Network pics thread

We use a large number of Siemens HiPath OpenOffice ME boxes. We use the VPN between the sites to create a large internal telephone exchange. The people on reception can see every phone in the company and can redirect calls to any phone in the company using drag and drop on their PC. Pretty cool stuff.

39 handsets, two ATA's with 4 cordless and 1 paging system. As well as setting up the IVR and DID's.

I'm done with 1 of 4 sites with our 3CX rollout.

BLF works great also. 3CX makes it easy to push the BLF config.

nYS3C.jpg

RED = On Call
GREEN = Ringing

Alexander Graham Bell would be proud! Now THAT is a phone. :D

We use a large number of Siemens HiPath OpenOffice ME boxes. We use the VPN between the sites to create a large internal telephone exchange. The people on reception can see every phone in the company and can redirect calls to any phone in the company using drag and drop on their PC. Pretty cool stuff.

Same here:

One end of the wireless link i'm trying to create between two properties:

And the AirLink analysis tool showing the path, elevation etc between the two properties

All I know about the Siemens HiPath is they have a switchless hookswitch, and I think that's awsome!

Hey guys, just bought a couple of racks... and they came with Siemens HiPath 2030's in them

any tips?

Where to get software for them?

They web based config? or do you use the USB port etc?

Everything is tweaked and adjusted to the best of how I understood our old system. Call routing, scheduling, DID placement, etc.

Hopefully it's not chaotic tomorrow morning... I'm going in an hour early just in case.

Around 2-3pm I'll be driving to the next site to do the conversion Monday night starting around 6pm. From there I will rinse and repeat the two next nights. Hopefully all goes well and I can get us off of AT&T. However they are running on temp DID's until the porting is completed. And legally AT&T can take up to 30 days.

All I know about the Siemens HiPath is they have a switchless hookswitch, and I think that's awsome!

it's not that awesome once you know how it works. the older phones (Optiset and Optiset E) use an electromagnetic system which recognizes the handset and activates the hook switch. This one is near the microphone area (lower end)

the newer phones (Optipoint 400,500,600) use a light barrier right where the upper end of the handset is positioned on the phone when hooked up. you can use your finger as a hook switch by just holding it in there ;)

the newest phones (openstage)...I have no clue. :D too new for me.

Been using a Hipath 3550 for years at home now, not even one restart needed, except for when I added a DECT board (for up to 16 DECT antennas) and another ISDN trunk board.

Is it crazy to have about 14 phones around the house (5 cordless) for 4 people? :D

shadynet, I have 4 phone systems in my basement...all kinds of old phones around...you're not crazy haha

Thought it about time I contributed something, albeit nothing in comparison....

Comprising an Ikea Lack Rack in obsidian black! a cat5e 24 port patch panel ebay special, my 1810G-24, my Linkstation quad NAS, and an APC 350VA UPS
scaled.php

Top left is my Virgin Media superhub with Ubiquiti Unifi POE injector in front, to the right is my Compaq SFF IPCop with a netbook on top
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Obviously there`s still a lot of work to do, I have a brush strip cable management thingy on order from ebay and there`s plenty of cable management in general to still be done, but it works for my needs. I need to change the `patch` cables when the brush strip arrives as those 3-4 inch jobbies are just too short....

So far the current prices of QNAP ts-419U+ are WAAAaaaayyy prohibitive so I`m now lowering my sights to the desktop version of the TS-412....

What think y`all of synology NAS`s??

Thought it about time I contributed something, albeit nothing in comparison....

Comprising an Ikea Lack Rack in obsidian black! a cat5e 24 port patch panel ebay special, my 1810G-24, my Linkstation quad NAS, and an APC 350VA UPS
scaled.php

Top left is my Virgin Media superhub with Ubiquiti Unifi POE injector in front, to the right is my Compaq SFF IPCop with a netbook on top

Obviously there`s still a lot of work to do, I have a brush strip cable management thingy on order from ebay and there`s plenty of cable management in general to still be done, but it works for my needs. I need to change the `patch` cables when the brush strip arrives as those 3-4 inch jobbies are just too short....

So far the current prices of QNAP ts-419U+ are WAAAaaaayyy prohibitive so I`m now lowering my sights to the desktop version of the TS-412....

What think y`all of synology NAS`s??

You mean like this one ?
DSCN0152.JPG

I got mine VERY CEHAP! Love it too, quiet as HELL and works great...

Yeah, thanks for that!

Does that mean you wanna pack that up and ship it to me??

No, really!?!?:p:p

What do you have feeding into the GBIC on the 1800-24G there?

A fibre:D

the two fibres run down from the attic to where I have another 1810G , I`ve also been playing with some Gb media converters with the intention of running a fibre to a friends house at the end of our terrace ~30 meters run away.

It`s all pie-in-the-sky at the moment as I only have access to the types of cable seen in the pics so they need to be run in some kind of trunking/conduit to weatherproof them.

39 handsets, two ATA's with 4 cordless and 1 paging system. As well as setting up the IVR and DID's.

I'm done with 1 of 4 sites with our 3CX rollout.

BLF works great also. 3CX makes it easy to push the BLF config.

nYS3C.jpg

RED = On Call
GREEN = Ringing

How are you finding 3CX and the polycom's?;)

How are you finding 3CX and the polycom's?;)

They work nearly flawlessly, with the exception of one quirk. When you dial out it says the extension@ipaddress instead of the person's name that or employees became accustomed to. I could care less, so it's a non-issue for the most part. I've got some yealinks on order, so that will be fun to see how those like 3CX.

