Network pics thread

The 5505's are the enhanced versions that can do a whopping 20 VLAN's instead of 3. :D

Also the 5510 version has GbE. :)

I'm considering buying a 5505 just to tinker around with and learn more of the ASA on my own.

WP_000160.jpg

WP_000161.jpg

WP_000162.jpg

I have lurked here for some time so I figured it's time to share my pain, er pics, with everyone. I'm about to start the cleanup process so I wanted some before pics. I have another rack with four more servers setup in a sweltering warehouse basement that are going to be moved to this room soon. Wish me luck!

Got this lot home from work today.

They were all ready to be skipped as some of them have broken screens / issues.
Am hoping to make a couple of decent ones from the lot. The 2 shiny top ones are EEEPC 1005HA's and the rest are EEEPC 1001P. If I can get some of the 1001P's working they'll probably be used as student laptops again, the other 2 I'd like to use as dualboot Windows/Linux machines for myself at work.

Also moved my Pi to a better, more permanent place; it was becoming a pain to have to plug it all in and into a TV every time I wanted to use it. I just VNC into it now.
Excuse the Nyan Cat desktop background on the screen, I left my PC at college remoted onto the server and came back to it like that. haven't got round to changing it lol.

Some updates to my home lab :)

nothing compared to some stuff on here but I'm only 17 so it's a start! :p

New 1950 and 2950 and old 2850 which is refusing to POST :( tried removing everything and it still won't display anything/make any beeps :(

1950:

1x Xeon E5405 2.0Ghz
4GB ECC 5300F RAM
Perc 6/i (not being used)
Running ESXi 5.0 off a 2gb memory stick

2950:

2x Xeon E5405 2.0Ghz
8GB ECC 5300F RAM
Perc 6/i
2x 2TB RAID0
2x 300GB 15K SAS RAID0
1x 2TB
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter
Running ESXi 5.0 off a 2gb memory stick

dsc2111.jpg

dsc2113e.jpg

Main Switch Cisco Linksys SPS2024 24 Port Gigabit Fully Managed Switch

Second switch (running DRAC and AP's off of it.) Cisco Catalyst 3550XL

dsc2116q.jpg

dsc2118y.jpg

Top Box: Used as vCentre Server and NFS Server for ESXi Storage.

AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.0GHz
4GB RAM
2x 1TB RAID0
1x 3TB
1x 500GB System Drive
Server 2008 R2

Bottom Box:

Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter - Teamed.
Running ESXi off a 2gb memory Stick.

dsc2119n.jpg

Network Cable Run from switches to Servers:

dsc2120b.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to pick one up, but I'm having trouble finding one for under $200 - I know they're worth that much... but, I'd love to catch one for a steal.

I've seen a few on ebay for under $200 but they are used or missing the power adapter. I've also seen some that are brand new for $200. I may just end up biting the bullet and picking one of them up.

I would love to pick one up, but I'm having trouble finding one for under $200 - I know they're worth that much... but, I'd love to catch one for a steal.

I thought about it too, but I'd probably tax it out with clans and inter routing and other things. I think imaging to be implementing my astaro box soon.

Is that an Alienware rackmount chassis?

Alienware's 2U Hivemind 2525 is a new rack server touted to offer a powerful server solution for the ever-expanding needs of today's business environment. The 2U Hivemind 2525 rack server comes loaded with dual Intel Xeon processors for the ultimate in performance and stability. Xeon processors enable more data to be processed in less time by featuring an 800MHz front side bus and increased clock speeds. With Intel Hyper-Threading technology, the Hivemind 2525 enhances your productivity by allowing multiple tasks to be run simultaneously and increasing performance on multithreaded application

Processor
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz Processor, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB

Memory
512MB (2X256) ECC DDR SDRAM

Storage
Up to six hot swap bays
for up to 2.4 TB storage

They are pretty rare to see. I believe they are just Supermicro chassis with an Alienware bezel.

Hellarda, that is quite a setup! Very cool.
Feffrey, nice name lol...that rack has a bit of everything...even sound equipment!

Is that an Alienware rackmount chassis?

Yup, just like dashpuppy said. There is another one in the other room that will be moving back.

Jay, if you were talking about my Barracuda box, it's the spam filter for our mail server. I loathe it. Anytime I need to do anything it takes forever for it to respond. Most of the time it will timeout and I have to start over.

I'm looking into switching to SmarterMail and buying the spam service that can plug into it and tossing the Barracuda down the stairs.

Yup, just like dashpuppy said. There is another one in the other room that will be moving back.

Jay, if you were talking about my Barracuda box, it's the spam filter for our mail server. I loathe it. Anytime I need to do anything it takes forever for it to respond. Most of the time it will timeout and I have to start over.

I'm looking into switching to SmarterMail and buying the spam service that can plug into it and tossing the Barracuda down the stairs.

Yes, the interface on Barracuda's is SLLLLOOOOOOWWWW. Our mail filter is even slower than our web filter.

