Network pics thread

Aight, I finally got round to getting outside and start upgrading the ML from 2K3 to 2K8.

Where it's living atm
All the drives
Don't like the look of drive 4 and 0 there, but they seem to be working ok.
Not sure if it's visible, I can see it because I know it's there. To the right of the pic is a tumble dryer, we used it quite alot recently and the hotswap parts on the drives have started to rust up a little.
I'm hoping it'll get warmer soon so I can completely strip it down and clean it out.

Also managed to finish off my POE project today,
5ac27869.jpg

8adeb51d.jpg

:)

Ultra320 SCSI? It's like 2003 up in here!

Heh yeah, if it works though :)

Just realised that drive 0 is the hot spare or something? That'll be why it looks dead lol.
Afaik it's just finishing upgrading, I'll have to run down there in a sec and do all the password/timezones and stuff.

//EDIT
@Dash, only 1 was plugged in :)

IMG_20120310_124410.jpg

Figured I would finally contribute something to this thread after lurking and drooling over the pics for so long. I finished building this rack last week and just got everything loaded in today.

Cisco lab at the top, with my HTPC on the shelf (cable modem and wireless AP/switch behind it). On the bottom, a 24-bay server w/ dual Xeon 5060 and 8GB memory, then my pfSense box (Athlon 64 X2 4200, 2GB) and my ancient Sony receiver.

Ah the old Cisco aqua/greenblue... doesn't go with anything and stands out like a sore thumb.. but they work

Heh yeah, if it works though :)

Just realised that drive 0 is the hot spare or something? That'll be why it looks dead lol.
Afaik it's just finishing upgrading, I'll have to run down there in a sec and do all the password/timezones and stuff.

//EDIT
@Dash, only 1 was plugged in :)

We might have some 74 and 146gb drives around here, I should check.

Mike im still using u320 scsi for my esxi box...

Dash that is a sexy looking appliance, what did that run you? I totally want one...

Powerconnect 5448 (I hope to replace soon with redundant 6224's)
Powerconnect 3524P
1x Powervault NX3100
5x Poweredge R710's

Dell 62XX BLOW. Do NOT buy that trash.

If your ever plan to do ANY layer3 at all get some real switches, Cisco 3560G, Force10 S55, Juniper Ex3200/4200... Just because you have some dell server's don't mean their re-branded SMC gear is good to.

We have TONS of gear and I can give you examples where a 62XX will explode.

If your ever plan to do ANY layer3 at all get some real switches, Cisco 3560G, Force10 S55, Juniper Ex3200/4200... Just because you have some dell server's don't mean their re-branded SMC gear is good to.

6200 Powerconnects are Broadcom based, and some other Dell's are Marvell Technology Group..

Dell - $1399.00 (And probably less with out Government discount)
Force 10 S55 $9,611.00
Cisco 3560G $5,186.10
Juniper EX4200-24T-DC $4,672.99

We are a SMB of 20 people with very little traffic on our network, at most those 5448's (Programs that run on them are crap and the companies won't support them in a VM environment)

Are the Dell's are really that bad to justify $10,000 for 2 switches when I could buy 9 dell's for the price. I have a 6224f that we haven't had any problems with, and our 2x 5448's haven't had any problems at all. None of our 3x 3525P's or 1x 3548P's have had problems either. We do not do much layer 3 at all, only layer 3 we have now is to give 2 public access computers access to printers on internal vlan.

6200 Powerconnects are Broadcom based, and some other Dell's are Marvell Technology Group..

Force 10 S55 $9,611.00
Cisco 3560G $5,186.10

We are a SMB of 20 people with very little traffic on our network, at most those 5448's (Programs that run on them are crap and the companies won't support them in a VM environment)

Are the Dell's are really that bad to justify $10,000 for 2 switches when I could buy 9 dell's for the price. I have a 6224f that we haven't had any problems with, and our 2x 5448's haven't had any problems at all. None of our 3x 3525P's or 1x 3548P's have had problems either. We do not do much layer 3 at all, only layer 3 we have now is to give 2 public access computers access to printers on internal vlan.

HP has some layer 2/3 stuff in that price range.

I don't know how well that would work. Im using a TZ210 right now with vlan support and im maxing the cpu out when transferring info across the vlans, IE backups & files to my storage nas untis.

Some times i wish i bought a layer3 switch so it did all the dhcp & routing at the switch, instead of going through the firewall..

then don't do ROAS on an ASA, do your inter vlan routing on a layer 3 switch, and use the firewall as a firewall?

my 2 are even older and do about 120K PPS

replacing them with 2911's that do about 180K (we arent that big) in a week or two

Currently utilizing a pair of SRX 240's at the edge, with routing+firewall enabled they do 200K pps, we're pretty small. I actually enjoy working with JUNOS now, not so much at the start.