A fibre:D

the two fibres run down from the attic to where I have another 1810G , I`ve also been playing with some Gb media converters with the intention of running a fibre to a friends house at the end of our terrace ~30 meters run away.

It`s all pie-in-the-sky at the moment as I only have access to the types of cable seen in the pics so they need to be run in some kind of trunking/conduit to weatherproof them.

I've been doing the exact same setup. Bought 2 GBIC of eBay for 5 bucks each. I too have to figure out a way to run them above ground outside to my garage.

whats the climate like there? find a nice shielding material to run it through, find cheap coax- run the coax aerial to the garage (Used to support the fiber, without putting tension on the fiber.)

Run the fiber along the coax inside the protective layer, terminate both ends. Done.

whats the climate like there? find a nice shielding material to run it through, find cheap coax- run the coax aerial to the garage (Used to support the fiber, without putting tension on the fiber.)

Run the fiber along the coax inside the protective layer, terminate both ends. Done.

Was that directed to me?

It gets to be -40C (-40F) here in the winter and +40C in the summer. Doesn't rain a lot in the warmer months either. I'd say average amount. I would bury it, but I have stamped concrete between the garage and the house. I was thinking of just getting a 20m pre-terminated cable and running it that way, unless there's a way to get cheap fibre and fibre ends.... I figured it would be way cheaper and way easier to run a cable with the ends on it.

Recently re-racked some lab gear...

Enjoy :cool:

labrack.jpg

Equipment, from top to Bottom:

Black Box voice patch panel, connects to the 25 pair port on the EVM module below
Cisco 2851 w/ 2x HWIC-D-9ESW-POE, NME-XD-48ES-2S-P, EVM-HD-8FXS/DID, AIM-CUE & AIM-VPN (voice lab router of doom)
Cisco 2811 w/ 4x HWIC-1DSU-T1-V2
Cisco 1841 w/ WIC-1T
Cisco 1841 w/ 2x HWIC-1DSU-T1-V2
Cisco 1841 w/ HWIC-1B-U & HWIC-4ESW
Cisco ASA 5510
Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC
Cisco Catalyst 2950C-24
Linksys SRW something
Cisco 2620 w/ 2x HWIC-1DSU-T1
Cisco 2610 w/ 2x HWIC-2T (modules are in here rather than sitting in a box or on a shelf)
Overture ISG-140
Cisco Catalyst 2960S-24TS-L
Cisco ASA 5520
Cisco 2960S-48TS-L
Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS
Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS
Haivision Makito HD-SDI (3G) H.264 Encoder
VBrick 7000 HDMI H.264 Encoder
VBrick Distributed Media Engine 7350
Cisco RPS2300
Polycom ReadiManager SE200[/quote]

Last edited:
@shadynet: I have a Samsung PBX under my desk. I guess you could say it's a footrest. Doesn't even do a good job at that.

They work nearly flawlessly, with the exception of one quirk. When you dial out it says the extension@ipaddress instead of the person's name that or employees became accustomed to. I could care less, so it's a non-issue for the most part. I've got some yealinks on order, so that will be fun to see how those like 3CX.

Does the 3CX let you edit the XML config?

First post around here, have been reading this thread since about page 290/300, decided to post some of my stuff.

Have a few servers laying around doing nothing, sitting next to me is a HP DL360 G3, downstairs in the garage a HP ML350 G4, and getting a HP DL380 G7 soon, going to put VMware on there hopefully, never used virtual machines apart from Virtualbox and XP mode lol.

Pics!!
DL360 -
Server cat.
Lid off.
Stripped down for a clean, it was quite dusty.
And specs, this has got Server 2K8 Enterprise on it now, specs are the same though.

Next a machine I have sitting next to my desk, an old Dell Optiplex GX270 I think, again with Server 2K8 Enterprise.
In the dark.
And with the camera flash, bad pic.
And the specs. Needs more ram like the DL360.

And my main PC.
Hides in an IKEA wardrobe, looks quite cool at night with the lights on above.
Again with a different colour light.
Under the desk, it's messy there.
The switch it's all running off. Managed to pick the Dlink up for £4 at a bootsale thing, it's an 8port Gigabit. The wireless box above it is a Netgear WPN824v3.
The drive box, sometime I'll make a NAS from these, have got all the cards and stuff. 3147GB's and a 500GB.

Linked like that since they're all taken on a 14megapixel camera and would come up huge here.

Internet comes into this lot from the other end of the house thru a Virgin/Netgear router. 30MB down/2MB up, should be doubling soon too.

No pics of the ML350, that's hiding in the garage which is a mess at the moment, we're in the middle of re-decorating the house at the moment.
I really need to rack all this stuff too. I will eventually, just gotta find the time and the money, earning an apprenticeship wage here.
Think that's everything! Will eventually take more pics as I do stuff with these servers :)

I though my cisco lab was nuts with 2 x 1841 1 x 5505 2 x 3560-48 PoE and 2 x 2621XMs

Does the 3CX let you edit the XML config?

You can, however I'm not sure if it overwrites it every time you make a change to the ext via the control panel. I don't think it does, but don't quote me on that. Grab the free version and play around with it. It does everything we need, right out of the box; so it's a non-issue for us.

EDIT: You can pre-customize the phone config template as well, that might be what you need. i.e. you want to slip a background into your polycom template or something, etc.

EDIT 2: Confirmed that it does overwrite the BLF's when making changes; not sure what else. However you still can customize the base templates.

Last edited:
Back