Network camera question

ratedm

Limp Gawd
Does such a camera exist that I can connect to my wired or wireless (either is fine) home network that I can view without it blasting video feed to an online "cloud" service or without setting up a NVR? I'm looking to just set up a camera in my nursery that my wife can either open up a web browser & view to or an app on her iphone/galaxy tablet. I would prefer not to use WAN bandwidth with TV streaming and online gaming already in my house. I've spent hours googling this topic and I can't really seem to find what I'm looking for. The best options I've seen so far are things like d-link and nestcam that constantly use internet bandwidth or the handheld RF baby monitors that suffer from signal interference galore. I hate to buy a baby monitor and then not need it where as I could buy a camera and then move it to an entrance of my house down the road. Budget would be no more than $250 preferably.

Uhm... You don't need a NVR, just something that can encapsulate it to something streamable or use VLC. ffmpeg+ffserver on a should on a router if it only needs to "remux".
As long as it provides a true video stream that is...

Last edited:
The basic Dlink cameras don't need to connect to any service but they can.

If you set them up manually you can just login via the IP and view it. I've set them up for people and it seems to work well.

I use a hikvison 3mp dome camera, no fancy software just web browser. There is also a hikvison app for my iPhone. Camera records to onboard 32gb sdcard (optional). Live stream works great from browser or iPhone if you are on wifi.

Used a couple of baby monitors before but they aren't very durable. Went with the ip cam.

I don't have audio setup on mine but it can be done with models that have mic input.

Every network camera I've used has a web interface. Are you looking for one that records local? Or doesn't record at all?

Also, Ubiquti cameras come with free NVR software that allows you to view with an app, and they're relatively cheap.

It doesn't need to record at all. I'm just looking for sometime to locally live stream & an iphone app.

+1 for hikvision. They have an app for Android & iOS that can connect directly to the camera for live stream.

If you're using it for a baby monitor, you might want to pay attention to any delay due to encoding. I have a Unifi UVC and it had a good 30 sec. lag when viewing with the android app.

heh, I just did a bunch of digging around this weekend looking for the same thing, though also looking for something inexpensive and could get locally.
I had no luck :(
Ended up getting the Android app Salient Eye on an old phone.
Just need it to monitor my front porch, as I believe I had a package stolen Friday within 2 hours of it being "delivered."

Redundant signature is redundant (and pointless)

I purchased this camera from amazon and set it up today:

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_accessries_10510_i7599.html

I don't understand all of the negative reviews about the "difficult setup" of these cameras? It was extremely easy and straight forward. The day and night picture quality is pretty impressive for wireless (1 floor up ~ 30-40 ft away). I have it transmitting audio as well. I am going to fish a cat6 cable through the walls/ducting/floor this weekend so that I do not have to use wireless on it.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use (for wife) app for her iphone and galaxy tablet to view the camera with? I'm really looking to make my life easier here...

Just go to the AppStore and type in hikvison. They have their own app iVMS 4500. Just put the camera info in the app and you are ready to go!

Hikvision is good. Or you can go with a cheap TrendNet. Thats what I did a few years ago - wireless TrendNet with IR, and placed it in the room and pulled it up using tinycam on my android using dyndns, so i could view on or off the network.

Worked seamless, and accomplished my goal with a ~$75 investment.

Back