Netflix Gets Serious about Its Anti-Piracy Efforts

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix used to play it cool in the past when it came to piracy, going as far as using torrent data to determine what was popular and worth buying. Now that it is producing tons of original content, however, the company is changing its stance to the tune of typical Hollywood studios when it comes to enforcing copyrights. Aside from your typical DMCA business, Netflix is creating new roles within the company in charge purely of tackling piracy.

The casual stance has long gone, and today Netflix is operating on par with the major Hollywood studios when it comes to copyright enforcement efforts. Last year we reported that the company had begun sending DMCA takedown notices on a large scale, but its actions don’t stop there. While Netflix doesn’t boast about its anti-piracy efforts in public, a recent job listing for a Global Copyright Protection Counsel is quite a revelation. The counsel in question will support Netflix’s “Global Copyright Protection Group,” a department the streaming service hasn’t mentioned in public thus far. One of the key focuses of the job is to minimize online piracy, through an advanced strategy.

In the past they were content conduits. It didn't matter if people pirated because it was outside of their conduit.

Now they are content creators and they have a vested interest in piracy.

This would be akin to saying Youtube was ok with piracy when "Charlie Bit My Finger" was uploaded to Vimeo and they did nothing. But now they send takedown notices of YouTube Red videos posted on vimeo. It's not an attitude change, it's a role change.

If Netflix really gave a shit about piracy, they would kill their disc service. Which some might argue they passively are.....though not for the sake of piracy.

personally i think they're being heavily pressured by the movie companies to stop piracy or they're going to try to claim netflix is breaching their contracts.. netflix's customer numbers even in NA are still growing which is a sign that piracy doesn't have much of an effect on their core product while they're still getting screwed by the same contracts that don't allow them to give the same content to their international customers.

personally i think they're being heavily pressured by the movie companies to stop piracy or they're going to try to claim netflix is breaching their contracts.. netflix's customer numbers even in NA are still growing which is a sign that piracy doesn't have much of an effect on their core product while they're still getting screwed by the same contracts that don't allow them to give the same content to their international customers.

This is about them directly as a company. Not "the studios". What the article is saying is that Netflix previously used the ebb and flow of pirating to determine what content people really wanted but didn't want to spend a lot on. So Netflix could say "Hey Studio XYZ we noticed that a lot of people are torrenting The X-Files, but that the actual sales of DVD's are not that great. What if we offered you not as much profit margin as your DVD's, but more consistent income over time?".

However, where things are changing is that Netflix realized the better way to get people to pay for the service was to offer something they can't get anywhere else. So for example if you wanted to watch House of Cards, you would have to pay the monthly Netflix fee because you can't get it on DVD or watch it on any other service. So if they see House of Cards show up on Pirate Bay then it undermines the entire reason they created House of Cards, hence, the take down notices. The goal of "original" content to be controlled content. If they lose control of that content, then they are in the same boat any other studio would be in.

Why the hell do people pirate Netflix content?? I don't get it?? A subscription costs next to nothing, its more trouble, time, and expense to pirate their content than to simply stream it legitimately. I understand pirating content you may not have access to in your region, but if can't cough up $10 a month for Netflix, that's pretty pathetic and you should really reevaluate your life choices.

In the past they were content conduits. It didn't matter if people pirated because it was outside of their conduit.

Now they are content creators and they have a vested interest in piracy.

This would be akin to saying Youtube was ok with piracy when "Charlie Bit My Finger" was uploaded to Vimeo and they did nothing. But now they send takedown notices of YouTube Red videos posted on vimeo. It's not an attitude change, it's a role change.

If Netflix really gave a shit about piracy, they would kill their disc service. Which some might argue they passively are.....though not for the sake of piracy.
It's also because much of Netflix's appeal is their exclusive content and if it's on a torrent site, then they may lose customers.

