Network pics thread

Its nothing fancy but does the trick. I took these with my new Nikon Coolpix L16 7.1mp camera that I picked up in he states for $100 at wally mart.

Server005.jpg

^ Is my network with my rack mount cabinet closed.
Server004.jpg

Now with my rack mount cabinet open
Server001.jpg

This is the front, the cables were better now there crap but im gonna fix that up.
Server002.jpg

Now my server that serves my ftp, http, openfire, samba, and other stuff. Specs in sig.
Thats a old HP P3 matx case that I had laying around, but im buying a Elite 330 in the next few days so ill upload a new picture once I get it and make the rackmount tabs. Im also gonna be buying another Western Digital 500GB for some 1TB goodness in Windows Home Server.

PS: The original pictures were much better, photo bucket makes them look like shit.

kewl, I didn't know you could get 110v PSUs for the 650x series. All the ones I have ever worked with were 220v. :D

Is Cisco hiring in Iowa? :D

no pictures of the server this time but...

2 x Quad Core Xeon E5405 (2.0GHz, 2x6MB, 1333MHz FSB)
4GB Ram
4 x 146GB SAS 10k 2.5" HD RAID 5
Redundant PSUs
Windows Server 2008, Standard x64 Edition
25 x WIN TERMINAL SVCS CAL 2008
and all the other usual stuff write back battery backup raid card etc etc

look at task manager... lol

img0077zl4.jpg

Here's a picture of my rack. It's screwed into the beams in my basement ceiling. There is an old Cisco 2924XL performing switching duties and a Cisco 3620 doing the routing. The silver box in there is my Untangle UTM appliance. XP 2500+ and 1.5 GB of RAM, three NICs. On top of the switch on the left is my Buffalo wireless router running in AP mode. I would upgrade it to DD-WRT but it isn't supported, which I found out after I bought the stupid thing. It's got the A/B/G Atheros chip in it and runs at 50mW so it's got decent enough signal strength for my house. Next to that is my crappy Motorola Voice/Broadband modem thingy.

rack348nn4.jpg

By captcolonoscopy, shot with HTC-S621 at 2008-09-03

Here's a picture of my gaming/media center PC. It's an old-ass Antec SX1040B from about 6 years ago that I modded the crap out of. 4x 120mm fans and 2x 80mm fans. 3x 250GB Seagate HDDs in RAID5 care of a crappy Silicon Image PCI RAID card. I plan on upgrading that to a REAL RAID conroller in the near future, as well as upgrading to 4-5 320GB drives. The 8600GT card folds 24/7 now.

puter314ps5.jpg

By captcolonoscopy, shot with HTC-S621 at 2008-09-03

I also have two laptops and an X-Box 360. I'm going to draw up a Visio quick and post that soon.

Here's a diagram of my little home network. I forgot to put in the 32" Sony Bravia LCD TV that the X-Box 360 is hooked up to. We use the 360 more for the Media Center capabilities than playing games.

adneynetpc3.jpg

By captcolonoscopy at 2008-09-03

We are expanding our server room to accommodate a new 4-post cabinet.

With the walls torn down I took the opportunity to snap some pics of our current setup:

IMG_0558.jpg

Drools. I miss my old ShoreTel IP 560 phone at my old job. Now at my current job we are stuck with old, old, old Nortel/Meridian analog phone system that is on its last leg. I loved the ShoreTel Call Manager software. Never touched a button on the phone, just used my software to control my headset :).

:mad:
Trying to get my company to switch to ShoreTel.

My humble addition, but it's my setup for now.

I eventually hope (when my father and I finish our basement; just drywall to go!) to move most of the servers and the HTPC to the basement (with a 14U rack, gigabit switch, the works!), and have a nice big TV there. Right now though, everything off the switch is in my room, my sisters computer is in her room, the HTPC is in limbo (most likely will be in our living room soon), and the rest are all in our "computer" room (spare bedroom).

What my network WILL look like when my basement is done:

Aether-030 is the same as Hades-020. I've got 2 of them (one is mine, one is on loan from a friend).

Nice setups guys, good to see this thread being revived.

I haven't really got a network worth posting at the moment but maybe later when i've moved house properly :p

Well, rack pictures finally, not complete, but when is a rack ever complete....

