Network pics thread

they are great switches for the money. just be careful if you are running anything like OSPF. once you hit 224 dynamic routes, those switches will start shitting all over themselves. If you are just using them for user connectivity, you are good to go.

Got rid of the nasty solder splicing and put in a proper terminal block for all my sensor connections:

I should have plenty of gnd, +5v and +12v for future additions as well. If I end up needing more, there's room. I was going to use a separate PSU for this but decided to just branch off the one in the server. This is all very low current stuff. The nice thing with this is if the server is shut down then the relay controller for the furnace and any other circuit boards I add to this system will shut down too. So in the event where the server crashes and the furnace relay is stuck on because the software is no longer controlling it, at least I can shut down the server remotely via IPMI to reset the board.

More sensors for various stuff around the house will be going in as well. I have an arduino board I've been messing with.

they are great switches for the money. just be careful if you are running anything like OSPF. once you hit 224 dynamic routes, those switches will start shitting all over themselves. If you are just using them for user connectivity, you are good to go.

thats pretty much all im going to be using them for. IP phones/cams and a few pc's :) cant beat the price i got this for too 700$ is damn cheap for a 48 Port POE

Is the idea really that people post pictures and nobody comments on them or asks questions?

Fine,

guess what switch this is make and model, and ill give you a nice chewy internet cookie..

DSCN0224.JPG

I'm too distracted by that pager... wtf year is it!? :D

Squirrel, nice job...those terminal strips look good.
FriskyPen, we use 6248 switches throughout our office...they seem pretty solid.

We have the 6224P as our core Switch, they are rock solid but mind you we only have simple VLAN routing , some ACL's and a couple of static routes, that's it, nothing hardcore.

Never had any problems with it.

What can replace a pager? I haven't found a cell phone that alerts until it is reset like a pager does.

exactly, plus pagers get VERY GOOD range :)

I was under ground last week doing a backplane replacement and my pager went off, DAMN i was like 3 floors down too..

we still have pagers as well but I refuse to get one. I just have to remember to check my phone when i have left it somewhere, which is rare

The noise of the 6248 is prolly gonna be a issue. anyone know how i can quiet down these fans a little?

Love the switch. just a little on the noisy side.

exactly, plus pagers get VERY GOOD range :)

I was under ground last week doing a backplane replacement and my pager went off, DAMN i was like 3 floors down too..

Hahaha the hospital here uses the same pagers for doctors. It's meant to work only on hospital premisses but I tested one at the other end of town and it worked. No wonder everybody is dying of cancer in there. :D Somebody needs to turn down the gain on that antenna. :p

Those pagers are rock solid though. They are bulky but they can survive a drop down several flights of stairs, get stepped on, etc and still keep going.

Server room AC decided to DIE!!!

F76Z0.png

Got a 10K BTU portable APC unit in there and it's leveled off at 86 degrees. :)

Could have been worse, thanks to PRTG for letting me know what the fuck's up. :D

yA21H.png

Also glad I bought the portable without asking.

Last edited:
Ouch, that's hot!

Yeah, I even powered off two hypervisors to see if I could cut extra heat. It seems to have leveled at 86, though I wish it would drop lower to 80'ish. :(

However it's still better than triple digits killing my hardware. :)

Our main unit is 25K BTU, so this 10K BTU unit is not going to drop it any lower...

Hahaha the hospital here uses the same pagers for doctors. It's meant to work only on hospital premisses but I tested one at the other end of town and it worked. No wonder everybody is dying of cancer in there. :D Somebody needs to turn down the gain on that antenna. :p

Those pagers are rock solid though. They are bulky but they can survive a drop down several flights of stairs, get stepped on, etc and still keep going.

yeah. The hospital my boss works at has pagers too. pretty sure shes dropped them down 4 flights of stairs :D

yikes!

here we have triple digits coming th-fri :( of course high yesterday and today was 80

Nasty. We have 25C around here, (77F). That's as hot as I'll take, anything over that and it's just uncomfortable. Though I can't complain even when we do get such heats, after 10 months of winter. :p I have a 1 ton AC unit for my <100sqft office to take care of days like that. My server stuff in the basement stays cool enough. Even 30C is not that bad for servers if it's not sustained that long.

Server room AC decided to DIE!!!

F76Z0.png

Got a 10K BTU portable APC unit in there and it's leveled off at 86 degrees. :)

Could have been worse, thanks to PRTG for letting me know what the fuck's up. :D

yA21H.png

Also glad I bought the portable without asking.

lol.

Our AC failed at work and it got up to 112 in there.SAN started spamming emails saying discs were overheating was our first alert, UCS was freaking out, was a good time.

We have no portable AC so we just had to get fans going and hope it didnt get any hotter while we had a service call out.

Worse comes to worse, get a big block of dry ice and put it in front of the SAN. LOL Or a can of compressed air, backwards. Winter smoke. Don't breathe this. :p

Might be a good time to budget a redundant AC system!

I already told them that the new building gets redundant dedicated AC's for the server room. :D

lol.

Our AC failed at work and it got up to 112 in there.SAN started spamming emails saying discs were overheating was our first alert, UCS was freaking out, was a good time.

We have no portable AC so we just had to get fans going and hope it didnt get any hotter while we had a service call out.

Also, closing the door on our server room did not help; it spiked and kept climbing. So we left it open, stuck a fan blowing cooler air from the hall. I also told the main upstairs AC to stay on all night as well.

S00v2.png

On the upside, leaving the door open got it down to 84. And the afternoon is now finally starting to cool down, so it might drop below 80 for sure. :)

I would think when people "Leave for the night" it should come down more, systems will have less load on them.

I would think when people "Leave for the night" it should come down more, systems will have less load on them.

That and no in/out people in the building running around, plus it's cooler at night in general.

I'm eyeballing it on my right screen non-stop.

Its awesome you can monitor that. Im wondering how cheap i can get some small remote monitoring- rack is on the other side of the room, would like to know server temps and ambient around rack without having to get up.

Its awesome you can monitor that. Im wondering how cheap i can get some small remote monitoring- rack is on the other side of the room, would like to know server temps and ambient around rack without having to get up.

$80 bucks for a used netbotz on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-NBPD015...ty_Systems&hash=item5ae7b656f0#ht_1747wt_1139

Goes into the rack and gives you temp/humidity monitoring (ambient). + you can add sensors to it I think.
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=NBPD0150&tab=features

I'm using the APC environmental sensor addon attached to my UPS network monitoring interface (snmp) card.

If your servers have IPMI you should be able to pull data from your management interface if I'm not mistaken. That's on my to-do list for monitoring as well.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heh reminds me of last year when AC failed at a customer's site that has a "server room" aka phone closet. They have a cooled cabinet (not a fan) which also bit the dust because the breaker tripped but anyway inside the cabinet it was 120+ F lol. I've got to say those Proliant G5 and G6s are troopers haha.

Recently this place had their old bladesystem, 2 old proliants and new non-prod server go down when the AC tripped a different breaker. Go figure. New circuits are now wired in lol. If I had more say the setup would not be anywhere near as shitty or ghetto.

Mike thats a great option, as far as ipmi, one server does, but I have never tried to set it up. maybe a future project.

Back