• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Network Connection not working in Vista

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,273
I have a friends pc running Windows Vista Home Premium and the network connection will not work inside Vista. The hardware is fine I have tested it from bootup. I have booted up with Kaspersky and Bit Defender AV boot disc and updated boot of them with the network connection and they both scanned the whole computer and found nothing. I have also used ComboFix and the problem is still there.

The network connection icon of the taskbar shows "The dependency service or group failed to start". I have looked under Service in Admin Tools and don't see anything there that I can tell this isn't running that should be. When I right click on the network connection icon and select "diagnose and repair" I get "network diagnostics cannot run because the diagostics policy service is not running" When I try to start that service I get an Error 5: Access is denied.

In the Event Log, I am seeing some error with the DHCP and all of them have say "the DHCP Client is shutting down. The following error occurred: Access is denied"

Anyone got any suggestions?
 
Windows firewall is a big depency for your network connections. Make sure your base filter engine service is started and your windows firewall service started. If they aren't then there is one possibility why you do not have connectivity.
 
Windows firewall is a big depency for your network connections. Make sure your base filter engine service is started and your windows firewall service started. If they aren't then there is one possibility why you do not have connectivity.

Yes, base filter engine is running.

I have also run /sfc scannow and it did find and fix some things and others it said it could not.
 
Your friend didn't happen to get the Windows Vista\2012\7 security center virus did they?

If so, it could be that a service has had it's permissions changed.

if not, try uninstalling your network cards from device manager, then reboot.
 
Your friend didn't happen to get the Windows Vista\2012\7 security center virus did they?

If so, it could be that a service has had it's permissions changed.

if not, try uninstalling your network cards from device manager, then reboot.

No virus that I can find so far. I ran BitDefender and Kaspersky from boot DOS cdroms and found zero...nothing. I ran ComboFix from within Vista and no luck.

Is there any particular AV program to run for the Windows Vista\2012\7 virus?
 
you'd know if you'd have it. (Fake windows security)

Try uninstalling\your NICs in device manager, reboot. Widnows should then autodetect the NICs. See if that helps.
 
you'd know if you'd have it. (Fake windows security)

Try uninstalling\your NICs in device manager, reboot. Widnows should then autodetect the NICs. See if that helps.

I will try that tomorrow, but the NIC is showing up with no errors in the device manager.
 
right, assuming there aren't any driver issues with the devices, you wouldn't. Uninstalling/reinstalling the NICs for the most part resets the NICs and dependencies back to a default setting.
 
Tried the NIC thing, no good. Same problems exist. Going to try a repair install and if that doesn't work then a clean install.

thanks everyone!
 
Are you running any AV software with its own firewall and / or firewall modifications. I just worked on this same issue last night for about 2-3 hours. A Hitman scan found 2 items that I pulled off the machine, and after that and a Hijack This clean up of BHO's we had it working.

Strangely enough though it still showed Local Only access in the details area of the NIC information window, but in the lower right corner it showed full internet access.

This machine was running Norton 360, and I disabled the firewall temporarily for testing, it didn't seem to change it.
 
Back
Top