Network pics thread

I think we're on the same page. My point was to address the notion that it's neater to run individual runs from each server to a central rack, rather than having a top of rack switch with 1 or 2 uplinks.

My company does this in a small DC that has 9 or 10 racks full of servers with a patch panel at the top and 40 something cat5 runs over to the "network rack." It's an absolute nightmare if you have to plug in a new device or trace a cable. Yes it works, no it's not worth the down-time for us to change it.

OP asked how to neatly manage cables between a server and network rack, and the cleanest way to do that is to have a top-of rack switch with uplinks to a distro switch. :cool:

My $0.02

I agree that top of rack switch with uplinks to distro is much neater for cables then the patch panels, and over time can be cheaper, my company has 2 not so small data center's, up until about 3 months ago there were patch panels above every rack and home runs back to the access switches, to get an idea of how many cables, in the datacenter i work in, we have 10 6509's single sup loaded with 6748 cards at the datacenter access layer, thats almost 4000 connections, plus about ~100 hp c-class enclosures with 4 3120's per enclosure on top of that, we recently started having fiber run (panduit fiber cassettes and mtp cables) to all the racks and were deploying n2k fex's instead of adding 6509's and copper, the fiber up to the n5k's is alot neater and less expensive then running 24-96 copper runs to every rack. now theres 2-16 fiber cables per rack rather then anywhere from 24-96 copper patch cables going into every rack based on density/port requirements...seeing the difference in a large environment, i definitely think if theres some density in the rack its much neater with a top of rack switch

Here is my home lab setup

Top:
2924M

Mid1:
2610XM
2621XM

Mid2:
HP V1910 - 24 port GB (main home network switch)

Bottom:
Spares NexentaStor main storage server. 1 port Intel GB management/data, 2 port Intel GB for iSCSI to vmware box.

Supermicro workstation/server: vmware ESXi. Hosting server2k8, CentOS, NexentaStor, SBS, Nexenta Core, etc. NexentaStor has onboard LSI 1068E passthrough, and controls the 8 hotswap bays. It automatically pulls data from main storage server. server2k8 gets com1 passed through to play with Cisco gear.

This sits outside my office where my daily use stuff is, since the switches/routers can get annoyingly loud.

Juniper firewall and osx PLUS open dns give s a very good secure setup, open dns will help filter out all the unwanted "CRAP" hence why i said more secure.

I wasn't talking about the DNS features, more less talking about open dns's features they provide.

Juniper firewall, OSX, OpenDNS, dedicated PTP line, biometrics, a gun, body guards, firm belief in God, and more is a very good secure setup.

I really have to ask, where do you guys get those racks? And how much? I've wanted a nice ~24U one for awhile now, but I can't find any for a decent price!

I really have to ask, where do you guys get those racks? And how much? I've wanted a nice ~24U one for awhile now, but I can't find any for a decent price!
Dirt cheap on craigslist. Only really going to find them if you're in a major city however.

Toronto deffinatly has racks listed on both Kijiji and Craigslist.

The only problem is that they are not always on the cheap side. Deff under 400$ though for a full size one.

Sometimes can also find them on ebay for cheap since most dont want to pay the shipping for them

Toronto deffinatly has racks listed on both Kijiji and Craigslist.

The only problem is that they are not always on the cheap side. Deff under 400$ though for a full size one.

Sometimes can also find them on ebay for cheap since most dont want to pay the shipping for them

Problem is though, I don't need a full-sized 42U rack, I need a half-height one, which it seems no one has :(

The one I just posted was from CDW, about $1100 after shipping and tax. I got a pretty good deal, full 42U + side panels. Single big front door, double small back doors.

The one I just posted was from CDW, about $1100 after shipping and tax. I got a pretty good deal, full 42U + side panels. Single big front door, double small back doors.

I guess with $50grand in gear that's not much :p

I guess with $50grand in gear that's not much :p

Exactly, I was not about to go rack hunting to get a good deal to save $500

If it was for my house or something then sure I'd wait and look for a deal.

I may post the old Dell 42U in the FS/FT when we are done with this project. It only has a 25" depth, which was why we could not use it, the new hypervisors are 27.25" deep by themselves. So the new one is 34" deep so I can also put the PDU's inside :)

Exactly, I was not about to go rack hunting to get a good deal to save $500

If it was for my house or something then sure I'd wait and look for a deal.

