Netgear MR814 won't let me access admin page, 401 unauthorized no popup for user/pass

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Hi all,

I reset my router to default settings (a Netgear MR814 v2) so that I could redo the wireless settings and my password, as I didn't remember it. So, I then plugged in the ethernet cable from my cable modem into the router's internet ethernet jack, then one from my computer into one of the router's LAN ethernet jacks. Voila! I go through the default setup prompts that it gives you when you first use it, and save the settings. Now, I tried to go back onto it so I could actually set up my manual settings, and... NOPE! Instantly, without any pop-up box to enter a username/password (it should be at the defaults anyway), it says just: 401 unauthorized on the screen. An ipconfig in the cmd prompt shows that the default gateway is 192.168.0.1, which is what I'm putting into IE7 (I'm running Vista 32). My computer is obtaining a proper DHCP IP from the router, and I am able to access the internet just fine (or I wouldn't be typing this :D). Does anyone know how to make it let me try to log in? I called Netgear and was told I had to do the online registration first, so I tried to go through that and it claims it can't find the product for my router's serial number :rolleyes: and cannot continue :(.

Thanks!

EDIT: GOOGLE-FU!!! It turned out I had "anonymous logon" for automatic under TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>SECURITY>CUSTOM LEVEL>USER AUTHENTICATION. I needed to change it to "automatic logon only in intranet zone", then I was able to get the login prompt for my router :).

Back