Network pics thread

IMG_20120116_130857.jpg

I really like these patch panels wow

Just got this from last week's Dell Days of Deals. It's temporary NAS because we are struggling with storage capacity. We are planning to buy a good big Redundant Synology NAS deployment but the 550$+ prices on enterprise 3TB drives and their Zero-availability made us wait for a couple of months.

Storcenter.jpg

Not exactly networking, but I just got this in the mail today:

lrg-1219-uk1104relay.JPG

It's a 4 port relay controller with 6 input sensors. I also got 2 temp sensors, but really I should have got 6 from the get go and be done. Might put in another order once I confirm it works as I want.

My goal is to hook this up to my mini atom server which I will dedicate as a environmental control system. The relays will be used to control the heat and the temp sensors as a thermostat. I will code a web based app to control it. I plan to add lot of intelligence to it such as know how early to start the furnace based on the outside temperature. Once this is done I'll be able to control the furnace from work. I will be starting shiftwork soon, too, so being able to setup more complex schedules than the typical weekly/weekend settings will be great. I will also have a function to quickly override a schedule for a single day. Sometimes I go for lunch at 12:00 other times I go for lunch at 1:00 etc we just kinda play it by ear. So when I determined when I go for lunch then I'll set it to start so it's warm when I get home. Should be a fun toy to play with, and it will be practical.

I now need to decide how to physically set it up. How I wire it, etc... to make it as clean as possible. I might mount the board right into the server somehow, then have a terminal strip on the back of the server to make the thermostat and sensor connections. For now I'll have one sensor where my current thermostat is (I'll just shove it right in it basically) and the current thermostat will be used simply as a backup. It will be wired in parallel.

Later on I might add more sensors, like one on the upper floor, one in the basement, one in what will be the server room, maybe one in the garage.

I will only need 3 relays, so the 4th will probably be used for some misc purpose. Maybe the hvac for the server room itself once I build that room.

Now if I could add voice recognition to that server and have sensors around the house, that would be awesome. The server is called HAL9000. :D

Not exactly networking, but I just got this in the mail today:

It's a 4 port relay controller with 6 input sensors. I also got 2 temp sensors, but really I should have got 6 from the get go and be done. Might put in another order once I confirm it works as I want.

My goal is to hook this up to my mini atom server which I will dedicate as a environmental control system. The relays will be used to control the heat and the temp sensors as a thermostat. I will code a web based app to control it. I plan to add lot of intelligence to it such as know how early to start the furnace based on the outside temperature. Once this is done I'll be able to control the furnace from work. I will be starting shiftwork soon, too, so being able to setup more complex schedules than the typical weekly/weekend settings will be great. I will also have a function to quickly override a schedule for a single day. Sometimes I go for lunch at 12:00 other times I go for lunch at 1:00 etc we just kinda play it by ear. So when I determined when I go for lunch then I'll set it to start so it's warm when I get home. Should be a fun toy to play with, and it will be practical.

I now need to decide how to physically set it up. How I wire it, etc... to make it as clean as possible. I might mount the board right into the server somehow, then have a terminal strip on the back of the server to make the thermostat and sensor connections. For now I'll have one sensor where my current thermostat is (I'll just shove it right in it basically) and the current thermostat will be used simply as a backup. It will be wired in parallel.

Later on I might add more sensors, like one on the upper floor, one in the basement, one in what will be the server room, maybe one in the garage.

I will only need 3 relays, so the 4th will probably be used for some misc purpose. Maybe the hvac for the server room itself once I build that room.

Now if I could add voice recognition to that server and have sensors around the house, that would be awesome. The server is called HAL9000. :D

Very cool stuff you are trying over there. I've been thinking of doing something like that myself. If you decide to post more about your progress I would be happy to read about it.

Yep that's it.

4 relays and 6 inputs. It can do other kind of inputs like voltage range from 0-6 (could technically use a transformer and a diode to measure 120ac for example) but for my purposes I'm mostly interested in temp control.

I would like to find a module in the future that has a ton of input ports for various alarm points too. Working at a noc, I kinda want to add alarm points around the house now. Would not be that hard to rig a smoke or CO detector to complete a circuit to activate an alarm point, for example.

Today I wired up the thermal sensors and resistors in one little "package" so I have 3 wires that will then go to the board. Basically I just used a piece of plastic, made holes in it, put the sensor and resistor and wired it accordingly. Breadboard would have been better, but did not have that handy. :D I'll post a pic of the sensors later.

Bought a second 1841 for some more Cisco love for $25.
0ebL2l.jpg

The 881w is headed up to my folks place so I can setup a link and put one of my HP micro servers up there for duplication.

I got this support request today

Local IT: Kindly assist me configuring microsoft outlook on this computer

me: what is the issue, why does the user need a new install?

Local IT: Her laptop was struck by lightening,So i have issued her a new PC.
Sorry i mean laptop.

:D

Bought a second 1841 for some more Cisco love for $25.
0ebL2l.jpg

The 881w is headed up to my folks place so I can setup a link and put one of my HP micro servers up there for duplication.

$25? Where? Lol I'm Jealous of an 1841 at that price. I put my 1841 in at my head end for my internet finally. As much as I like my ASA, I don't want to play with it at home right now, I work with ASA's enough at work.

Yea I second the location 1841 for $25. That is a steal.

I picked up the 1841 and a majority of my other gear from a local ewaste recyclers who has no idea what he has. I am volunteering to sort out the warehouse of stuff they have, but every time I have gone lately it has been too packed to even navigate the isles. He has a entire rack of cisco gear just waiting to be sorted/tested/wiped.

Back