About the only time I can see where torrenting is semi-justified is if you're going on a trip and you want to watch, for example, a Marvel series. Disney doesn't allow it to be downloaded, so you're SOL on the flight. But over all, most of their stuff is downloadable via their app, so there's very little excuse for downloading, other than you're unwilling to pay for content.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy on this one. Netflix is right, but I suspect that here, on the "piracy is my god given right site," most will disagree.

Why the hell do people pirate Netflix content?? I don't get it?? A subscription costs next to nothing, its more trouble, time, and expense to pirate their content than to simply stream it legitimately. I understand pirating content you may not have access to in your region, but if can't cough up $10 a month for Netflix, that's pretty pathetic and you should really reevaluate your life choices.

I have netflix, and I still find I frequently download their content. *shrug.

if Netflix sees a decline in subs, that would be more about the content they offer than piracy, they went to war with big studios, with a reduced content, they started making original content, the problem is, they made only shit lately, netflix is house of cards and orange is the new black, everything else is shit, so how are you supposed to gain subscribers ?

I have netflix, and I still find I frequently download their content. *shrug.

I do wonder what the legal argument would be there. You are paying for the license to view as they see fit so you legally can't download something that is outside their distribution method. But at the same time, you to do pay the access fee and they do not sell physical discs. So arguing damages on their behalf would be very hard. I'd like to see a case like this be heard. Just to see what the outcome is.

if Netflix sees a decline in subs, that would be more about the content they offer than piracy, they went to war with big studios, with a reduced content, they started making original content, the problem is, they made only shit lately, netflix is house of cards and orange is the new black, everything else is shit, so how are you supposed to gain subscribers ?

I think you underestimate Marvel fandom.

So Frequency, Travelers, and Sense8 is "shit" to you? It might not be the BEST, but it is far from shit.

not possible, some are so bad, you can't possibly come up with arguments to defend them.

From your posts in this thread your taste is horrible so there is no need to defend anything.

The rise of illegal streaming websites has made it much easier and safer to get loads of content for free. I agree that $10 a month is cheap but 'free' will always be the better deal.

I bet a majority of the content being pirated are probably in countries that don't/can't get Netflix.

But I didn't read the article.

Because the pirates that are grabbing Netflix content will never pay for it. $10 a month isn't the issue. I'm sure they COULD pay for it. They just won't. These people will always be pirates, regardless of the tactics of Netflix or Hollywood.

The more casual pirates will pay the $10 a month and get the legit content most likely. Remove the restrictions (geographic, etc.) and they'll pay. If someone can't get it (Canada, UK, wherever), they'll pirate it.

Make it accessible and cost friendly, and the casual pirates will start paying for content. The others won't. They wouldn't even if it were $1.

My biggest issue is geographically restrictive DRM. I shouldn't have to use VPNs or torrented files just to watch a new or favorite show when I'm not living in the US at this time. I currently pay for Netflix but I do have to use a VPN connection just to make it work.

My biggest issue is geographically restrictive DRM. I shouldn't have to use VPNs or torrented files just to watch a new or favorite show when I'm not living in the US at this time. I currently pay for Netflix but I do have to use a VPN connection just to make it work.
You can still use VPN to circumvent their geolocked content? I thought they had plugged that hole.

Netflix content is Better than most cable crap.. plus its different and not afraid of new things

But why would anyone pay to watch content months late or never (geobanning) with no or shoddy localization (pirated content have much higher quality subs and sooner), streaming over irrelaible connection with a shoddy locked in player, instead of downloading the torrent from an easy interface then watching it independent of internet connection with the device and player of their choice?

The pirates pretty much only exist because of anti-piracy measures.

Remove geo restrictions if you want to dramatically drop piracy.
Exactly this. Remove geographical restrictions, remove streaming restrictions, remove offline viewing restrictions, and most importantly remove player restrictions, and I'd be happy to pay twice as much. But I won't pay shit for the current state of affairs.