Force 10 S55 $9,611.00
Cisco 3560G $5,186.10

The 62XX is fine for layer 2. We've been using them for a couple years pushing several gigs of layer 2 traffic, without a single hiccup. That said, Dell does have some newer switches like the 55XX series.

That 5grand cisco switch will last forever tho.

Configure it correctly once, i bet it will outlive long past it being retired.

Mike im still using u320 scsi for my esxi box...
Hopefully, you'll be ready to upgrade soon!

Force 10 S55 $9,611.00
Cisco 3560G $5,186.10
These are retail prices. Your Juniper or Cisco salesperson can probably get you a discount if you buy gear from them. If you have a GSA contract, then I can't imagine you'd have trouble getting a discount under those MSRP numbers. (Or are GSA contracts just a great way to get screwed, since it's the government and all?)

Are you using -48VDC, BTW? If not, the EX4200-24T is cheaper than the EX4200-24T-DC.

Just 40TB of usable raid 6.
On 2TB SAS? Wow. What's it for?

why are so many people using RAID 6 these days?
What's the alternative?

I prefer RAID10, I know there is a big hit on disk space but it the write speed of RAID6 that keeps me away

These are retail prices. Your Juniper or Cisco salesperson can probably get you a discount if you buy gear from them. If you have a GSA contract, then I can't imagine you'd have trouble getting a discount under those MSRP numbers. (Or are GSA contracts just a great way to get screwed, since it's the government and all?)

Are you using -48VDC, BTW? If not, the EX4200-24T is cheaper than the EX4200-24T-DC.

The Cisco price is the lowest price I can get through a state contract. I don't need POE, the EX4200-24T CDWG lists as being POE.

The most layer 3 I plan on using is routing between a management vlan (for switches, WCS, etc) and the vlan the desktops are on (with ACL). Which, I'd imagine our sonicwall's could handle seeing as it's very low traffic.

The Cisco price is the lowest price I can get through a state contract. I don't need POE, the EX4200-24T CDWG lists as being POE.
Only 8 ports are PoE; that's the smallest you can do. I'm pretty sure you can disable PoE in the configuration. The 24T-DC is a -48VDC input, which you might need ... but it's not too common ... and a bit more expensive.

If you don't feel like you need such a switch, then that's fine; but lots of people have had reliability and stability problems with Dell switches, myself included. I think it's important to consider accurate and applicable pricing when making such a decision, tho.

Last edited:
The 62XX is fine for layer 2. We've been using them for a couple years pushing several gigs of layer 2 traffic, without a single hiccup. That said, Dell does have some newer switches like the 55XX series.

this. be careful of running the 62xx's in layer 3 if your network has a lot of dynamic routes(from something like ospf). there is an unadvertised limitation in the switches of 224 dynamic routes. once you hit that limit, those switches will start dropping routes randomly and then shit starts getting weird.

Go a head and PM me that list because we've been using them as layer 3 switches in two locations for a couple of years now with zero issues. Just because you've had bad luck doesn't mean everyone else will! Posts like this drive me up a wall

yep we love our 62xx switches. they are used throughout our core network and while we don't use them for any L3 stuff they do just fine for what we are using them for.

meh, to upgrade id have to replace the server, i just dont feel like doing that much. lol.

Yep. So much so that it might not be appropriate. Some applications don't require that much performance, and need more space.

yup.

I run some raid 1 and 10 at home personally but I dont need that much space...yet

Yep. So much so that it might not be appropriate. Some applications don't require that much performance, and need more space.

yup, went RAID 6 on my aray in my new backup server, too much data to risk having a second drive die with RAID5, and overhead for RAID10 is too much when your goal is mass storage (24TB RAW)

What is it that you're doing at home that requires so much performance?

nothing really.

I have 4x1.5tb drives in raid 10 because its more than enough space for my needs, and the drives are slow ass WD15EADS that I had collected over the last 2 years and I wasnt comfortable trusting the 2 and 3tb drives when they came out(and I didnt feel like paying for RE3/4's)

If I could I would go to RE4's

if I need more space I can go to raid 5, my perc5i's I dont think do 6

Just picked up some switches from post office.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2748 will most likely end to my friend and I'll use the 2848 as my networks core switch.

rack-two.jpg

All built out, for now.

And had to switch out the 5548's for 6248's because 5548's are quite buggy when it comes to anything complicated.

Looking good guys,

Since we are experiencing 120k winds, i'm home for the day doing some training and in middle of that starting and working on this today too :)

Moving the rack from the rght side of my desk to the LEFT side, to do this, i had to pull all the cables under the des going from right to left and route them the opposite way.. Not to hard to do..

DSCN0236.JPG

Under,

DSCN0237.JPG

Im about to junk a few 2724's

they have a nasty habit of dropping ports when you pull a cable, ie when you replug it stays down.

not very helpful.

thats what my HP A5120's are replacing/upgrading

Back