Picture looking in the door to the server room:
Picture001-7.jpg

Picture002-8.jpg

Switch wiring, here again, not complete, but a work in progress.....
Picture003-7.jpg

Picture004-6.jpg

KVM:
Picture008-4.jpg

Power (2 20A circuits):
Picture006-4.jpg

A little wiring clutter:
Picture005-4.jpg

MySQL server hiding back there, going to make a new rackmount to replace this old Compaq.....
Picture009-4.jpg

Lights out, eye candy:
Picture011-3.jpg

Very nice rack and servers. What length are those orange patch cables? 1 Foot? Smaller?

that looks like a Hotel of some sort

Nope, just my server room at home...

Very nice rack and servers. What length are those orange patch cables? 1 Foot? Smaller?
1ft, from eBay, I like the look with any cable ties, makes it easy to reroute a line without un-tieing or cutting anything!

Yea, what is goin on with the two cable boxes?

Think, Sage TV server with 10 tuners hooked up, I love tv, and record a lot of History and Discovery HD.. The cable boxes are for any non clear QAM channels, and I have 5 clients connecting to the server, 2 HD-100 Extenders, 2 PCs with the Client and a Placeshifter client running at work, so I always have access to tv.......

gjvrieze, I've got a question:

Your rack doesn't have rails, only the mounting holes at the front. Can that support most rackmount computers? Also, where do you find a small (~14U or less) rack like that?

Your rack doesn't have rails, only the mounting holes at the front. Can that support most rackmount computers? Also, where do you find a small (~14U or less) rack like that?

Its not the strength of the relay rack(thats what he has) its more the strength of the brackets on the server and the screws(as well as making sure that you don't put a heavy server at the very top). If you look at his 8th picture, you can see a 2x4 supporting the 5U server.

also, he has a standard 42U rack, not 14U. There are tons of both on ebay.

Did some network reconfigs since I last posted. Mainly the inclusion of a SBS box, an Untangle UTM, and a bunch of HTPCs for all!

Network2.jpg

yeah I'll get some pics snapped of the things I have access to (room mates PCS and such are off limits lol) some time this week, I dont have my camera with me.

it's really not that impressive when you factor in I live with two room mates and most of the stuff is divided among us. (all the switches and servers are mine though)

Its not the strength of the relay rack(thats what he has) its more the strength of the brackets on the server and the screws(as well as making sure that you don't put a heavy server at the very top). If you look at his 8th picture, you can see a 2x4 supporting the 5U server.

also, he has a standard 42U rack, not 14U. There are tons of both on ebay.

Aah alrighty.

We use 2-post racks in our telecom CO's. The racks are rated to hold 1,000 pounds each. As long as you use the recommended lugs to hold the rack to the floor and good brackets.

I have been in a few IT places that didn't have proper floor-mounts on 2-post racks just to have the racks tip-over.

My mini home network setup
whaaaat-1.jpg

I tried a similar setup a while back (having my cordless phone base near my wireless access point) but had problems with losing my network connection every time the phone rang. Mind you, I was running a 2.4Ghz cordless phone base and a Wireless-G WAP though. I take it you don't have the same problems?

Heres my humble network.

Belkin UPS and DLink DES-1024D (I used to have a Cisco switch on duty here, but I swapped to my DLink because its quieter and cooler.)

network1.png

From left to right: IPCop Box (PIII 933, 512mb ram,) Ubuntu Box (P4 3.0, 1gb ram,) Win 2k3 Server hosting Windows XP (for game serving) and Linux VM's (X2 3800+, 2gb ram, ATI X1350, 1.5tb storage.)

network2.png

This is my internal web server and UTM device. Its running cacti, snort, and a few other goodies on Ubuntu. (P3 733, 768mb ram)

network3.png

These are the rest of my toys. Two 2600 routers, a 2900XL 1u switch, an Intel WAP, and two FORE ES2810 Switches (one not pictured.)

network4.png

Not pictured: DLink 5 port switch at my wifes workstation, a Dell Poweredge 2500, and a second DLink router in the living room connecting our gaming systems, and out media pc (same specs as the win2k3 box.)

I just moved the shelving over to a new wall, so cable organization comes next weekend.

I have 2x4s holding the back edges of the machines in question, the file server is very heavy and I think it would break or bend the front of the case without rear support....

Drools. I miss my old ShoreTel IP 560 phone at my old job. Now at my current job we are stuck with old, old, old Nortel/Meridian analog phone system that is on its last leg. I loved the ShoreTel Call Manager software. Never touched a button on the phone, just used my software to control my headset :).

:mad:
Trying to get my company to switch to ShoreTel.

