Netflix Subscriber Numbers Are Way Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix released its Q1 earnings report today and, for the most part, things are looking pretty good. The company surpassed 40 million members in the US, 20 million internationally, and 60 million in total.

We added a record 4.9 million new members globally in Q1, against our forecast of 4.1 million and prior year of 4.0 million, bringing our total global streaming membership to 62.3 million. In the US, we gained 2.3 million new members, well above our expectation of 1.8 million due to both acquiring and retaining more members than forecast. Internationally, we added 2.6 million members versus a forecast of 2.25 million due to stronger growth than expected across a number of markets.

I wonder if Daredevil gained any subscribers? I'm sure it is being pirated, too, but I am curious as to how much Netflix and other streaming original shows are pirated. The content is there, it's available for a low cost, and it's good quality (and back episodes are available).

Netflix has been kicking some ass with their original shows lately.They are bringing in a ton more revenue, but apparently less profit. But, for these new shows using some of that, I can see their user base increasing. At least they are profitable, unlike a lot of other internet services!

I think season 3 of House of Cards fell flat, but Daredevil is fantastic. I'd love to see Netflix pick up Banshee.

I don't understand how Netflix survived in the earlier part of the decade, when its core business model involved mailing DVDs. That is the stupidest fucking idea ever, and I can't believe people actually bought into that.

I don't understand how Netflix survived in the earlier part of the decade, when its core business model involved mailing DVDs. That is the stupidest fucking idea ever, and I can't believe people actually bought into that.

Are you joking? It was an awesome idea and a million times better than driving to the video store, and cheaper. It was revolutionary.

Are you joking? It was an awesome idea and a million times better than driving to the video store, and cheaper. It was revolutionary.

Yeah. How could you not like it? I was a DVD subscriber for years. The vast catalog of movies is what made it work.

?

It was great. Go to work, come home, check mail, movie waiting for you. They were quick, you could have movies like every day/other day if you were constantly rotating your que. And it was cheap. 40-50 USD a month for 8 DVDs at a time, getting one or two a day? Way cheaper than Blockbuster, with 10x the selection.

I like HoC S3. It showed Frank's weakness, not understanding allies, and his complete unwillingness to compromise even when it was for keeping ultimate prize.

Now if his wife just wouldn't fuck up everything thing she touched.

I wonder if Daredevil gained any subscribers? I'm sure it is being pirated, too, but I am curious as to how much Netflix and other streaming original shows are pirated. The content is there, it's available for a low cost, and it's good quality (and back episodes are available).

Netflix has been kicking some ass with their original shows lately.They are bringing in a ton more revenue, but apparently less profit. But, for these new shows using some of that, I can see their user base increasing. At least they are profitable, unlike a lot of other internet services!

It brought me back. Had it up until a couple of years ago. But all the hype, reviews, and two week trial brought me back.

Pirating Netflix shows is actually more trouble than just paying a few dollars for a month worst case.

People actually have to go out of their way and either use HD space, or pay for removable media to pirate shows.

Brilliant!

Glad to hear it. You absolutely cannot beat it for all the material you get for only $8 a month! As a cord cutter, Netflix is worth its weight in gold as far as Im concerned. Here's to continued success.

What happened was...you subscribe to multiple DVD's at once...burn them on that ole DVD burner, return them for more. Now you download software to create DVD covers and such, and bam...business outta the trunk.

...Using their intelligence and Internets, streaming was their next leap to not going down the gutter.

And now they "produce" their own series to keep up w/ the bigger subscription channels.

I always loved it and Netflix was making money hand over fist. 10 years from now someone might be saying "They streamed movies over the internet? How dumb was that?" in comparison to the most recent technology that delivers movies to consumers. :D

It was good enough to basically finish off blockbuster.

blockbuster tried to survive by having its own online service, which was actually pretty good compared to going to the store, but the selection and prices couldn't compete.

the only thing that kept them around that long was their access to the block buster movies. when you went into the store it was like 6-10 new releases with about 50-100 copies on each display. but now blurays are so inexpensive and come out quickly enough that their model is just too outdated...well they're gone now.

