Netflix Agree to Delaying Delivery of DVDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix has caved in to Warner Bros. demands by agreeing to delay sending out new DVDs by a month so it could gain rights to show more movies over the internet. According to the report, Netflix will eventually make the same deal with other studios later this year. :(

The 28-day rental moratorium on Warner Bros.' newly released DVDs and Blu-ray discs is a first for Netflix, but it probably won't be the last. Netflix hopes to reach similar deals with other major movie studios later this year, using the Warner Bros. agreement announced Wednesday as a template.

I guess i'll have to re-think my netflix subscription.
I can rent movies for $1 locally so long as i bring them back in 24hrs, and i rarely do 10 netflix movies in a month.

Have they also admitted to throttling streaming to less than vhs quality if you watch more than X movies? :(

Time to drop my subscription down to just streaming only I guess. Like MrValentine said, I can rent NEW for a dollar a day. No reason to bother paying netflix more for less.

Have they also admitted to throttling streaming to less than vhs quality if you watch more than X movies? :(

I've never had that problem from Netflix. Between my wife and kids they probably watch 15-20 shows a week. If you are being throttled it is probably by your ISP.

So wait - what's the advantage to using Netflix over brick and mortar stores like Blockbuster? Oh yeah - nothing now other than doing it by mail. How retarded - Can I rent new releases? SURE! Just wait 28 days and drink this kool aid so you think that 28 days later = today. Morons. Both Warner Brothers for expecting this and Netflix for bending over.

Yeah... this is crappy. The more companies start doing this, the more money I'll have left in my wallet each month.

I don't care about newly released DVDs - I can another month. If I really wanted to see it that bad I would have seen it in the theater or bought the DVD. All I care about from Netflix is streaming and this deal will triple the Warner Bros catalog. How is this bad again?

Poop.

We'll probably keep our sub for the Blu-Ray, but if redbox starts renting blu-ray discs, that may change.

Do the studios think that by delaying netflix rentals for a month people will suddenly buy the movies they only intended to rent? Morons.

I really don't get this so can someone please explain - Why would someone agree to this? Personally, I rarely like to see new movies. Mostly because 1 out of 10 movies interest me because studios these days suck. I think most people can agree to that - movies these days are bad. When I actually see a preview via TV for something that actually looks good (rare, I know) - I want to see it. And no - im not going to wait 28 days while other ways are available.

Am I the only one who fails to see any logic in this whatsoever? Do they honestly think streaming movies is some kind of new wave that will overtake every other way of renting movies? Because sorry, I don't want to stream your shit quality on my 20" monitor when I have a home theater to use.

You're all joking, right?

New releases being pushed back a month VS more movies available online for instant, streaming play on your PC / 360 / PS3 (is netflix on there yet?) --> This is a no brainer for me. I will GLADLY take more movies online over waiting an extra month for new releases on DVD any day. If I wanted to see the movie, chances are I saw it in a theater. I can wait a month to see it on DVD. Who has time for DVD's to be mailed, anyway?

Thank you Netflix.

I don't get the point of waiting 28 days for new releases. Does WB really think more people are going to buy the DVD/Blu-ray because they have to wait 28 days now? They are acting like Netflix is the only means of getting new movie media now...

About the only thing I use from the service is the streaming but it is nice to be able to nab whatever new releases come out that I want to see also. This is a pretty big let down. Means you have to use a different service and pay more money if you want to see a new release.

Its nice that netflix realizes it needs to grow its online service and that is probably where the future is at. They don't need to screw their current bread and butter though.

I couldn't care less about current releases

From the article:

Warner Bros. already has agreed to contribute hundreds of additional movies to that service — triple the current catalog. They will include many titles that have only been out on DVD for three to eight months.

I'm signing up for the trial offer now. Anybody know if Silverlight has GPU acceleration?

I don't care about newly released DVDs - I can another month. If I really wanted to see it that bad I would have seen it in the theater or bought the DVD. All I care about from Netflix is streaming and this deal will triple the Warner Bros catalog. How is this bad again?

Damn straight. I want more streaming options.

From the article:

I'm signing up for the trial offer now. Anybody know if Silverlight has GPU acceleration?

It doesn't, they have a newer version that does some GPU acceleration but it's not the version Netflix uses.

With it taking a week for netflix movies to get to me and not allowing streaming outside of U.S. IPs, my subs probably going to get cancelled in the next few months, only thing I use it for is new releases.

Hey I have a GREAT IDEA. Let's make some sort of motion picture, and let's make it fantastic. Something everyone really wants to see. Now... let's not distribute it, or make it hard for our customers to get at, or expensive. Now we're in business!

The Motion Picture business has lost ways with appropriate motivations. Why would you make something and then make it harder for people to watch/enjoy (ala pay for such)? Oh wait, I remember, ridiculous theater ticket prices... Forgot about those, BECAUSE I BARELY EVER GO AS THEY'RE A RIP OFF.

How many BILLIONS did they turn PROFIT (not gross) last year? Triple that and that's what they say they lost to piracy...

Sadface@netflix.

I wholeheartedly agree that they badly need more content for streaming, but all delaying new releases is going to do is alienate a part of their user base and give all those red box kiosks a boost in sales.

netflix isn't the best option for someone wanting to watch new releases anyway. I think the one month wait vs. increased streaming is a good trade off.