Yeas indeed I am loving my ShoreTel gear. I never use the phone either. In fact, when I work from home I VPN into the office, connect to the switch and use a USB headset to make calls. No more hour-ling long-distance calls for work on MY phone line. :D

Also more network pics:

Server room finally expanded and getting ready to re-rack all of our gear: (I still can't get over that busted server shelf :mad:)

IMG_0581.jpg

Our new Dell cabinet for all the new gear we are setting up:

IMG_0579.jpg

New, shitty AC unit to help keep the room cold:

IMG_0580.jpg

A visio of the cabinet setup:

cabinet.png

From top to bottom:

Cisco 2960G (SAN switch - iSCSI)
Cisco 2960G (SAN switch - iSCSI)
Dell R200 (DC01)
Dell R200 (DC02)
Dell R200 (Utility box)
Dell R200 (ShoreTel Voice server)
Tape Drive
Tape Library
KVM
KMM
File Server
Exchange Server
Development Server
MD1000 (external direct-attached storage)
Dell 2950 III (Database Server)
Dell 2950 III (VM 1)
Dell 2950 III (VM 2)
Dell 2950 III (VM 3)
NetApp FAS 2050 SAN (iSCSI Attached)
UPS
UPS
UPS

I tried a similar setup a while back (having my cordless phone base near my wireless access point) but had problems with losing my network connection every time the phone rang. Mind you, I was running a 2.4Ghz cordless phone base and a Wireless-G WAP though. I take it you don't have the same problems?
I made sure to pick a 5.8GHz phone to avoid interference with the router.
Also, I had to lock my router to 2.4GHz since it's a dual band 2.4/5.8GHz N
It's been working flawlessly since.

Figured I'd post the ghetto network at my current work place.

img0034fc3.jpg

Cisco 3524. Right GBIC is symmetrical 10Mbit WAN from our Untangle box right below, left is fiber to the basement. CAT5 cable with red tag is HoultonLive.com's webcam.

img0033or5.jpg

Another 3524. This is the main bench area, where all the magic happens. I think it's about time I replaced some of that CAT5. :rolleyes:

So anyway, that's basically the core of the network. We have switches and antiquated hubs literally everywhere though. I'm going to map shit out when I get it tidied up enough.

networkdiagaram.jpg

Nothing too special here. The Fortigate FW policies are locked down very tightly allowing only explicit traffic in and out. And coming soon will be a Symantec Sygate Management Server which will provide host based IPS/IDS and firewall to all my hosts.

Just got the rack yesterday, it's a 42U APC NetShelter. Not done yet, which is why the cables are all a mess and only a few things are on.

Top to bottom is:
24-Port CAT5e patch panel
HP ProCurve 1800-24G
HP ProCurve 2900-24G
HP ProCurve 5406zl (48 10/100/1000 PoE ports and 24 SFP ports)
IPCop Firewall (I'm looking for something new, the top is off so I could pull out the loud fans and put on the big 120)
Custom 12TB iSCSI SAN (Repositorium 1.0 in the Work Log section)
Vritual Server (Dual 3.0GHz Quad-Core with 16GB of memory)

Need to move my Proxim AP-4000 and APC UPS into the rack still.

093008_211000.jpg

Sorry for such a bad pic, took it with my phone.

Not much there.

WGR614 router (junk, but I got it cheap)
Westell 6100 DSL modem (junk also but, didn't pay for it, it came from Verizon (my ISP))

And my file server:

Sempron 1.8GHz
512MB DDR400
40GB boot disk (Ubuntu 8.04)
160GB storage

Plan to hopefully get a firewall up eventually.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/Ops_666/093008_211000.jpg

Sorry for such a bad pic, took it with my phone.

Not much there.

WGR614 router (junk, but I got it cheap)
Westell 6100 DSL modem (junk also but, didn't pay for it, it came from Verizon (my ISP))

And my file server:

Sempron 1.8GHz
512MB DDR400
40GB boot disk (Ubuntu 8.04)
160GB storage

Plan to hopefully get a firewall up eventually.

You stole my server!!!!! :mad: JK, mine has the same case, and same cpu. Did you get your case from a old hp pc?

You stole my server!!!!! :mad: JK, mine has the same case, and same cpu. Did you get your case from a old hp pc?

Why yes I did. I don't have the rest of it but, it was my first PC I could call my own.

That was all I had so I just through it in it.

Why yes I did. I don't have the rest of it but, it was my first PC I could call my own.

That was all I had so I just through it in it.

The hp was our first pc too, and i dont have the rest of it either (mobo died). Also it was my only case i had laying around that i could use. This is wierd. :confused:

Back