Network pics thread

Other than It won't fit in the rack on it's side and they don't make rail kits for it anymore. Nothing. She is a beauty!

yes it will, you need to take the top and bottom/side panels off of it (its two panels) and it will fit in a rack just fine

media%20server%20002%20(Large).jpg

what model of EonStor is that?

I thik I have a A16U-G1410 around here.

is that your home setup?

Last edited:
Thats what i thought :) You ever try freenas8 ?

I have all my iscsi stuff running off it.

Never heard of that... was going to use openfiler but decided to just use the storage server so I can have another dc incase the esxi box looses connection or something.

Some new toys arrived the other day at work.... time to get learning IOS-XR :D
asr2.JPG

Let me know how those things run, especially if you do heavy multicast. I'm going to replace some of our 6500s with beefier routers for 40gig/100gig MAN connectivity (next year). It's a race between the 9K and MX960... think I'm leaning toward the 9K.

Nice boxes btw!

Never heard of that... was going to use openfiler but decided to just use the storage server so I can have another dc incase the esxi box looses connection or something.

If you want to use iSCSI, I recommend staying away from FreeNAS. FreeNAS is good if you want to do NFS/SMB/CIFS, but you were heading the right way with Openfiler since I saw you were using iSCSI.

If you want to use iSCSI, I recommend staying away from FreeNAS. FreeNAS is good if you want to do NFS/SMB/CIFS, but you were heading the right way with Openfiler since I saw you were using iSCSI.

I agree, my experience with FreeNAS and iscsi was very frustrating, I switched to openfiler and my problems went away. FreeNAS has a lot of cool features that openfiler lacks, but stability isn't one of them.

I agree, my experience with FreeNAS and iscsi was very frustrating, I switched to openfiler and my problems went away. FreeNAS has a lot of cool features that openfiler lacks, but stability isn't one of them.

that's weird, im running freenas 8 and have 4 vm's running from iscsi and no issues at all. Been going strong since last week.

What were your problems with it ?

To be fair, I was running 7, but when putting any kind of load on it over iscsi, mine would reboot. It also pissed me off the changes that required a reboot, and when it was pending reboot, it wouldn't allow you to make any other changes.

Example: Bonding two network interfaces for link aggregation...

I don't remember the exact process but it went something like this
Create lagg interface -> reboot forced -> set aggregation mode -> reboot forced -> configure static IP -> reboot forced.

That was frustrating enough to make me look elsewhere, although once it's up, it's up. So that would have been fine, if not for the iscsi instability.

Openfiler was a little more troublesome to configure, and much more basic in features, but if that means it's rock solid, that's fine with me. I have not tried FreeNAS 8, maybe I'll give it another shot someday for a general purpose NAS, but not for anything critical.

I was running FreeNAS 8 with clients such as Win2k8 and ESXi.

I hated the reboot for a configuration change too, especially when setting up a LAG when setting up remotely.

I believe it started in 8, they revamped the iSCSI bits a lot and I find it more unstable. Performance is insufficient for me. I went from 2MB/s to 550MB/s over iSCSI from moving away from FreeNAS with iSCSI. Plus the file-based LUNs or whatever they called them seemed to make it even more unstable if used. It was stable with NFS though.

FreeNAS is more of your goodies for the experienced home user, while Openfiler is more like your stable opensource SAN replacement that does it's job and only it's job.

well, weird, i don't have any issues at all, i have one target on my win7 machine, and 4 on my 2008r2 box with hyperv,

4 vms :

Another 2008r2 that i rdp to for my desktop email, calandar & book keeping software etc etc
debian webserver
2 phone servers
linux desktop

all running 24/7 no hiccups etc etc just runs smooth.

I stopped using FreeNAS because i found samba speeds way below what they should be (my hardware isn't that powerful but with WHS2011 i'm getting 100MB/Sec maxing my gigabit network)

I have one of my baby 3560's mounted on those...I kinda wished the logo was on the front side of the ears though

I have one of my baby 3560's mounted on those...I kinda wished the logo was on the front side of the ears though

Me too. We just got one of the baby 3560s too:

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

Wasn't sure if we were getting it today, so I took the pictures of the ears and then the switch showed up

It's not overly exciting. I think i would rather have the 3500 / 4500

I like the ports on the front, makes wiring and stuff cleaner, I'm just about to purchase a NFR210, spent the weekend tinkering and laying out my network, and vlans :) The sonicwall makes is so nice and easy, i love it!

Dash.

My pfsense box has had the habit of sometimes just freezing up requiring a reboot. Rare but it does happen.

Finally got some worthy toys at work for our new domain on two vhosts, just a humble 1500 user secondary school; teaser for now:
hDqp7.jpg

P2000 iSCSI SAN + 2x DL380G7

Finally got some worthy toys at work for our new domain on two vhosts, just a humble 1500 user secondary school; teaser for now:

P2000 iSCSI SAN + 2x DL380G7

I'm looking at a few new vhosts myself. The DL380's - are you getting Intel X5670's in those? I have a couple of different setups going, and am looking at the DL385G7 as well (AMD 12-core).

*edit yep X5660 and 48GB RAM

We're 2kool4drives:
ZZLEf.jpg

SAN disks are not installed, servers will use embedded hypervisor which you can just about see (SD) along with the end of a quad NIC (worst picture ever):
OO5vP.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1800 sitting right be side me, has a CF card in the front tho, so maybe a few models up :)

Back