I don't see many redbox around where I live but back then you could also just supplement netflix with redbox's new releases and still come in with a better selection and lower price than a blockbuster membership.

nflx stock seesaw wow. you could have made a hefty profit buying/selling the past 12 months.

You have to remember at that time Netflix was competing against video rental stores, not streaming. Compared to those Netflix was a lot cheaper, had a much bigger selection of films, and you didn't have to physically go to the store. It was an improvement over local video rental in almost every way, plus it actually had less overhead than running physical retail stores.

Netflix mail/DVD service still has much a better selection than their streaming service actually, particularly for older or less well-known films.

Pirate Bay and EZTV got taken down for an extended time in Q1 of this year. That's why their numbers are up.

millennial detected.

ZONE....out......

I don't think people want to watch Netflicks I think the LCD light has got them.

Pirate Bay and EZTV got taken down for an extended time in Q1 of this year. That's why their numbers are up.

Neither of those are nearly as popular as media would like people to believe.

Believe it or not people that pirate a lot of stuff still pay for Netflix. I admit to pirating tons of new release stuff. I don't feel bad about it in the least. The entertainment industry produces so much crap, no one in there right mind is going to plunk down 20-30 bucks for every Bluray of every terrible movie in the world.

I think what the industry is starting to come to terms with is... people like me pirate tons of stuff every day... I also spend 50-200 bucks a month on Physical music and movies... and I sub to Netflix.

People download new stuff cause we now live in a give it to me now culture. Most of us also support artists we like with our $... and Netflix has been a forward thinking company and deserves the small bit of $ it costs to support them every month. The industry seems to be slowly learning, that quality sells even if its getting pirated. I pirate GOT no doubt, won't ever sub to HBO cause its a rip off... I do own GOT Season 1 on Blu and will likely collect the rest at some point. So HBO is more then getting there cut out of me, I'm just not going to pay them to watch things the day. (or recently month before) there episodes air on there over priced legacy TV channel.

Wonder how many new subscribers are from Canada, where new anti-piracy laws just kicked in as of Jan.1?

Welp I sure feel like an idiot for pulling out my shares of netflix stock when they were below 90 a share. I knew I should have stuck with my gut.

So with this many more subscribers, maybe they can start negotiating for some newer streaming titles.

So with this many more subscribers, maybe they can start negotiating for some newer streaming titles.

Given the number of international subscribers and continued domestic growth, I'm not sure that they are too worried about acquiring streaming rights for new titles at the moment. They seem to be putting a lot more money into developing their own content, which may be a greater net benefit long term. They have also been getting new seasons of TV series much faster than movies lately. It better fuels the addictions of the binge watchers.

Pirating Netflix shows is actually more trouble than just paying a few dollars for a month worst case.

People actually have to go out of their way and either use HD space, or pay for removable media to pirate shows.

Brilliant!

HD space is cheap. Pirating is easy. But, there was the argument that if the price is right and the content is available, piracy will go down. Netflix is cheap, the content is available. With Daredevil being pretty popular, I'm curious to if that argument can stand up.

Netflix has been worth the cost for me, easily. So much content that I've watched.

Some pirates will pirate regardless of cost or availability. No doubts. But, for others, if it's available to them for cheap, will the still pirate, or will they actually pony up and go legit?

I think season 3 of House of Cards fell flat, but Daredevil is fantastic. I'd love to see Netflix pick up Banshee.

I agree that House of Cards wasn't as interesting in Season 3, but I suspect it was a little bit of an "Empire Strikes Back" season setting up for an intriguing season 4.

At least so I hope.

Love me some netflix. I just watch old tv series while working out, but my kids use it a lot for all kinds of cartoons. I'm sure they are killing nickelodeon and other stations who cater to kids. My kids have little to no experience with broadcast tv and would be shocked you couldn't watch what you want when you want it.

There is such a backlog of good content out there and most of the recent stuff isn't any better. Might as well watch old stuff at a steep discount than watch the overpriced new shows. Who the hell is paying a couple dollars an episode to watch a tv series? So many cheaper alternatives these days.

Back