As I do often pay much more for content that they offer with no strings attached as in a simple downloadable drm free mov / mp4 file.

Exactly this. Remove geographical restrictions, remove streaming restrictions, remove offline viewing restrictions, and most importantly remove player restrictions, and I'd be happy to pay twice as much. But I won't pay shit for the current state of affairs.

As I do often pay much more for content that they offer with no strings attached as in a simple downloadable drm free mov / mp4 file.

My point of view also.

But why would anyone pay to watch content months late or never (geobanning) with no or shoddy localization (pirated content have much higher quality subs and sooner), streaming over irrelaible connection with a shoddy locked in player, instead of downloading the torrent from an easy interface then watching it independent of internet connection with the device and player of their choice?
Why pay for anything though? I mean fuck it, that requires money.

One frustrating thing about Netflix are the selective downloads. For example, I just started watching Luke Cage and Iron First. Last week, I am traveling with work and flying 8 hours total. I want to download those and watch them on the plane but for some reason, they are not available to download. They are even Netflix originals but no go. This is really frustrating.

I just downloaded Narcos (via Netflix, not illegally) and Vikings (Amazon Prime) instead.

I still download the shows/movies because some trips etc I take I don't have internet or fast enough internet to stream, yet I have had a Netflix sub since it first started, streaming only now however. I would also be willing to pay more for extra/better content, no issue with it what so ever.

8-12$ a month, available anywhere , anytime , don`t get pirates on this one.

No it's not. Most is if you are in the USA, but lots of content is region locked, this is why you can't access Netflix when using a VPN, because Netflix can't tell for sure where you are from to filter (aka block) you from seeing shows not allowed in your region.

For offline viewing...same here.

Yep, same for me, I do lots of offline viewing or have to work with slow or metered connections.

Now, I still pay for the sub, and use it often, but I still download from other places so I can do what I want with the media and consume it how I enjoy it. They can be pissed off if they want, I am paying for it already.

The pirates pretty much only exist because of anti-piracy measures.

Remove geo restrictions if you want to dramatically drop piracy.

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

Gabe Newell

and he's completely right.

for me to watch GOT in canada it costs about 100 dollars a month.

that's the joke.

Because my HTPC is Linux and the only way Netflix works is through Firefox which they only just added support for last week! Problem is, it's limited to 720p. If I pirate it I can get 4K quality.

Also what if my Internet was too slow to stream 1080p or 4K, but if I pirate it I can download it overnight and watch later at full quality without any pausing or buffering.

Also what If I want to watch the content offline somewhere I won't have Internet. Netflix has an offline option finally now but it is not for every title and the downloads expire after 7 days or after 48 hours if you start playing the file.

And finally as other people have mentioned, to get around regional content restrictions.

Not everyone in the world lives in the US with crazy fast internet... i cant even stream 1080p Netflix... meanwhile I can watch a 4K copy if its downloaded.

As already said, piracy exists because of anti pirscy mostly.

If Netflix let me keep a copy to keep on my sever and access all content without the region shit then I would happily pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone in the world lives in the US with crazy fast internet... i cant even stream 1080p Netflix... meanwhile I can watch a 4K copy if its downloaded.

As already said, piracy exists because of anti pirscy mostly.

If Netflix let me keep a copy to keep on my sever and access all content without the region shit then I would happily pay for it.

This.

Plus there is the following:

There are only a couple of shows I care about on Netflix. Likewise there are only a couple on HBO. Hulu isn't available where I live even using a VPN. Is is worth it to me to pay for EACH of these services for a single season of watching the latest? $15/month for Netflix & > $20/month for HBO ($35)? When it is far cheaper to fire up my vpn and torrent them?

Then there is the fact they end up on my NAS so I can watch & re-watch any time I want without touching my internet cap.

Yes piracy exists. And people will pirate this stuff when it is more economical and convenient to do so.

