Network pics thread

im assuming you work for a school district as well?

I just started with a school district and we are pretty much all cisco as well. I'm curious what you are using for your setup.

Im guessing you have some sort of chassis, standalone switches and a few boxes of AP's?

Yeah I work for a school district.

The large crate is a 6509E w/ dual Sup 2T, 2 6816 10GE Blades and 1 6848 24p 1GB Blade. It's replacing our current 6513 which was installed in 2004.

Also pictured are:

2 - 5508 Wireless controllers (replacing a WiSM and 4402)
30 - 3600 series AP
6 - Catalyst 3750X switches (replacing a Cat 4507R)
9 - 2960G switches (most of our edge ports are still 10/100 so these are for the 3600s and existing 1142s)
1 - 5548UP Nexus switch (adding 10GE to the datacenter to support UCS)
1 - UCS Bundle with 4 Blades and 2 6248 Fabric Interconnects.

The project goal was to move to 10 GE in the datacenter and extend 10 GE to the MDFs in each district building. Plus most of the modules in our 6513 were going end of support soon so they were replaced.

The servers were spec'd to run a minimum of five years (They are replacing HP ProLiant DL G5 servers) and the switches will probably be in production until they reach end of support.

It's crazy: My company is starving for gear and funding to the point where we are allowing servers to fall out of warranty rather than pay for extending it, and there are companies like this that have ten floors of unused gear. :(

Oh the injustice of it all! /melodrama
Either that, or it's completely just: if you were generating enough revenue, you'd have the money to buy equipment. If you're not generating revenue, why do you need new equipment?

The large crate is a 6509E w/ dual Sup 2T, 2 6816 10GE Blades and 1 6848 24p 1GB Blade. It's replacing our current 6513 which was installed in 2004.

Also pictured are:

30 - 3600 series AP
9 - 2960G switches (most of our edge ports are still 10/100 so these are for the 3600s and existing 1142s)

The project goal was to move to 10 GE in the datacenter and extend 10 GE to the MDFs in each district building. Plus most of the modules in our 6513 were going end of support soon so they were replaced.

The servers were spec'd to run a minimum of five years (They are replacing HP ProLiant DL G5 servers) and the switches will probably be in production until they reach end of support.

Nice. Thats a bit higher end that we have. Each school has either a 6509 or a 6506. The new school we are working on is the new Core 6509 with a WiSM2. All schools are connected by fiber and we also have a 100mb internet link. Each IDF has a 3750 as an aggregate switch that all of the 2960's underneath of it connect to. I wish they were stacked but unfortunately are not. I forget the AP models that we are using but there is quite a few of them. Also hoping to start replacing servers soon since they have some pretty old stuff, rumor I heard was IBM servers in the somewhat near future. We are going to be implementing a couple of Infoblox 550-A's as well and since I have never seen them before I'm quite curious to see what they can really do.

We are also in the process of setting up a Fortigate 3040B to replace the ASA 5520 that is currently in place. I'm hoping I can get my hands on that once its taken out of service :D

Nice. Thats a bit higher end that we have. Each school has either a 6509 or a 6506. The new school we are working on is the new Core 6509 with a WiSM2. All schools are connected by fiber and we also have a 100mb internet link. Each IDF has a 3750 as an aggregate switch that all of the 2960's underneath of it connect to. I wish they were stacked but unfortunately are not. I forget the AP models that we are using but there is quite a few of them. Also hoping to start replacing servers soon since they have some pretty old stuff, rumor I heard was IBM servers in the somewhat near future. We are going to be implementing a couple of Infoblox 550-A's as well and since I have never seen them before I'm quite curious to see what they can really do.

We are also in the process of setting up a Fortigate 3040B to replace the ASA 5520 that is currently in place. I'm hoping I can get my hands on that once its taken out of service :D

You guys suck you know that? I would love to play with that stuff.

I feel the same way when I see what some other guys get to play with.

You guys suck you know that? I would love to play with that stuff.

It's nice when we get new stuff but we don't get it very often. Our networking gear has a long lifecycle. I finally get to replace the last Catalyst 2948G switch on the network that was originally installed in 1999.

I'm glad I got to replace our chassis switches at the school MDFs. The cabling was a nightmare. Our high school had a 6513 with 6 48 port blades. The 3750 stack is much cleaner.

Cabling is a nightmare at some of them that I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to fix them but I'm going to do my best to get as much cleaned up as I can.

I miss that new gear feeling, we got 8 new Dell PowerEdge R710's in at work about 8 months ago but nothing else lately :(

Last year my team was building network stacks for a lot of branch sites and we had new 2811's and 3750's in boxes piled up all over the shop :D

Upgrading my pfsense firewall, still need to ad my 20x4 LCD

7735680932_7a28bb0917_c.jpg

7735681298_fd748627b4_c.jpg
2 questions, which NIC is that, and also hows the flex riser working out so far?

edit: any chance we could get a parts list?

