Network pics thread

Red - Internet Links from modem to router, router to switch.
Black - Ethernet Devices (Desktops, Printers, etc)
Purple - Storage. NAS, iSCSI, etc
Yellow - Wireless
Green - Servers
White - Phones
Orange - DRAC/ management cards

Home Cisco Lab, been collecting equipment over the past year. Have found physical hardware much better to lab with than virtual solutions.

Currently working towards CCNP, I share this with several coworkers and since power is controlled remotely I am not raped on my power bill.

IMG_0553.jpg

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers
3x 2650 Routers (Was able to install the mx IOS of 12.4T, so far no issues)
5x 3640 Routers (Got a really good deal for purchasing the bulk via ebay)

:p A bit overkill but the topology is setup in a way I rarely (if ever) need to swap cabling. Its setup to allow multiple lab scenarios by just altering ports being up or down. All equipment turned on eats about 800W of power.

Home Cisco Lab, been collecting equipment over the past year. Have found physical hardware much better to lab with than virtual solutions.

Currently working towards CCNP, I share this with several coworkers and since power is controlled remotely I am not raped on my power bill.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x17/smcline06/IMG_0553.jpg

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers

:p A bit overkill but the topology is setup in a way I rarely (if ever) need to swap cabling. Its setup to allow multiple lab scenarios by just altering ports being up or down. All equipment turned on eats about 800W of power.

Holy crap! LOVE your cabling job! So clean.

What did that whole setup cost you? If you don't mind me asking.

Red - Internet Links from modem to router, router to switch.
Black - Ethernet Devices (Desktops, Printers, etc)
Purple - Storage. NAS, iSCSI, etc
Yellow - Wireless
Green - Servers
White - Phones
Orange - DRAC/ management cards

Oh see you just reminded me of a couple I missed

We use Purple for NAS/storage too and Red for the links to internet devices :)

High five for having a pretty similar color scheme!

Asked network guy about maybe one more switch. Was told yea he had one.

Went to go pickup stuff, and he tried to offload ton more stuff than I needed. Ended up splitting it with a friend so he could study for CCNA and forward too.

I ended up getting a 2620 and a PIX-525.

Thoughts? lol..

Stick a 1.1GHz cpu in the PIX and you'll be cooking. Wish they had more flash so you could run the latest os and asdm but whatever. I've got to get a failover cable at some point for my pair. (UR+FO)

Stick a 1.1GHz cpu in the PIX and you'll be cooking. Wish they had more flash so you could run the latest os and asdm but whatever. I've got to get a failover cable at some point for my pair. (UR+FO)

You can upgrade the CPU in the thing? I haven't checked it out much.

I am thinking of replacing the PIX 501 I was working on with it instead.

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers

WOW! You can't see me from wherever you are...but I'm bowing down to you. That looks better than our lab @ work - a lot better.
What is the device @ the very bottom of the rack, with the LCD screen? Another PDU?

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers

Wow that's an awesome setup!

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers

Really like those clean setups :cool:

About the color coding, I mostly use:
  • Blue: Primary uplinks and generic LAN connections
  • Yellow: Secondary uplinks
  • Orange: Management
  • Purple: iSCSI
  • Red: Heartbeat
  • Green: VoIP

Yea, I love some color schemes.

Sadly at work our Color scheme is everything is blue. They are working on trying to phase that out.

4x 2950 Layer 2 Switches
2x 3550 Layer 3 Switches
2x 1841 Routers

That is a work of art

It's just a lab? Why so much equipment for so little ROI?I explain my opinon in post 9358.

Ok yeah, see your point with that part, I wonder why they put the CPU at the front and not the rear.. Would be better to keep the "hot" components at the rear of the chassis.. With the CPU being at the front your blowing the hot air over the heatsink and into the chassis....:confused:

Holy crap! LOVE your cabling job! So clean.

What did that whole setup cost you? If you don't mind me asking.

I wanna say around 800-1000 over the last year. The 5x Cisco 3640's were the best deal since 1 was free and 4 were $125 total with shipping XP

The killer were the 2x1841 at $250 a pop. Its being built with CCNP/CCIE requirements in mind. - So far it has been worth every penny!