I get it that these services and shows need to make some money. And if it were as convenient to me as using my NAS to stream them I would give them something for it. As it stands now now it isn't so for the time being Arr Matey! Raise the Jolly Roger!

So Frequency, Travelers, and Sense8 is "shit" to you? It might not be the BEST, but it is far from shit.
Technically, Frequency is a network show. Travelers is awesome and I like Sense8 too. The Fall was brilliant (BBC/Netflix I think). Grace and Frankie is well done and there are plenty of others that I've enjoyed. IF I don't get my money's worth out of Netflix, it's simply because I didn't have time to watch, not because there's not ample content that I'm interested in.

I bet a majority of the content being pirated are probably in countries that don't/can't get Netflix.
But I didn't read the article.
Netflix is available in all but 4 countries. Of those, China is likely the only place where piracy might be a huge factor. For the record those countries are Mainland China, Crimea, North Korea, and Syria.

I guess they have to make an effort to stop piracy. Otherwise, their partners might lose faith in them and not renew their contracts. Good luck though - no other company has been very effective at stopping anything yet.
I don't see how some of the people that pirate have time. I have a subscription to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I have more content to watch than I have time for. Soon, I'll subscribe to HBO so I can watch GoT. I guess i could try to pirate it - but it's not worth the time or effort for me. Not too mention, I do like to support shows I like so they can make more.

There will always be a crowd that just straight downloads pirated content to enjoy. This shouldn't be news to anyone that Netfilx is trying to pursue means to mitigate the accessibility of their first party shows from non-payed sources. It wasn't too long ago that an HBO exec bragged that GOT was the most pirated show on the internet, right before getting eviscerated after season 5 leaked online with it's first 4 episodes. This isn't a civil, give and take relationship, and while pirating often doesn't really infringe on what a content creator would have collected in the first place financially (people just aren't going to pay for some content, but if it's free they'll watch it. Not every movie that's pirated would have had a ticket bought in the theatee for, which is what financial number crunchers at studios argue is true) piracy has less of an impact than is suggested. Netflix really benefited initially from pirated content, since they were behind a subscription pay wall, a lot of TV CABLE CUSTOMERS would never have sampled original shows like house of cards or orange is the new black without having viewed pirated content. This essentially demoed their content and enabled many people to switch to netflix as a model for their consumption. Now that the demographic that benefited from sampling pirated content has been saturated worldwide, they no longer express any benefit from allowing the same scenario to propagate.

There will always be a crowd that just straight downloads pirated content to enjoy. This shouldn't be news to anyone that Netfilx is trying to pursue means to mitigate the accessibility of their first party shows from non-payed sources. It wasn't too long ago that an HBO exec bragged that GOT was the most pirated show on the internet, right before getting eviscerated after season 5 leaked online with it's first 4 episodes. This isn't a civil, give and take relationship, and while pirating often doesn't really infringe on what a content creator would have collected in the first place financially (people just aren't going to pay for some content, but if it's free they'll watch it. Not every movie that's pirated would have had a ticket bought in the theatee for, which is what financial number crunchers at studios argue is true) piracy has less of an impact than is suggested. Netflix really benefited initially from pirated content, since they were behind a subscription pay wall, a lot of TV CABLE CUSTOMERS would never have sampled original shows like house of cards or orange is the new black without having viewed pirated content. This essentially demoed their content and enabled many people to switch to netflix as a model for their consumption. Now that the demographic that benefited from sampling pirated content has been saturated worldwide, they no longer express any benefit from allowing the same scenario to propagate.
I don't completely disagree that sampling via piracy may help, it's not true that that was required to see House of Cards, for example. Netflix has always offered a month for free.

I am perfectly happy paying for and watching all original content ON netflix and not elsewhere because it is easy and not stupid expensive. If they continue to provide quality content at the current or near current price point, I personally do not feel the need to ever pirate any of their content. What I would like to see however, is new shows from other networks on netflix a little sooner.

Back