Network pics thread

Juniper yo' net sb. Is that for your JNCIE prep?

I should take some pics of my juniper stuff now that i don't work for a conglomerate. I got a lot of shit, but most of my stuff is in datacenters i don't own, which means they're anal too :(

Although I'm thinking of getting 18 new ex4200 switches over cisco 4900Ms for 2011 (should be able take pics of these.. and it's the first project i'm slightly scared of for a bunch of reasons :)).

The more I use Junos, the less I miss IOS/NX-OS (and I still respect IOS.. the CLI makes shit so fast to config).

I've wanted that router for a while but I've been worried about buying it because of the horrible reviews. Does the VPN feature work without a problem?

Haven't had any problems yet :) 4 months still going strong.

I know one of them had to be rebooted because the internet went down one day, after rebooting the vpn all connected by it's self and is still running till this day.

J'

Juniper yo' net sb. Is that for your JNCIE prep?

I should take some pics of my juniper stuff now that i don't work for a conglomerate. I got a lot of shit, but most of my stuff is in datacenters i don't own, which means they're anal too :(

Although I'm thinking of getting 18 new ex4200 switches over cisco 4900Ms for 2011 (should be able take pics of these.. and it's the first project i'm slightly scared of for a bunch of reasons :)).

The more I use Junos, the less I miss IOS/NX-OS (and I still respect IOS.. the CLI makes shit so fast to config).

It's part of my JNCIE-ER lab and future JNCIE/P-ENT, I have ordered two EX4200-24T+EX-24-AFL for lab@home
I have deployed at work VC's with EX4200 in mixed speeds 1/10gig, those are nice switches,
I'm waiting for big SRX 5k to implement after new year

Last edited:
I've wanted that router for a while but I've been worried about buying it because of the horrible reviews. Does the VPN feature work without a problem?

If you use UMA or ipsec passthrough the WRVS4400N has bad issues (UMA does not work at all)

Just got my rack:

lrg-1048-rackassembled.JPG

I'll be moving the patch panel to it, once I permanently anchor the rack to the ground. I already have some rackmountable equipment to mount on it, but my main production stuff is on the server in the background, which I'll eventually convert to rack mountable. From now on everything I buy will be rackmountable. When I finish the basement and have a HT setup, I might also put some AV equipment in there.

I've seen these on supplier and reseller sites but I have not seen them pictured in anyone's racks. Who's got the guts to build out an orange or pink rack?

_net_orange.jpg

_net_pink.jpg

I've seen these on supplier and reseller sites but I have not seen them pictured in anyone's racks. Who's got the guts to build out an orange or pink rack?

snip

I now seriously want to build an orange rack! If they had lime green that would be the best thing ever.

That company actually has blue, brown, green, gold, gray, orange, red, purple, pink, silver, white and yellow patch panels.

(Disclaimer: I don't work, advertise or represent this company. PM me for the link)

One of my wiring vendors told me a story about a client who didn't care what cables they used in the datacenter for their deployment because "no one will ever see them". So the wiring guy pulled out his spools of orange and pink cat-5 and did the whole installation, over twenty cabinets with orange for network and pink for management. Apparently he had purchased spools of off colours for a job that never got off the ground so he was stuck with some horrible, horrible colors.

They spent a solid week wiring the place up with beautiful cable management and tie offs and when the place was ready he said the place looked like someone's nightmare.

When the client came to do a walkthough of the place, the contractor said the client stayed about ten minutes and then left because the cabling gave him a headache.

Orange cables. Pink cables. Jesus wept.

One of my wiring vendors told me a story about a client who didn't care what cables they used in the datacenter for their deployment because "no one will ever see them". So the wiring guy pulled out his spools of orange and pink cat-5 and did the whole installation, over twenty cabinets with orange for network and pink for management. Apparently he had purchased spools of off colours for a job that never got off the ground so he was stuck with some horrible, horrible colors.

They spent a solid week wiring the place up with beautiful cable management and tie offs and when the place was ready he said the place looked like someone's nightmare.

When the client came to do a walkthough of the place, the contractor said the client stayed about ten minutes and then left because the cabling gave him a headache.

Orange cables. Pink cables. Jesus wept.

haha

...but did they have "sparkles"?
KaBLING.jpg

These come with the new "Ethernet Barbie" ;-P

i bet you futureshop / bestbuy will be selling these for 99$ on sale, then wait for monster to market them and sell them for 249.99$ with life time warrantee :)

LMAO!

Nice rack LOL!

Now to start buying some rack mounted equipment right ? :)

Yeah for sure. I have a few hand me down older pieces of equipment I'll be adding in. I want to convert my server to rackmountable too if I can find a decent case with 8 drive bays. Then get a managed switch, KVM... but first need to save up more money. :D

I planed out my server room and picked a logical location for it and drilled the holes. Going to wait till the water dries as it created a mud from the cement dust, then tomorrow I'll put in the anchors.

lrg-1051-dsc03488.JPG

That should do the trick I think.

i bet you futureshop / bestbuy will be selling these for 99$ on sale, then wait for monster to market them and sell them for 249.99$ with life time warrantee :)

LMAO!