I wanna say around 800-1000 over the last year. The 5x Cisco 3640's were the best deal since 1 was free and 4 were $125 total with shipping XP

The killer were the 2x1841 at $250 a pop. Its being built with CCNP/CCIE requirements in mind. - So far it has been worth every penny!

250$ for a 1841.... damn....

where do you buy the long running side cable organizers?

just got a 2 post rack to redo my networking in and was considering getting some but cant find them locally.

That's high actually. I just got an 2x1841 and an 1811 for $300.

Wow, I've been paying $250 each for 1841's :(

You find this deal on eBay??

I've got a consulting contract that I could use these on.

UPDATE: Looking on eBay, it seems that the bottom just dropped off the market for used 1841's. I may need to snag a couple ;)

The Cisco boxes seem to be multiplying like rabbits. I'll be busy the next three weeks as this has to be deployed by the start of school.

The Cisco boxes seem to be multiplying like rabbits. I'll be busy the next three weeks as this has to be deployed by the start of school.

im assuming you work for a school district as well?

I just started with a school district and we are pretty much all cisco as well. I'm curious what you are using for your setup.

Im guessing you have some sort of chassis, standalone switches and a few boxes of AP's?

That's an interesting setup for the SIM card... the goal is to have it swappable for the outside?
Any plans to remove the PSU from the case? I have a similar setup and I need to fabricate a bracket where the PSU needs to be... mine's running fanless for the time being.

More unused toys laying around at work. Lots of other more common large Cisco gear (6513s, 7513s, etc) not pictured. Excuse the quality, but unfortunately my Nokia N9 is not a DSLR.

Cisco 10008 with various OC3, DS3, and ethernet line cards:

12080001s.jpg

Pair of Cisco 12416s. I didn't really bother checking what line cards it has or whether the switched fabric cards were 320gbit or 1.28tbit.

12080005s.jpg

Wow, I've been paying $250 each for 1841's :(

You find this deal on eBay??

I've got a consulting contract that I could use these on.

UPDATE: Looking on eBay, it seems that the bottom just dropped off the market for used 1841's. I may need to snag a couple ;)
You were not kidding! I should have sold mine months ago. Not worth selling it now... need to think of a use for it.

Btw, just got a VNX 5700, some Nexus 5596's and third gen UCS stuff in at work, pics later this week.

That's an interesting setup for the SIM card... the goal is to have it swappable for the outside?
Any plans to remove the PSU from the case? I have a similar setup and I need to fabricate a bracket where the PSU needs to be... mine's running fanless for the time being.

Hey

yeah my plan was to make the sim swappable for the outside, but thats on holde right now, no where to put it :/

actual the PSU is fanless, its an Pico-psu80, where I have but the power brick inside the psu case, didden won't the power brick hanging inside my rack.

Got a new home router today, 512MB of memory, 128MB flash, NM-1T3/E3 card, running 12.4.
It had a rather interesting config I had to save it, I haven't had a chance to look at many production configs.

IMG_20120808_074012.jpg

IMG_20120808_074041.jpg

Last edited:
Pair of Cisco 12416s. I didn't really bother checking what line cards it has or whether the switched fabric cards were 320gbit or 1.28tbit.
I laughed at this pretty hard. As far as I can see, you've got these two powerful switches but they're not connected to anything and they're in this giant lonely room.

I laughed at this pretty hard. As far as I can see, you've got these two powerful switches but they're not connected to anything and they're in this giant lonely room.
There are about 10 floors of unused equipment like that here. Much of it hasn't been touched in 5 years. Lots of stuff for me to play with though since I can't really break it. I'll post more pictures as I go through each floor.

There are about 10 floors of unused equipment like that here. Much of it hasn't been touched in 5 years. Lots of stuff for me to play with though since I can't really break it. I'll post more pictures as I go through each floor.

It's crazy: My company is starving for gear and funding to the point where we are allowing servers to fall out of warranty rather than pay for extending it, and there are companies like this that have ten floors of unused gear. :(

Oh the injustice of it all! /melodrama

But in better news it looks like a partner is getting out of the hosting business and wre willing to sell us about $800k of gear for $50k, including an EMC CX700, three HP7000 bladecenters (fully populated) and a grip of networking gear. We'll see if that goes through...

Back