Ultimate $25 File/Media Server and Internet of Things

mi7chy

2[H]4U
After my disappointment with iOS I set out to discover what limitations the alternative Android has.

Story short and a picture to tell a thousand words...

20150629_154223a_zpsuioom1an.jpg

What you're looking at is a $25 Moto G 2013 (3rd row) with $25 64GB Micro USB OTG flash storage expansion (20MB/s USB to internal, 13MB/s internal to USB) acting as WIFI access point and file/media/surveillance camera server:

- 72Mbps 2.4GHz 802.11n hotspot is present but on/off toggle is hidden by carrier but you can use Hotspot Control

- running tinyCam Monitor Pro in the foreground pulling and displaying video feeds from two Moto Gs (2nd row with screen facing down) running IP Webcam Pro serving as security cameras with motion and audio detection

- running BubbleUPnP in the background automatically broadcasting available content and pushing four 1080p video streams to Galaxy S6 (4th row) and two Moto Gs (5th row) running same app with zero configuration plus MX Player while Thinkpad Helix2 with Windows 8.1 has native support

- in the background serving as DavDrive WebDAV file server for moving files from Android clients running Solid Explorer and Windows 8.1 natively via UNC (can also map network drive) and with greater throughput than SMB

While IoT is a recent buzzword and there are cheapish $35 Rasperry Pi 2 like devices nothing comes close to the completeness, features and build quality of the Moto G 2013 (display is same quality and 326 ppi as iPhone 6 for example). What's even more attractive is Moto G 2013 can be found on sale at Best Buy for free after reward points/dollars, as low as $20-25 on sale in-store, $25-30 on Craigslist or ~$40 normal price. It's so cheap it begs for ideas. I'm exploring OTG power from wall outlet as 24/7 server and possibly a larger more reliable OTG SSD storage. It's also begging for more load thrown at it so may add a few more as WIFI test clients.

Did you get one or some before it catches on and sell out? And, what are you using it for?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ive never seen a moto g 2013 priced that cheap any where. Even in store like you say. I dont doubt your word, I just havent seen in that cheap. It does sound like something to mess around with for sure.

ahh ok, found it around $40 as a verizon version. are any unlocked on gsm at this price?

ive never seen a moto g 2013 priced that cheap any where. Even in store like you say. I dont doubt your word, I just havent seen in that cheap. It does sound like something to mess around with for sure.

ahh ok, found it around $40 as a verizon version. are any unlocked on gsm at this price?

It seems to go on sale regularly at Best Buy. I caught it by accident on the latest $25 deal earlier this month and ended up with $25 rewards which I used towards one of the five I now own. If it goes on sale again for $20 like for July 4th I'll probably pick up a couple more. Aside from other things I also use it as a backup phone on WIFI for calls with cellular 911 which works even non-activated and SMS both via standard 7-digit Google Voice/Hangouts Dialer so haven't really followed the GSM model.

3/11/2015

5/19/2015

5/30/2015

This thread has me thinking.

I have an old Nutone Radio/intercom/speaker system in my house that I would love to yank out.
Only there is one on the porch, each room and a master control in the kitchen and they don't work.

I could yank them out run a USB charging cable to each and use a 19" monitor with a small Android Raspberry Pi behind it to replace and update the system.

Each of my 5 bedroom has a 5" speaker intercom that I would replace with one of those. Then run iHeart Radio, ect as music or individually control whatever media.

Sweet. thanks for the inspiration.

I wonder what cheap 5-6" tablet or smart phone I could use.

God damn you. You just made me regret not jumping in on those cheap smartphone deals! :p

Just tried free Nokia Here off-line maps and it works well as stand-alone GPS without data. Register with temporary email to download off-line maps. It can easily handle state maps which are about 200-500MB each since it has ~5GB free out of box with OTG flash expansion capability.

Not new but sign up for free Google Voice 7-digit number then use it with Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer to make/take free calls, voicemail and SMS within North America including Canada over any WIFI. With Google rolling out free WIFI on every city street worldwide why even pay for a plan?

How about using accelerometer with Motion Broadcast app for earthquake detection, security or baby monitor. Want to see this integrated into the tinyCam Monitor Pro and IP Webcam Pro apps.

Going for a workout and need a PMP? This is an even better iPod since it has built-in FM radio tuner.

How about utilizing the built-in CPU and battery temperature sensors to monitor my network lab or your home network closet?

Need more ideas and apps!

Last edited:
Last one for today before I forget.

Want it to be cool like the other pricey phones with wireless charging? No problem. Just affix one of these QI pads to the outside back cover, plug into USB then put a case over.

Last one for today before I forget.

Want it to be cool like the other pricey phones with wireless charging? No problem. Just affix one of these QI pads to the outside back cover, plug into USB then put a case over.

Beware the cheap pads like those. I went through like 3 or 4 (different "brands" but all suspiciously similar looking) before buying one from adafruit. All of the cheap ones I bought would just randomly stop charging once in a while. (phone makes noise when it starts charging) The one from adafruit has been flawless thus far.

Beware the cheap pads like those. I went through like 3 or 4 (different "brands" but all suspiciously similar looking) before buying one from adafruit. All of the cheap ones I bought would just randomly stop charging once in a while. (phone makes noise when it starts charging) The one from adafruit has been flawless thus far.

Thanks for the info. Good to have options but I noticed the Adafruit are 600ma while the Bluboon is 1000ma so faster charging and supposedly one of the better ones on Amazon per reviews.

Another idea for today. Heard about airline and satellite hacking recently in the news? Get familiar with Software Defined Radio and this RF Analyzer app that's compatible with the Moto G with $24 NooElec SDR dongle. Watch the video to realize cool things you can do like demodulate AM/FM/ham radio signal or steal encryption keys passively. Also, follow Michael Ossman to learn more about SDR and he's also the creator of HackRF One SDR hardware.

Last edited:
Record breaker always-on WIFI idle battery life. It just shamed all the pricey phones. :(

Will have to repeat with WIFI optimization on so as long as I can receive inbound IP calls and SMS.

Screenshot_2015-07-15-10-22-36a_zpspgafafs1.png

Screenshot_2015-07-15-10-25-01a_zpsdnrvgwhs.png

Back