Yeah for sure. I have a few hand me down older pieces of equipment I'll be adding in. I want to convert my server to rackmountable too if I can find a decent case with 8 drive bays. Then get a managed switch, KVM... but first need to save up more money. :D

I planed out my server room and picked a logical location for it and drilled the holes. Going to wait till the water dries as it created a mud from the cement dust, then tomorrow I'll put in the anchors.

lrg-1051-dsc03488.JPG

That should do the trick I think.
Ouch some mean buggers

Those bolts are heavy duty. The ones we use at work (pouring concrete) are rated for something like 4.5 tons :p

Here's what I was working on the other day. Got a 1941 at the other end, I'll have to snap a pic of it the next time I'm there. They have these goofy ass campusRS DSL modems that connect their out buildings to the main campus.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice, I didn't know the 1921 was the same chassis footprint as the 1841, I hate the new style of the 1941s

When I was in high school one of my friends who was in shop class mentioned something about routers. I did not know what a router (the tool) was back then, and I asked him why he was using a router in a shop class. Classic.

I added one piece of equipment to my rack:

lrg-1056-dsc03495.JPG

I have 3 more of those going in, but I need to buy some longer bolts for the front, I could get away with the shorter ones I have, but I like to see at least a mm of bolt sticking out on the other side, it just makes me feel better. :D

I managed to score that from work, it was kinda a "go dispose of it since it's obsolete, but I don't know what you do with it... but feel free to keep it" type of thing. Drives were wiped and all, of course. Since it's impossible to get replacement parts for that, I wont really be using it for production. Mostly just a play toy.

Those bolts are heavy duty. The ones we use at work (pouring concrete) are rated for something like 4.5 tons :p

That's good to know. I was kinda doubting the concept since they don't look like they would actually work all that great, but everywhere I read said they worked very well, so went with those. One site was even showing them being used to hang pipe from a concrete ceiling, that's a direct pull on the bolts, so if it can handle a pipe hanging, it can sure handle a rack that's not pulling on it all that much. I'm debating on also bolting the rack to the ceiling as it is slightly wobbly but I think as I put equipment in it, it will be less wobbly. It's not moving at all at the bolts so that's good.

That's good to know. I was kinda doubting the concept since they don't look like they would actually work all that great, but everywhere I read said they worked very well, so went with those. One site was even showing them being used to hang pipe from a concrete ceiling, that's a direct pull on the bolts, so if it can handle a pipe hanging, it can sure handle a rack that's not pulling on it all that much. I'm debating on also bolting the rack to the ceiling as it is slightly wobbly but I think as I put equipment in it, it will be less wobbly. It's not moving at all at the bolts so that's good.

strap it to the ceiling :) you put heavy stuff up top, and it will be top heavy and possibly bend your rack :(

Yeah just concerned it will "conduct" noise through the joists, or should I not really worry? Even if it does, I'm sure it's only like 5% of the noise that will make it.

@Red Squirrel

Have you thought about possibly sealing your concrete floor before you get to far into your project?
Consider rolling a nice thick coat of epoxy-based paint or other thick sealer (not Thompson's Water Seal though) on it. It will help keep the moisture out and the dust level down. It also looks a lot nicer when you're done. Pretty easy to do as well, simply use a paint roller with a broom handle attached to it.
an example:
floor.jpg

Here's what I was working on the other day. Got a 1941 at the other end, I'll have to snap a pic of it the next time I'm there. They have these goofy ass campusRS DSL modems that connect their out buildings to the main campus.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like the 1900's but about the size i agree it would piss me off...but still love my 1811W.

1811W.jpg

@Red Squirrel

Have you thought about possibly sealing your concrete floor before you get to far into your project?
Consider rolling a nice thick coat of epoxy-based paint or other thick sealer (not Thompson's Water Seal though) on it. It will help keep the moisture out and the dust level down. It also looks a lot nicer when you're done. Pretty easy to do as well, simply use a paint roller with a broom handle attached to it.
an example:
floor.jpg

I was thinking of that actually, but the floor is so dusty, I'm going to need to rent a machine at some point to do a full blown cleaning of it, and just don't have the time or money at this point. When it gets to that I will probably turn off all equipment, wrap the whole rack with plastic, and just go at it. I may also just put tile in that room. Idealy it would have been nice to do the flooring first then the rack, but it did not really fall that way.

Do it properly (probably overkil for at home in an unfnished basement) you should install a sump pit, and then install anti-static laminate flooring.

I was thinking of that actually, but the floor is so dusty...<snip>
That is exactly why I started doing this in my properties. As long as there is no oil, grease or paint on the floor it is a very easy process. Use a shop vac to get the dust and then liberally roll out the epoxy. On dirty floors I use a long handled scrub brush + water and then the shop vac. You can also rent floor scrubbers, just don't use concentrated or lots of cleaning product. Total cost is minimal (<$100) and there are plenty of colors to choose from. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

**edit** I just noticed that you have cinder block walls down there, the epoxy coating works on those walls as well.

Last edited:
The epoxy does look pretty nice. Not sure what i want to do for the entire basement, that's actually an idea.

The issue with my floor is that it's not very flat, it's a little rough, so all the dust particles get trapped. I need to rent a cement grinder to smooth it all out. I've tried shop vac, air compressor, water, but there is always dust still left. The easiest flooring will probably be tiles, but I really do like the look of epoxy as it comes in all sorts of colors and "patterns". Can do something quite sharp.

Progress!

lrg-1059-san.jpg

That's mostly it for now though I think. I need to run more power drops and what not. I also have a fiber switch, but not sure if I want to use it, or just daisy chain the units and then plug straight to the server. I'm thinking the switch will be better though.

I need to buy a rackmount case for my existing server, but that will wait. I've been saving up for a TV.

Back