I may post the old Dell 42U in the FS/FT when we are done with this project. It only has a 25" depth, which was why we could not use it, the new hypervisors are 27.25" deep by themselves. So the new one is 34" deep so I can also put the PDU's inside :)

I totally though it WAS for your house :p Just the way the carpet and doors looked in the low-res pic, I guess I'm crazy! :D

I totally though it WAS for your house :p Just the way the carpet and doors looked in the low-res pic, I guess I'm crazy! :D

lol here's the old one without the doors on it.

Lots of cleaning up to do, almost everything except the AS/400 back there is being virtualized. :D

Haha love the classic green CRT screen in the shelf :) +10

Indeed it is, just don't want to pay to get the hardware to put it on a PC console. Requires a card + computer and some other stuff. Not worth the money, the green screen works fine and we'll be done with that system over the next few years hopefully. I got a couple spare green screens as well, stupid Twinax stuff. :D

For those of you with multiple servers at home, how many outlets are you utilizing? I have two UPS units in my rack with each one going to a different outlet. I have two servers (one for each UPS) but I want to add more and am concerned with how much load I can put on a single outlet. Thoughts?

You're going to be limited to 15A per outlet (unless you have something larger, but then you'd know). This is of course if you don't have anything else on the same circuit as you'll otherwise trip the breaker (which will probably be 20A at most).

If you are in Canada and your house was built in the 80's like ours, but original panels, you will have 10 amp breakers. our basement was wired stupid and although legal, 12 outlets are on the same breaker. but daisy chained (parents wont fix it) with servers i am using 7 amps. So 5-8 amps on each outlet on the same wire you will be hot. 10 you will trip it. Make sure your outlets are not on the same line.

If you are in Canada and your house was built in the 80's like ours, but original panels, you will have 10 amp breakers. our basement was wired stupid and although legal, 12 outlets are on the same breaker. but daisy chained (parents wont fix it) with servers i am using 7 amps. So 5-8 amps on each outlet on the same wire you will be hot. 10 you will trip it. Make sure your outlets are not on the same line.

That's a messed up house... I didn't even know they sold 10 amp breakers, and I worked Electrical at Home Depot!

A single wall plug provides up to 15a. If you have a single 15a UPS and you give that a dedicated circuit, you're fine. If you have other stuff on it, calculate its amperage and scale down.

I've been using my old WRT54G running dd-wrt as an AP. I wanted to consolidate rack space so I decided to put it in a 5.25" bay - it's not too pretty, but it works:

5VGdS.jpg

Now if Nortel here in Canada did that with half it's switches and gear maybe it could live another year...
:) Nice job on size!

I used to have a little linksys switch moded into a blank 5.25" cover, with the power soldered down to a molex connector since it was 12v, what's the power rating on the wrt? It would be cool to run it back to the cdrom molex and run an internal patch cable back into the system on a firewall box.

Seriously show some images how u got that in there so nicely. Im picturing my untangle box with built in AP now. Would be so convinient...

I've been using my old WRT54G running dd-wrt as an AP. I wanted to consolidate rack space so I decided to put it in a 5.25" bay - it's not too pretty, but it works:

5VGdS.jpg

Clever, yes, interesting, yes, needed, ???

Why go for that approach rather than just a VM on a USB dongle for the AP - (much better antenna placement posibilties), especially if you are going to put it on a molex (since this would require the machine to be on anyway)?

Seriously show some images how u got that in there so nicely. Im picturing my untangle box with built in AP now. Would be so convinient...

Darn, I should've taken pictures during the build. I hate to take it apart now because i hot glued a few components so the PCB doesn't push back into the case. I'll try to explain it though - I just did it while watching Modern Family and Colbert :-P

1. De-solder the antennas so they can be fit through the casing later.
2. Dremel off about 1" off the side of the device up to the button on the PCB. This was all just a blank PCB and did not contain any wiring for the device - obviously you need to keep all circuits intact.
3. Gut your CD-ROM drive (pretty simple, just removing some screws).
4. I placed some rubber feet (usually used for chairs) underneath the PCB in a few places to prop it up to the slit in the CD-ROM casing.
5. Hot glue just enough to keep things in-place, but don't go overboard or you'll never be able to work with it again.
6. In the front bezel, drill 2 holes big enough for the antennas to go through. Feed the wire through and re-solder.
7. Re-assemble CD-ROM drive casing.

Clever, yes, interesting, yes, needed, ???

Definitely not needed. As stated, I just had a WRT54G laying around from years ago. I hate neglecting working hardware so this was my way of re-using it without having to give it it's own U space in my rack - and didn't have to purchase any additional hardware.

