Network bandwith monitoring program?

da233

Limp Gawd
Are there any programs out there that's able to monitor the bandwidth usage of every computer on a network?

Depending on where you want the monitoring yes. There are 2 ways I could see doing this.
  1. If the switches support SNMP any monitoring application that can poll the switches interface counters. MRTG, Zabbix, etc.
  2. Flow based monitoring on the router, this may not be as precise though depending on how the flows are tracked.

Individual, I'd go with DUMeter. All as a collective, then I'd agree with Xipher: MRTG. Awesome piece of software. Takes a little bit to configure, but it is really a nice and light product.

Good to know. Are there any inexpensive routers that allow one to throttle each users bandwidth?

Once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. The only thing I haven't mastered yet is writing queries.

i use netlimiter pro for my pc, i think it can monitor other pc's network usage if installed, but not sure.
has some nice functions in it, check it out

I'm needing to do this same thing in the office.

Needs:
monitor bandwidth consumption by individual user/computer
monitor bandwidth consumption by website/application/etc.

I need to figure out what is taking up so much of our bandwidth and whether we really need another data line or whether I can curb some Internet usage here at the office in order to make the Internet faster.

It's a 55 user office and we are all connected through 4 Cisco Catalyst 2950 switches and... I just looked and we apparently don't have a firewall. We have two T1 lines coming in - one goes into our load balancer, and the other goes into a DLink DES 1105 (wtf?) which splits this line into two - one into the load balancer and one into our VPN concentrator.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?

Back