Network pics thread

Those are kinda old arn't they ?

Extremely. The PRO 230's were end of life a few years back. But they're cheap on eBay and a solid VPN concentrator.

G-ross. The old pro series aren't work the metal they are fabricated from anymore. I have one in production and it causes me problems on a regular basis. Matter fact I just fixed more goofy shit from the gen 4 content filtering this last week. For the future gen 5 firewalls are the way to go!

All I'm doing on these units is basic NAT/firewall stuff, VPN client access for me and setting up one or two tunnels. There's absolutely no heavy lifting going on here at all.

Plus their power draw is really light and they're silent, so they're perfect for home use.

At work we have a pair of NSA 4500's that I would happily heave off the top of a tall building, though.

Give me Juniper any day.

Extremely. The PRO 230's were end of life a few years back. But they're cheap on eBay and a solid VPN concentrator.

All I'm doing on these units is basic NAT/firewall stuff, VPN client access for me and setting up one or two tunnels. There's absolutely no heavy lifting going on here at all.

Plus their power draw is really light and they're silent, so they're perfect for home use.

At work we have a pair of NSA 4500's that I would happily heave off the top of a tall building, though.

Give me Juniper any day.

Screen%20shot%202011-03-19%20at%209.48.22%20PM.png

We have a 2400 at work that works great, and i have a TZ210 at home that i love, works awesome. :)

Whats wrong with your 4500's ? Do you ever play with the application awareness tracking ?

Last edited:
At work we have a pair of NSA 4500's that I would happily heave off the top of a tall building, though..

Heave your 4500s to me and let me run with them. They would be WAY overkill for my needs, but I would like to get an HA pair really just to start building in some redundancy into my network at our HQ location

My current rack config with one of my new Sonicwalls from ebay (pic above)

IMG_0007.JPG

I Spy an ARK case... i use them all the time (the one on top). The one on bottom we stopped using and switched to that ARK on top.

Who needs to buy patch cables these days. All you need is a DVR full of recorded stuff catch up on.

IMAG0328.jpg

You got it easy, try doing twist-on BNC cables for the cameras. 32 cameras = 64 twist ons.. now that hurts

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought you had to buy the license for a sonicwall for the VPN feature to work ? and they expire every year ?

Correct me if im wrong :) stil learning about these units, ( might not be true for older units )

I have some older units at the office.

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought you had to buy the license for a sonicwall for the VPN feature to work ? and they expire every year ?

Correct me if im wrong :) stil learning about these units, ( might not be true for older units )

I have some older units at the office.

Nope. You buy a recurring license for some of the extra features like antivirus, and content filtering and whatnot, but once a device is licensed for a concurrent VPN count, it has it for life.

SSL VPN is an extra license, but the base license is what it is. In my case the two PRO 230's have a ten count, which is fine with me since I'm going to be the only one connecting to them.

I Spy an ARK case... i use them all the time (the one on top). The one on bottom we stopped using and switched to that ARK on top.

Yeah, I really like the ARK cases. I like the fact that you don't need a key to latch the front door closed on the top one (why aren't all cases made this way?), but the Norco on the bottom holds ten drives with great airflow around them so it works great as my all-purpose server for home. I do wish the Norco had LEDs that were visible with the door closed, though.

Last time I checked (last week as a matter of fact) they make IP based camera's

Yep. However, analog video can be nice sometimes. For instance, where I work, we have a GeoVision system based off analog cameras. In the event that the computer crashes on us, we can always throw in an old analog multiplexer. Analog hardware is nice when non-IT people have to deal with it.

'Plug in this BNC cable' is a hell of a lot easier to explain then 'configure all these cameras with an IP, then configure the software to monitor them, etc, etc'.

Yep. However, analog video can be nice sometimes. For instance, where I work, we have a GeoVision system based off analog cameras. In the event that the computer crashes on us, we can always throw in an old analog multiplexer. Analog hardware is nice when non-IT people have to deal with it.

'Plug in this BNC cable' is a hell of a lot easier to explain then 'configure all these cameras with an IP, then configure the software to monitor them, etc, etc'.

or the customer is too cheap so you have no choice but to install analog cameras and run RG-59

I have 2x 3550s (One not pictured.), 2x 3550s w/PoE, 2x 3750s, 1x 3560.

The 3 above the 2811s are 3550s.

Those are still a bit out of my price range. I just picked up a 3524 but I was a bit disappointed to find that it is lacking in a few IOS features.

Give me Juniper any day.

You having the same downloading problems everyone else is? If you have all the various security features turned on it will for no reason kill your download half way through and the only way to get everything working again is to restart the download, or restart the firewall.

