Network pics thread

how do those cf to sata units run ? are they good ?
Amazingly no problems yet. Although I think it was a bit more money than the standard PATA cable drop in adapters. It has paid off, I accidentally unplugged the SATA when it was on, I just powered the machine off, and plugged the sata back in and hit the power, and I was up and running in about a minute.

I even smoked the thing's PCB card by accident, I was adjusting the screw tension when the machine was on, and it shorted against the case somehow, I smelled smoke and it lingered around for a bit even w/ the windows open. I thought I totally fucked my shit up. Well it did have a nice black burn mark on it. Thats why there's some electrical tape right above the power and sata connectors to cover it up so it doesn't happen again. This happened a year ago and I totally forgot about it until now.

Wow guys I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the positive comments especially after seeing some of your very elaborate and impressive setups, almost feels like you may be pulling my leg a bit. Thanks!

Wow guys I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the positive comments especially after seeing some of your very elaborate and impressive setups, almost feels like you may be pulling my leg a bit. Thanks!

Appearances also matter a lot. You may not have a ton of gear, but you have it displayed in a very clean and nice way. Props.

Yeah man your setup is CLEAN! really nice job with some good thought behind it :)

How do i insert pics?

Upload images to a photo hosting website such as Photobucket, then paste the link to the image in

Ok SO I have another question.. I used ImageShack.. How Do I Make My Images Smaller? They A Huge!

And Some Pics!
First Up The Overview Of My Rack:
over.jpg

Now The Servers:
servers.jpg

Next The Access Shelf"
terminal.jpg

Networking Shelf:
networkin.jpg

The Servers Are:
Laptop-Toshiba A205-Fedora Core 14?
Running Free Radius And The RSA Secuir ID Agent
1.GHZ Pentium mobile Processor
2 Gigs Ram

The White Mini Tower: Dell L667R-Some type of firewall- Still Working on this Aspect.
750 MHZ Pentium 3 Processor
380 Megs Ram
3x LAN Cards

The Middle Tower:
Compaq Presario Sr160NX- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2
DHCP
DNS
ACTIVE DIRECTORY
DOMAIN CONTROLLER

The Large One On The Left:
Dell Poweredge 2500SC
1.16 GHZ Pentium 3 Processor
2 1/2 Gigs Ram? Not Sure... Know Its not picking it all up
4 9.8 gig SCSI hot swap drives
Asterisk PBX

The Network Switch Is A dell powerconnect 2024
Main Wifi IS A Netgear WNR2000
It Also Provides A GUest WIFI
A Netgear Rangemax For G,B, and A Devices
A WRT160N For "N" Access in our garage
And A WRT54GS- DD-WRT- For Business Access

"I Know It Looks Messy But Actually Most of the clutter of wires you see is zip tied to the back or sides...."

Last edited:
Hey MinPins - after looking at the last set of pics do you understand why people appreciate a clean setup? :)

Ok SO I have another question.. I used ImageShack.. How Do I Make My Images Smaller? They A Huge!

You can use imageshack's built in image resizer to resize the pics down to 1024x768 or so.

What's the receipt printer used for??

Wow, lots of chatter. So I just got my last ebay purchase in yesterday, a failover pair of Cisco PIX 515e's. Right now I've only got the primary running, but I got PIXOS 8.0(4) and ASDM 6.1(3) up and running on it. It's real nice being able to use the ASDM to view current traffic and what not, plus PIXOS 8 feels a lot more like IOS.

I was running a PIX 506e before, but I hate external power bricks, plus I was maxing the CPU when I uploaded large files from school to home over the VPN, 16 mbps. Before you ask, I'm planning on upgrading the CPU in the 506e to a 600mhz celeron, and probably using it as a front end for my lab network if I ever get around to putting it together. Having multiple static IP's is nice being able to run multiple networks side by side behind the modem without having to double nat.

Wow Great Deal!

Everyone has a friend with too much Cat5 :D

Haha Yeah Never Thought about that

I am an IT Tech. I got 14 boxes of CAT5e 1000Ft per box... this was after a building was wired in...

Sooo... each box had about 200+ feet. One or two had 50ft, and 2 boxes had over 500ft... I am only guessing. I setup a tape at 100ft and was about to fold it back on itself about 5 times so.

Now I just need all the outlets and RJ-45 connections and I will be set :p

If anyone happens to have 500-1000 feet of 'spare' Cat6 I would be more than happy to dispose of it for you.

Wow, lots of chatter. So I just got my last ebay purchase in yesterday, a failover pair of Cisco PIX 515e's. Right now I've only got the primary running, but I got PIXOS 8.0(4) and ASDM 6.1(3) up and running on it. It's real nice being able to use the ASDM to view current traffic and what not, plus PIXOS 8 feels a lot more like IOS.

I was running a PIX 506e before, but I hate external power bricks, plus I was maxing the CPU when I uploaded large files from school to home over the VPN, 16 mbps. Before you ask, I'm planning on upgrading the CPU in the 506e to a 600mhz celeron, and probably using it as a front end for my lab network if I ever get around to putting it together. Having multiple static IP's is nice being able to run multiple networks side by side behind the modem without having to double nat.

I Have been looking for an hp workstation like that for a while... where did you find that?

It's actually an ML350 G6 server. If I remember correctly, I got it off buy.com or something for about $1000 w/ no drives and 2 gb of ram. I put 3 500gb WD RE3 drives in it, and bumped the ram up to 10gb. Normally I run ESXi on it, but right now it's just running Server 2008 R2 folding, and doing some light TFTP duties.

My Windows desktop is actually to the left of my desk on a wire shelf w/ my printer setting on top of it.

It's actually an ML350 G6 server. If I remember correctly, I got it off buy.com or something for about $1000 w/ no drives and 2 gb of ram. I put 3 500gb WD RE3 drives in it, and bumped the ram up to 10gb. Normally I run ESXi on it, but right now it's just running Server 2008 R2 folding, and doing some light TFTP duties.

My Windows desktop is actually to the left of my desk on a wire shelf w/ my printer setting on top of it.

Still a Beast though!

my new toys at home waiting for WS-C3560-8PC-S and WS-C2960-24TT-L

toys at work

Last edited:
The WRVS4400N is very nice, easy to setup and i have 3 of them connected all together as a office vpn, hasn't had any hiccups at all, still connected after 4 months, working great too!

If i had it my way, i would have put a untangle unit on every location with just wireless access points but then that would be an exact copy of my house setup :p
I've wanted that router for a while but I've been worried about buying it because of the horrible reviews. Does the VPN feature work without a problem?

Back