Cisco emailed us a few months ago saying that they were going to upgrade our C100 appliance since it was EOL. My boss figured we would get the C150 to replace it, but they sent a C170 instead:

Outside Hot Swap drives

c1701.jpg

Full frontal

c1702.jpg

Obligatory all internal shot

c1703.jpg

Closeup of the hotswap "backplane"

c1704.jpg

Moar [H] internal shots

c1705.jpg

Cisco emailed us a few months ago saying that they were going to upgrade our C100 appliance since it was EOL. My boss figured we would get the C150 to replace it, but they sent a C170 instead:

Outside Hot Swap drives

http://www.tft.com/brandon/c1701.jpg

Full frontal

http://www.tft.com/brandon/c1702.jpg

Obligatory all internal shot

http://www.tft.com/brandon/c1703.jpg

Closeup of the hotswap "backplane"

http://www.tft.com/brandon/c1704.jpg

Moar [H] internal shots

http://www.tft.com/brandon/c1705.jpg

They did the same thing with us, but we had 150's and they sent us 160's instead. :(

Outside Hot Swap drives

NOW THOSE are some small sata cables, and a GOD DAM SEXY looking piece of hardware !

Those hot-swap bays always remind me of those old white compaq ppro-p2 generation proliants.

Installed a backup setup at a place today and saw one of those Barracuda backup boxes, never seen one before. Sad part was he had 2 new DL360 G7s not even plugged in because he hasn't had time to set them up.

Those hot-swap bays always remind me of those old white compaq ppro-p2 generation proliants.

Installed a backup setup at a place today and saw one of those Barracuda backup boxes, never seen one before. Sad part was he had 2 new DL360 G7s not even plugged in because he hasn't had time to set them up.

I just built 2 Supermirco's with socket 2011

(x2) Intel Xeon E5-2630 Six-Core.
64GB ECC DDR3 1333mhz
x12 1TB Velocity raptors.

Not in use yet. Just sitting until we need them -_-

Yes, the interface on Barracuda's is SLLLLOOOOOOWWWW. Our mail filter is even slower than our web filter.

Ours was terrible too. Complain to barracuda, mention how it's affecting your department, and how you were looking into other options. They replaced our devices for free.

Asked network guy about maybe one more switch. Was told yea he had one.

Went to go pickup stuff, and he tried to offload ton more stuff than I needed. Ended up splitting it with a friend so he could study for CCNA and forward too.

I ended up getting a 2620 and a PIX-525.

2012-07-28%2002.11.46.jpg

Not.. even sure where to begin with everything I have now. The pile is growing exponentially.

Thoughts? lol..

NOW THOSE are some small sata cables, and a GOD DAM SEXY looking piece of hardware !
Are we looking at the same thing? I'm seeing a board that's super sparse and loaded with discrete passive components. Why would the design mandate that? Then, there's half a dozen BGA pads that have no parts on them.

What about full rack?
Those are some old servers! We took most of those SUpermicro (er, Chenbro?) chassis out of production, but we still have a few lying around. What is your power density?

Went to go pickup stuff, and he tried to offload ton more stuff than I needed. Ended up splitting it with a friend so he could study for CCNA and forward too.

Not.. even sure where to begin with everything I have now. The pile is growing exponentially.

Thoughts? lol..

nice :D

bigger rack is the obvious thought :D

http://random.kennocha.com/pictures/ccna/2012-07-28 02.11.46.jpg

Thoughts? lol..

Do you need to buy that hardware to learn CCNA (other network stuff)?

Are we looking at the same thing? I'm seeing a board that's super sparse and loaded with discrete passive components. Why would the design mandate that? Then, there's half a dozen BGA pads that have no parts on them.

Those are some old servers! We took most of those SUpermicro (er, Chenbro?) chassis out of production, but we still have a few lying around. What is your power density?

This picture,

c1705.jpg

Look at the small sata cables, ( a few threads back some one said something about small sata cables )

Do you need to buy that hardware to learn CCNA (other network stuff)?

You don't NEED to. You can use packet tracer for CCNA. A real lab just gives you hands-on time with the physical hardware. I much prefer physical to virtual, though it's nice to sometimes just fire up PacketTracer instead of turning on my rack when it's hot outside.

You don't NEED to. You can use packet tracer for CCNA. A real lab just gives you hands-on time with the physical hardware. I much prefer physical to virtual, though it's nice to sometimes just fire up PacketTracer instead of turning on my rack when it's hot outside.

I am the same. While I don't need what I have, I have learned a lot more by having a physical device that was secured and locked down that I had to learn how to break into, I can see physical ports, how to install the WIC's, creating T1 cables and so forth.

Plus all I had to pay for was a few rack ears, PDU, and serial console server, and I have a pretty nice rack going.

Hey does anyone have a color coding plan for their cables? I'm setting up my network but wanted to see what other people use ie green for data red for critical connections (like modem to switch)
I know there isn't a standard but meh learn from others...

Hey does anyone have a color coding plan for their cables? I'm setting up my network but wanted to see what other people use ie green for data red for critical connections (like modem to switch)
I know there isn't a standard but meh learn from others...

Everyone has their own method but I'll share mine

White= Phone system, PBX, IP phones, etc
Blue= host computer
Green= Static device, Printer, Access point, do not unplug. Use green lines for all the servers normal 1gb connections too in the datacenter
Orange= Don't touch, connections to critical infrastructure. Uplink's to the core etc
Yellow= DRAC/Lights management line. Only used in the datacenter for server management

Back