Why would Netflix agree to this ? How could anyone come to the conclusion that this is a good deal ?

If you are pissed, let Netflix know about it. This is a TERRIBLE deal for the customers; it's pure profit rape for the studios, plain and simple. I honestly hope piracy surges for those WB movies.

Ok ~10 years ago, it took a year or more for a movie to be released to VHS/DVD after it had been yanked from theaters. Now, we often get movies released to DVD/BR in 6 months or less. A 1 month delay is not a big deal. And given the fact that it will allow Netflix to expand it's streaming offering, I see this as a non-issue and a potentially wise business decision.

I would prefer to steam all entertainment, so if they can increase their offerings, I will be happy.

More importantly why would Warner want this? The longer their property is available for rental means more money for Warner right? So now they have shortened their potential profits by 1 month? Huh?!?!?!

Some how Warner, I don't think you thought your dastardly plan through very well.

From the article:

Yes, which is why Silverlight is superior to Flash.

The only reason I refuse to sub with Netflix is because they don't have subtitles with their streaming service. I'm surprised FCC isn't all over them about it.

Consumers show you that they aren't willing to pay $20 for new releases. You can either A. listen to your customer base and provide options that they are willing to pay for, or B. piss them off and lose more revinue.

And they wonder why more and more people pirate... sheesh.

Can't help but feel this move also helps netflix with the supply issue of new dvds/blu-rays. For the last 1-2 months every new release has long or very long wait, which ironically was the reason they upped blu-ray prices several months ago to improve supply.

Actually a one month delay is a big deal. Some movies, if you do not get the new release right on time, you are waiting 3-4 months to get them because of the 12 million subscribers. Up for instance still showed very long way after 3 months, so i went to redbox and picked it up for free with promo code. I do not know about you, but I would rather have less movies streamed, until the quality reaches minimum of hulu level. Netflix quality is crap on the streaming. I think Netflix should of waited about 2-3 years before making this deal as I do not think most people are ready for streaming. Either the roku or some other box is needed for netflix on the tv/ buying a new tv or new blueray that has netflix integrated. Most people already bought tv and blueray before that and will not want to buy a newer one. I put my subscription down to 1 just for the bluerays, but I hope most people will cancel. I am sure if we can get 6 million people to cancel netflix will rethink their strategy, after all I do not think anyone would want to go in front of a board and say last year we had 12 million subscribers now we have 6...but wait we do get the movies for cheaper now....should we pass that savings on to subscribers....no well just put more crappy quality streaming movies online... that will make the customers happy...Very lame netflix shame on you. I would have expected netflix to atleast say well buy 50% more movies now to get them out to customers faster.

This is just another example of how bad (and how much power) business really is with media and content in our country.

Warner is doing this to see if it will help boost sales of DVD's instead of people renting and not buying. If they wanted to cater to the consumer, and not their god damn bottom line, we would have rentals, purchases and streaming together.

If you are pissed, let Netflix know about it. This is a TERRIBLE deal for the customers; it's pure profit rape for the studios, plain and simple. I honestly hope piracy surges for those WB movies.

I called Netflix to express my displeasure about this decision. They're keeping track, so if you have netflix definitely call.

They also the WB deal is supposedly for all rental places, not just them, but the press release didn't read that way.

It doesn't say this will allow the movies to be streamed right away either...

No, but more movies period is still a good thing.

More importantly why would Warner want this? The longer their property is available for rental means more money for Warner right? So now they have shortened their potential profits by 1 month? Huh?!?!?!

Some how Warner, I don't think you thought your dastardly plan through very well.

To try to get more sales. If it is true like others said and this will be with ALL rental places and not just Netflix, then what they are trying to do is get you to decide "Screw it, i'll just buy the movie"

Actually a one month delay is a big deal. Some movies, if you do not get the new release right on time, you are waiting 3-4 months to get them because of the 12 million subscribers. Up for instance still showed very long way after 3 months, so i went to redbox and picked it up for free with promo code. I do not know about you, but I would rather have less movies streamed, until the quality reaches minimum of hulu level. Netflix quality is crap on the streaming. I think Netflix should of waited about 2-3 years before making this deal as I do not think most people are ready for streaming. Either the roku or some other box is needed for netflix on the tv/ buying a new tv or new blueray that has netflix integrated. Most people already bought tv and blueray before that and will not want to buy a newer one. I put my subscription down to 1 just for the bluerays, but I hope most people will cancel. I am sure if we can get 6 million people to cancel netflix will rethink their strategy, after all I do not think anyone would want to go in front of a board and say last year we had 12 million subscribers now we have 6...but wait we do get the movies for cheaper now....should we pass that savings on to subscribers....no well just put more crappy quality streaming movies online... that will make the customers happy...Very lame netflix shame on you. I would have expected netflix to atleast say well buy 50% more movies now to get them out to customers faster.

I still don't know what you guys are talking about. I never have any problems with the quality of shows on Netflix. They look perfectly clear to me.

I still don't know what you guys are talking about. I never have any problems with the quality of shows on Netflix. They look perfectly clear to me.

From the couch yes, from my computer chair no (42 inch TV / Monitor). Not a problem for me either. I often don't even bother to hit the high quality button on hulu shows / movies. "Most" entertainment doesn't need fine details to be enjoyed.

Back