. Hit amazon they have the 48 port gigabit blades for 100 bucks.

I would have been in debt for the 70 lbs of shipping it would have cost. No thanks! On another note I wish it did POE, but I'll live

Will that run on a standard power outlet?

Yes. We plugged it in to a standard wall outlet before I took it home. Fired right up and was able to get in and see the existing config

img-0524.jpg

Poor network rack almost full in one of my cages. Pile of load balancers and firewalls (clustered and non).

I had the pink cables in one of my last jobs, the boss (female) insisted on .

But I did some checks and found we got better throughput on the pink cables than any other!
Even the ones with go faster stripes couldn't keep up with them.

img-0524.jpg

Poor network rack almost full in one of my cages. Pile of load balancers and firewalls (clustered and non).

now this is what this thread needs. Care to elaborate on makes and models? other pics?

I had the pink cables in one of my last jobs, the boss (female) insisted on .

But I did some checks and found we got better throughput on the pink cables than any other!
Even the ones with go faster stripes couldn't keep up with them.

It's because they are CAT 5E Type-R

now this is what this thread needs. Care to elaborate on makes and models? other pics?

all the yellow ones are KEMP load balancers, blue stuff is Juniper, a router on the bottom and I think the other ones are firewall/vpn boxes?

Kemp LM2200's
Juniper SRX 240's
Juniper SSG 350's

There is a pair of 6503's with sup720-3bxl's for routing on the way bottom out of frame.

Because it looks like crap, that's why.

We like pretty cabinets and elegant cabling solutions 'round these here parts.

you can like that all you want

usability is KEY, clean cables and sometimes color coding is the only way to go

the cabling in that pic was ugly. but a pink cable on its own shouldnt be a big deal.

it looks like the pink is for between device connections, which is great, because now you know NOT TO TOUCH THAT ONE EVER

how big is round these parts?

got any pics to share?

Built myself a new 1U pfSense box. Intel D2500CC board for the onboard dual 82574L controllers and chucked a 1000MT adapter I have lying around in just in case I needed some more physical interfaces.

Tops out at 800mb/sec it would seem, the i3-2130 based system its replacing would do wire speed gigabit but for 25w loaded I can suffer it. Need to measure what the i3 system was using exactly but the ups shows 0.15A less. Case was a bargain at £35 and 7 volted they are the quietest 40mm fans i've ever heard and still move enough air.

P1030449.JPG

P1030450.JPG

P1030455.JPG

P1030453.JPG

^^^ looks really good,

My tip,

P1030450.JPG

take that 24 pin power connector from the psu to the main board and route it sideways so air can flow better over that heatsink :)

usually i just black tape it to make it one piece.

Did someone say switches?!?!

Needless to say I have a few spare switches, routers, and battery backups.

The soothing glow of LED lights blinking endlessly as petabytes of data are moved around the world...

7ZPnbh.jpg

I could spend hours here just wandering around in openmouthed awe at the infrastructure. :D

I'd be curious to know how hot those sealed hot-aisles are when everything is running.

I made it to round 1 interview at the Berkley County (Moncks Corner) location.

I knew I would not get it (needed HVAC exp). But I asked how many filled out the app (this was a basic entry level tech position). Over 38,000 resumes/app's were submitted for this basic basic job.

You would troubleshoot servers and chew the hard drives up.....for this position.

I'd be curious to know how hot those sealed hot-aisles are when everything is running.

From the article it says that they shut down all servers on a hot aisle if someone has to go in there.

Which means it must get pretty frickin' hot. Easily over 100F I'd imagine. Probably closer to 120F.

Which means it must get pretty frickin' hot. Easily over 100F I'd imagine. Probably closer to 120F.

That's really not that hot - I mean it is, but considering that it gets over 120 ambient in some parts of southern california, I can't imagine someone can't go in there with some appropriate gear without having to power down the servers.

That's really not that hot - I mean it is, but considering that it gets over 120 ambient in some parts of southern california, I can't imagine someone can't go in there with some appropriate gear without having to power down the servers.

True, i agree.

That Google article and the pictures are fucking sweet. I'd love to get into a spot there if there was a DC closer to where I'm at.

Back