Netflix Hikes Prices, Adds DVD-Only Plan

This

I find it funny everyone is immediately dropping to streaming, even though these prices wont go into effect for a month and a half.

If you dont send them a message before they implement this, then
how will they be given a chance to retract it later?...;)

To those bitching about the increase, and canceling or threatening to cancel, are you still going to purchase movies made by the studios that are necessitating this price hike by gouging Netflix on the licensing?

Gang rape is as illegal as single rape.

Both are crimes with the same intent.

Definitely considering dropping Netflix services over this. I use instant streaming quite a bit for TV shows, and I get maybe 2-3 Blu-Ray's per month. At these rates though I will probably drop both services and go with free Hulu and maybe Red Box for the few Blu-rays I was to see.

Forgot to add, it obviously beats the "Premium Cable" packages.(I have them, HBO, MAX, STARZ, and those other 2, forget the names). And its really hard to find a good movie most of the time, only good on recently has been series(Spartacus and Game of Thrones was good). So I find Netflix really worth it, even at $16 a month for basically everything.

I'd agree if any of the titles were new-er, but there 6 months to a year
behind the DVD releases from the studio.

I can't remember the last time I actually watched a dvd. I've been full digital for years now. I would be willing to pay more for streaming if I had to, I really enjoy it.

Quality of streaming sucks compared to DVD on Blu-Ray.

Ummm I guess all you guys missed the story about how Sony just cancelled a contract with Netflix and many other studios are preparing to do so, and renewing these contracts will cost Netflix many, many times more money than previous contracts to stream their movies. The price hikes are no surprise.

Then bye-bye Netflix!

no thats not the right analogy. I said gym membership as $10/mo because it represents the incredible savings vs a normal gym membership of $60/mo.

You can't just say a gym membership of $60 going to $96 -.-

just stick with: netflix still cheap cable still expensive

LOL OK

I guess a lot of my not understanding the backlash on the increase is the fact here in canada we never had anything but streaming, and netflix is doing everything they can to bring us streaming including the deals with paramount to give new movies before PPV gets them (tho I still wish we got the star trek deal you guys in the states did!!).

if the movies on US netflix are 6 months to a year behind ... well for 7.99 i'd still pay it, but I can understand the hesitation.

Well I will probably be cancelling my service once this plan change goes into affect Sept 1 and I have been a member since 2005.

The comments on this are really telling, Netflix has spoiled most of you rotten with impossibly cheap service.

$7-8 a month for unlimited DVD rentals by mail is ridiculously cheap. It's 44 cents to mail one letter, and they'll mail you an unlimited number of DVD's a month for under $10? Then when they raise prices by a few bucks everyone moans about how much of a ripoff it is...

Screw you people. :rolleyes:

The comments on this are really telling, Netflix has spoiled most of you rotten with impossibly cheap service.

$7-8 a month for unlimited DVD rentals by mail is ridiculously cheap. It's 44 cents to mail one letter, and they'll mail you an unlimited number of DVD's a month for under $10? Then when they raise prices by a few bucks everyone moans about how much of a ripoff it is...

The majority of people only rent 4 discs out a month. Netflix also isn't paying 44cents per, they get volume rates. If their previous rates were unsustainably low, why did they offer them that low in the first place?

The comments ARE telling. They tell that most people don't want to pay so much. A 60% price hike overnight is unprecedented in the retail and service world.

The majority of people only rent 4 discs out a month. Netflix also isn't paying 44cents per, they get volume rates. If their previous rates were unsustainably low, why did they offer them that low in the first place?

The comments ARE telling. They tell that most people don't want to pay so much. A 60% price hike overnight is unprecedented in the retail and service world.
I realize they get lower rates, but still. $8 for watching as many of their movies as you can in a month is absurdly cheap.

Remember when Blockbuster used to be $5-6 per movie? Now people bitch about as many as you want for $15. You people have been given too much for too little for too long.

You mean Netflix said...'Screw you people"...:rolleyes:

I think we all understand that one.

My opinion of Netflix is turning sour especially when combined with their crappy site redesign. They were great back in the day when I was stuck on dial-up; not so much anymore.

I realize they get lower rates, but still. $8 for watching as many of their movies as you can in a month is absurdly cheap.

Remember when Blockbuster used to be $5-6 per movie? Now people bitch about as many as you want for $15. You people have been given too much for too little for too long.

Blockbuster is bankrupt (or nearly so), so you can see how well that $5 a night movie thing worked and how much consumers liked it, so that's a poor argument.

$8 works out to about $2 per movie if you get 1 a week or $1 per movie if you turn around and watch the movie and mail it out the next day and get 2 a week. Redbox is similarly priced and you only pay for what you use.

As noted earlier, regardless of how good of a "deal" it is at $16, it's still 60% more than it was before, and it isn't like you are getting better service. It's one thing if they raised the rate and then brought in more streaming titles to compensate the consumer's increased cost.

I understand Netflix's position. They have increased costs. The real greedy bastards are the movie studios who (like their counterparts in the music industry) still haven't figured out a way to embrace the digital age.

I just canceled my membership. The new $8 a month plan only allows for 1 device to stream content simultaneously. I'm not paying $16+ a month to allow multiple devices. Besides, the selection was really old and poor quality.

Blockbuster is bankrupt (or nearly so), so you can see how well that $5 a night movie thing worked and how much consumers liked it, so that's a poor argument.

$8 works out to about $2 per movie if you get 1 a week or $1 per movie if you turn around and watch the movie and mail it out the next day and get 2 a week. Redbox is similarly priced and you only pay for what you use.