More unused toys laying around at work. Lots of other more common large Cisco gear (6513s, 7513s, etc) not pictured. Excuse the quality, but unfortunately my Nokia N9 is not a DSLR.

Cisco 10008 with various OC3, DS3, and ethernet line cards:

12080001s.jpg

Pair of Cisco 12416s. I didn't really bother checking what line cards it has or whether the switched fabric cards were 320gbit or 1.28tbit.

12080005s.jpg
fuck me, I dont want to think about what that would cost o_O

2 questionshat, and also hows the flex riser working out so far?, which NIC is t

edit: any chance we could get a parts list?
I've been using flexi riser in my pfsense box with an intel dual pt nic now over well over 6 months with no issues at all.

Also pictured are:

30 - 3600 series AP

I work with a school through the company I work at that just did 10GBe through-out, unfortunately nothing i got to see or play with. covers I think it was, 8 major universities

Last edited:
I've been using flexi riser in my pfsense box with an intel dual pt nic now over well over 6 months with no issues at all.
coolies, I am thinking about getting an x16 version to run a custom install of a gf 560ti 448 in a SSF box I have. Its gonna take a bit of serious finagling to get it to fit lmao.

The whole idea is to have a computer that I can take to lan's where I only have to carry a monitor in one hand, a drink in the other while the kbd and all cables are in the backpack with the pc..

It has a low pro gts 250 1gb in it now, which is just enough for most games w/o AA and AF.
(it has been tweeked a little bit since this photo, this was following purchase of tower and install of the upgraded cpu/ram/psu's/vga)
a726f25c.jpg

Nice, I want to play around with CUCM when I finish my CCNP work on some voice certs.

Here is my Diagram I drew up when I was living in an apartment last year close to a friend who wanted to use my wireless internet. Create two network segments firewalled between each other, allowing my freidn to connect to the internet over 21,80, 443, and DNS queries. No bit torrents for him :-p

First time putting together IPTables in this much detail.

photo-78111.jpg

Either that, or it's completely just: if you were generating enough revenue, you'd have the money to buy equipment. If you're not generating revenue, why do you need new equipment?

Having the $$$$ does *not* = *spending* the $$$$.

devin, we had an engineer from CDW on site who did all the configs, all we really had to do was give them network info, install the equipment in the rack and set out all the phones. I could not imagine doing this install on my own!

question for someone.... i am redoing my network rack and moving it all to a new rack and recabling.,.

now iwill have lines running out from this rack to servers, in my network only rack, it will be only my switches and patch panels... when running a line to the servers should i use the patch panels and punch them in, or just run crimped cables from the switch to the servers directly and leave out the middle man.

question for someone.... i am redoing my network rack and moving it all to a new rack and recabling.,.

now iwill have lines running out from this rack to servers, in my network only rack, it will be only my switches and patch panels... when running a line to the servers should i use the patch panels and punch them in, or just run crimped cables from the switch to the servers directly and leave out the middle man.

Post pic so we can see what you have for racks ?

fuck me, I dont want to think about what that would cost o_O
I'd tell you the actual price, but I have no idea where the invoices are and it isn't something that has a listed price anywhere unfortunately. I imagine well into the 6 figure range though.

Too far to get premade cables??

From a switch to the servers, its probably just easier to run cables instead of going to a patch panel but definitely could go to a patch panel. One thing about running from switch straight to the servers, you eliminate a possible point of failure if for some reason the patch panel gets rustled about and the punched down side loses a connection, by doing this you eliminate one more thing you'd have to check if you suspect a bad cable or the server is having an issue. just some food for thought.

Easier to reconfigure if you run to the patch panel; I also think it's easier to document and inspect. Fewer points of failure if you connect to the switches.

Nice clean rack and good patch work. What are you studying for? :)

thank you.

i wanted to get a job at freshdirect.com, it's an all cisco operation. i interviewed for 40minutes, but was lacking in cisco experience. the guy told me that the easiest and fastest way to learn would be to have a lab at home. so that's what i did. i went through all the ccna labs, then proceeded to ccnp. i never took the tests at the time i didn't have the money, then i got a job at intel working on mobile platforms and android, so the cisco took a back seat. i found this forum today looking for home networking labs, so i figured i would join.

there are some awesome home labs, and some colos remind me of my days working in colos, transport and switching. cabling nightmares (till today), unrealistic deadlines and a steady stream of irate customers. wow, telecom huh? i'm breaking into a cold sweat....:D

WHy do you have the switches going to patch panels? I can understand the routers to keep cabling under control but not seeing the point point of the switches?:confused:

It was done so that lab can be....

1. reconfigured much easier
2. i had patch panels, so i wanted to use them
3. i had a great deal of time on my hands then, so i wanted to go all out

Additionally, with the patch panel I can face all the equipment in the same direction, i.e. all front facing one way, because the ports are punched to the panel with all needed patching done at the panel. No mess around the switches or routers from dangling patch cables.

This is only part of my equipment, I have more but need cabinets and want a few servers. Also I just moved, so the lab is in pieces at the moment.

Back