My humble little network, to start off w/ I've got a PIX 506e that I got off ebay for about $60 w/ a power brick. The little fan in it ended up dying, so I went ahead and just put an 80mm over the cpu. I had to zip tie the power cord on since the clip is broken, and it likes to fall out w/ a slight bump. I'm wanting to get my hands onto a cheap PIX 515e to run the lab side of things once I get my lab going.

My nice little Aironet 1200 which provides ABG wireless to my laptop and iphone.

Cisco 2900XL switch w/ PIX and modem ontop, I got this for free from a school which I recently revamped, I'd really like to get something a little newer that can do port trunking, but this serve's my needs so I can live w/ it.

Then two two beast's that I have on my desk, my Mac Pro on the left which I use most of the time and also run a 7 Pro VM in it for school work (MIS Major, so some of our project require Groove, Visio, and Project.) It's sad 9gb of ram, and I use most of it. Then on the right I have my ML350G6 which I do use on occasion for ESXi for fiddling w/ Microsoft Servers and what not, I had it running Exchange 2010 for awhile, although I shut it down when I decided to revamp and just havn't had a chance to bring it back up.

My humble little network, to start off w/ I've got a PIX 506e that I got off ebay for about $60 w/ a power brick. The little fan in it ended up dying, so I went ahead and just put an 80mm over the cpu. I had to zip tie the power cord on since the clip is broken, and it likes to fall out w/ a slight bump. I'm wanting to get my hands onto a cheap PIX 515e to run the lab side of things once I get my lab going.

My nice little Aironet 1200 which provides ABG wireless to my laptop and iphone.

Cisco 2900XL switch w/ PIX and modem ontop, I got this for free from a school which I recently revamped, I'd really like to get something a little newer that can do port trunking, but this serve's my needs so I can live w/ it.

Then two two beast's that I have on my desk, my Mac Pro on the left which I use most of the time and also run a 7 Pro VM in it for school work (MIS Major, so some of our project require Groove, Visio, and Project.) It's sad 9gb of ram, and I use most of it. Then on the right I have my ML350G6 which I do use on occasion for ESXi for fiddling w/ Microsoft Servers and what not, I had it running Exchange 2010 for awhile, although I shut it down when I decided to revamp and just havn't had a chance to bring it back up.

Nice little setup, congrats on upgrading your stock video card :)

Just bought my self a brand new macbook pro 13" today, now to go buy a 27" apple display.

Yea, completely forgot to mention the upgraded video card in the mac pro, it's actually an evga 8800gt that I flashed to get working, $60 sure does beat $160 for cards on ebay. I'm running 2 19" monitors w/ it, one of which is hooked to a kvm for the other computers I have around, it is really convenient to be able to look something up on the mac, drag it to the left, and hit some keys to go work on something else.

Congrats on the MBP, mine will be two years old coming january, so I'll probably sell it come this summer. Still up in the air on what I'll get after that.

Yea, completely forgot to mention the upgraded video card in the mac pro, it's actually an evga 8800gt that I flashed to get working, $60 sure does beat $160 for cards on ebay. I'm running 2 19" monitors w/ it, one of which is hooked to a kvm for the other computers I have around, it is really convenient to be able to look something up on the mac, drag it to the left, and hit some keys to go work on something else.

Congrats on the MBP, mine will be two years old coming january, so I'll probably sell it come this summer. Still up in the air on what I'll get after that.

Keep it, just throw a SSD into it :) only 2 19" woah! LOL! Kinda small nowa-days!

More server room work. This time it's a goody pile for our VMWare installation:

Box pile: (Showing two of three new 8-way dell 2950 III's with 32GB RAM each)
IMG_0601.jpg

Another Box: (NetApp FAS 2050 with 2.4TB SAS Storage)
IMG_0602.jpg

Before shot of the rack space:
IMG_0603.jpg

Racking the FAS: (the gap below it is for two more APC UPS-es)
IMG_0604.jpg

VM1 Racked:
IMG_0606.jpg

VM2 Racked:
IMG_0607.jpg

VM3 Racked:
IMG_0608.jpg

Cabling starting:
IMG_0612.jpg

Cabling finished:
IMG_0615.jpg

Dedicated SAN Switches:
IMG_0616.jpg

Cabinet shot: Love the grit and crap on the floor from drilling the anchor bolts...)
IMG_0618.jpg

Is that cable ladder mounted upside down?

Back