As noted earlier, regardless of how good of a "deal" it is at $16, it's still 60% more than it was before, and it isn't like you are getting better service. It's one thing if they raised the rate and then brought in more streaming titles to compensate the consumer's increased cost.

I understand Netflix's position. They have increased costs. The real greedy bastards are the movie studios who (like their counterparts in the music industry) still haven't figured out a way to embrace the digital age.
Blockbuster was doing fine with their high prices until Netflix came around and started dramatically undercutting them. $8 all you can eat was never a sustainable business model in the first place.

2009 Net income: $116m, revenue $1.67b. 7% profit margin when the average person largely under-uses compared to what they could. Any cost increase across the board and they're in the red.

I just canceled my membership. The new $8 a month plan only allows for 1 device to stream content simultaneously. I'm not paying $16+ a month to allow multiple devices. Besides, the selection was really old and poor quality.

Where did you see that information, I'm not seeing that 1 device streaming for $8. If that were the case there would be a tier of just streaming for more then 1 device as well then.

When my boss decides to give me a 60% pay increase
(that will be the day!), I MIGHT subscribe again.

Till then, there history.
Hello Redbox!

Mine went up to 29.98. Who cares? It is still an awesome deal. I have the unlimited streaming and 4 dvds out at a time. Hell, most months I may go through 3 or 4 dvds a month, sometimes I have ones for six or seven months. Netflix is awesome and I will never get rid of it.

Can anyone that switched to the NEW streaming only confirm how many devices can stream at the same time?

The old streaming only plan was 1 device

The $9.99 1 disc at a time plan allowed 2 devices

Since they are now separated and this is the only "streaming only plan", it should be more than one device at a time.

Thanks

Mine went up to 29.98. Who cares? It is still an awesome deal. I have the unlimited streaming and 4 dvds out at a time. Hell, most months I may go through 3 or 4 dvds a month, sometimes I have ones for six or seven months. Netflix is awesome and I will never get rid of it.

What flavor did ya get? Was it cherry, grape, tropical punch or maybe one of the new Fun Fizz flavors—Partyin' Punch, Gigglin' Grape, and Laughin' Lemonade.

Can anyone that switched to the NEW streaming only confirm how many devices can stream at the same time?

The old streaming only plan was 1 device

The $9.99 1 disc at a time plan allowed 2 devices

Since they are now separated and this is the only "streaming only plan", it should be more than one device at a time.

Thanks

I sign up about 2 weeks ago, and in the 7.99 streaming package. I can stream to 2 devices same time. I use this for my daughters tv so no need to pay 10 a month per box for dish boxes. I am a very happy netflix user.

I sign up about 2 weeks ago, and in the 7.99 streaming package. I can stream to 2 devices same time. I use this for my daughters tv so no need to pay 10 a month per box for dish boxes. I am a very happy netflix user.

Well that's confirmation about the old streaming plan anyway.

Still like to confirm the new plan though.

They need to update their info, cause it says on their site:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan.

Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

well, I used to have 4 at a time, then 2 at a time, now canceled... sorry but the price is getting unreasonable

I guess that I am going to go with DVD rental only. The streaming was good for TV shows that I happened to miss, but their online movie selection is pretty weak. Plus, just about everything that is streamed, you can get on disc, but not the other way around. If they ever get their entire library on streaming, I'll never rent again. Any movies that I really love, I tend to buy them on Bluray and watch them over and over in glorious 1080p.

I'll have to see what the new price is for the 3 DVDs + Streaming is before I make a determination on whether or not to cancel ... this does indeed stink to high heaven though :(

I'll have to see what the new price is for the 3 DVDs + Streaming is before I make a determination on whether or not to cancel ... this does indeed stink to high heaven though :(

$23.98 a month
$27.98 a month with Blu-ray

So ISPs place bandwidth caps to make netflix less cost effective and netflix counters with a huge hike in prices 0.o?

Glad someone gets it.
In recent news the movie studios have been increasing the licencing for their product. They want to cash in on something NetFlix created a demand for. What can they do accept to pay what they ask, the price has to go up. When the farmer raises his prices on watermelons, the grocer isn't going to eat the extra cost.

There are a few of us in here who understand and a few spoiled kids whose allowance won't cover the increase.

netflix raises its prices and the QQers come out of the woodwork

do you have any idea how much value you're getting for $16/mo?

cancel your service and go back to cable/blockbuster to find out

idiots

x2

amen.

Blockbuster was doing fine until services like netflix cut there throats with unrealistic pricing.

The movies studio ARE figuring out how to embrace digital and maximize their profits. That's why we can expect higher and higher prices. They can just charge Netflix out of business and release their own overpriced streaming service.

There are a few of us in here who understand and a few spoiled kids whose allowance won't cover the increase.

x2

amen.

Blockbuster was doing fine until services like netflix cut there throats with unrealistic pricing.

The movies studio ARE figuring out how to embrace digital and maximize their profits. That's why we can expect higher and higher prices. They can just charge Netflix out of business and release their own overpriced streaming service.

I'll be staying with my same streaming +1dvd/BR. Even at $18 I get full value from it.

well even if they lose 50% of their customers they will be making to same money. 50% less customers = 50% less work, not bad...I would love to make the same money with half the work :confused:

thanx

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpKGHOvqsFc"]‪Hitler Reacts to Netflix Increase In Pricing‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Hitler responds to the Netflix raise in prices.

Quality of streaming sucks compared to DVD on Blu-Ray.

That's true but it's better than broadcast and I'm not paying for high def cable. The truth is it's plenty good for most people. Even with the high adoption rate of HD tvs in homes these days 90% of the signals going into them are not HD. People just don't care. All they know is they want the biggest flat screen they can afford.

Back