Network Bandwidth Tracker????

Mmm.vap0r

n00b
I have an annoying roommate who will torrent mid day and stream hulu stuff clogging up the network at my house. As a college student, the local internet sucks as is, so I need all the bandwidth I can get. Everyone connects through a wireless linksys router in my room. Is there anyway I can track the bandwidth percentage being sent to each IP connected to the router? or any other way I can "catch" him hogging away?

If your router is supported and if you're up to it, install DD-WRT or Tomato firmware onto your Linksys router. One of the features that those firmware have is bandwidth monitoring.

Are there any other options beside flashing a Linksys router with DD-WRT or Tomato? I don't have internet issues but I would like to see say a monthly total or weekly totals for all bandwidth in and out of my house.

Are there any other options beside flashing a Linksys router with DD-WRT or Tomato? I don't have internet issues but I would like to see say a monthly total or weekly totals for all bandwidth in and out of my house.

You could also install pfSense (this seems to be most recomended), monowall, ClarkConnect, or IPCop on a PC with two NICs and turn that PC into a router. Those free router/firewall/gateway OSes do include bandwidth monitoring.

If you only have one PC or don't mind checking each PC manually, you can install NetMeter on however many PCs you have. Netmeter has daily, weekly, and monthly reporting and can warn you if you're nearing your bandwidth cap.

If your router is supported and if you're up to it, install DD-WRT or Tomato firmware onto your Linksys router. One of the features that those firmware have is bandwidth monitoring.

eh. i kind of wanted to do this discretely. cuz he constantly denies it, and i'm trying to catch him red handed. lol. how easy is DD-WRT flashing? my knowledge level i would say is average to above average

eh. i kind of wanted to do this discretely. cuz he constantly denies it, and i'm trying to catch him red handed. lol. how easy is DD-WRT flashing? my knowledge level i would say is average to above average

it's pretty easy if the router is supported. Even the TFTP method is not hard. I did one the other day when the thing didn't work out the way the idiot Fry's sales people said it would. I just enabled the TFTP server in Windows 7 on my laptop, set a static IP, and sent it to the outside interface of the router as soon as it started responding to pings. (2 command prompt windows). Use the micro version for the original flash, that minimizes issues.

It thinks for about 3-4 minutes after the flash, don't disturb it.

Later after you have the micro loaded, you can upgrade to the full version, but you really don't need it for most features, the micro DD-WRT has more features than most factory loads already.

Check the DD-WRT site and make sure your specific model and revision of router is supported. They have very extensive tutorials there. It's not that hard.

set up SNMP on your router, and set up an SNMP trap on your local machines interface. subtract your bandwidth usage form the total, the end result is his.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I had this situation happen recently.

I have dd-wrt installed. I setup rflow on my pc and the router, and have been logging a roommates usage ever since. It's quiet, and doesn't increase network traffic. I showed him just how much he was destroying my network and has since backed off. It should work for you as well. the ddwrt wiki has some good instructions on it.

Those free router/firewall/gateway OSes do include bandwidth monitoring.

Ummm...last I checked, PFsense requires bandwidth to be install via the package manager.

untangle re-router?

Untangle doesn't do much of anything for bandwidth monitoring. Other then blocking protocols or ports, this isn't going to help.

have you tried port forwarding?

For what? He wants to track usage.

To the op. If it was me, I'd run a PC from your modem to the AP. Use PFsense as your router, install bandwidth via the package manager. Use your current router as an ap/switch.

This is totally transparent. I am guessing eventually you'll say enough is enough. PFsense has a good traffic shaper built into it, so you can prioritize the traffic, along with create a penalty box for those that are heavy down loaders. Al you need a p3 box and 2 nics. Its cake to setup.

Otherwise, the dd-rt will have the tracking you want also.

if you have a old computer install smoothwall then you can allow timed access on network and his computer and also you can see how much bandwidth traffic like (Traffic statistics,Traffic address statistics that will show every ip address on the network).

Back