We called sonicwall about this because both our 2400 and 4500 have this problem, sonicwall's response was after the 5.6.0.x firmware this is a known issue and the only way to fix it is turn off all the content filtering / management features or downgrade to 5.5.0.x

You got it easy, try doing twist-on BNC cables for the cameras. 32 cameras = 64 twist ons.. now that hurts

Complaining about cable terminations??

IMG_20101209_170550.jpg

IMG_20101105_075003.jpg

IMG_20101109_123419.jpg

This is only a small sample of what I get to do... :)

Video patch bay in the first pic right?
Looks like you are building out a mobile tv truck based on what I see. I am in them several times a week :)

Nice job dressing those cables.

Nope. You buy a recurring license for some of the extra features like antivirus, and content filtering and whatnot, but once a device is licensed for a concurrent VPN count, it has it for life.

SSL VPN is an extra license, but the base license is what it is. In my case the two PRO 230's have a ten count, which is fine with me since I'm going to be the only one connecting to them.

Cool i have a nice rack mounted unit at work that i could use :) for a vpn connection to a friends house with my voip stuff :)

Are those just RJ45 ends? Wouldn't it be easier to terminate them to a patch panel?

I been thinking about that. I'm not sure. Its the way they want it done. They end up connecting to the back side of an ADC RJ45 patch panel that is about $400 or so. Not my design.

Boss man just gave me the Sonicwall Pro 2040 that was sitting on the shelf for the last year. Won't turn on because needs new psu, anyone know where to get a replacement psu ?

its a FSP180-50pla

These specs show that the Sonicwall PSU is the same but has had the extra power connectors removed. The "Remote On/Off function" mentioned is the leads to a external on/off switch instead of being controlled by the motherboard.

But $55 is way steep for a PSU for a 2040. I'd try just buying a working on off of ebay, or try buying a junked one for parts.

These specs show that the Sonicwall PSU is the same but has had the extra power connectors removed. The "Remote On/Off function" mentioned is the leads to a external on/off switch instead of being controlled by the motherboard.

But $55 is way steep for a PSU for a 2040. I'd try just buying a working on off of ebay, or try buying a junked one for parts.

Just tested the unit it's working with a regular desktop psu, so now all i need to to is order a psu off ebay for 30$ and i have a working unit.

I also just flattened the unit. This os is so different compared to 5.8 LOL!!

Nanaimo-20110321-00009.jpg

Nanaimo-20110321-00011.jpg

Nanaimo-20110321-00012.jpg

Did you just short the 20-pin connection to turn the power on, or did you fashion some other way of getting the power on without a power switch?

( I, too, have a dead 2040 sitting on a shelf that I never got around to replacing the PSU after it died.)

Did you just short the 20-pin connection to turn the power on, or did you fashion some other way of getting the power on without a power switch?

( I, too, have a dead 2040 sitting on a shelf that I never got around to replacing the PSU after it died.)

all i did was plug the psu in, actually I think the board has the short on it, because the original PSU just has a power toggle switch, looking inside all it does is break the hot side of the ac coming into the psu.

When I plugged in this test psu the unit fired up and turned on.

J

A lot of the firewall appliances either have an always on PSU or a pre-shorted MOBO/cable.

Almost all of them just have a on/off switch, and they suck electricity into an eternal abyss if you issue a shutdown command from inside the OS. (More wattage than at 100% CPU load???)

A lot of the firewall appliances either have an always on PSU or a pre-shorted MOBO/cable.

Almost all of them just have a on/off switch, and they suck electricity into an eternal abyss if you issue a shutdown command from inside the OS. (More wattage than at 100% CPU load???)

Not to sure about that, never heard of such a thing...

Not to sure about that, never heard of such a thing..

I've seen it a lot on firewall equipment. The system goes into halt and basically says to power off now. It's similar to that of older Windows computers with the Turn Off The Computer screen after shut down. I believe it's because the boxes often lack ACPI abilities to save costs and that's how OSs often issue the power off command and since they don't have ACPI they don't understand and just keep everything powered.

My little tower, just moved to a new house...

3Com 3CRWE554G72
3Com 3C16791B 10/100mbit dual speed Switch
3Com 3C1670800B Gigabit Switch
3Com 2x Network Storage Server (got one more but that one is not ready yet)
img0389th.jpg

I really like how nice and neat that looks... all uniform and stuff, pleasing to the eye

Seriously. What a neat little setup. I look at my cabinet-o-gear that snarls and spits and growls at anyone who comes to close and then compare it to this stack. I want to pet it and take it home in a basket. :D

Adam, you should look into compression connectors...Thomas and Betts Snap N Seal are awesome. I never use twist on connectors...you could also get 2 or 3 piece crimp BNCs

Seriously. What a neat little setup. I look at my cabinet-o-gear that snarls and spits and growls at anyone who comes to close and then compare it to this stack. I want to pet it and take it home in a basket. :D

Haha but this is enough for home use... Got 20 ports more then enough and it is silent !

Back