Nesteq Nova 600W Noisy!!

joshley

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
136
Hi people,

I have just plugged in my Nesteq Nova 600W and it seems to be pummelling out a lot of noise. The specs say the fans only kick in at 65 degrees, but it certainly isn't 0dB and it's only 26 degrees. Anyone else used one of these? I think it may be the noisiest bloody component! Getting more disappointed and agitated!

Anyone know how to safely test a PSU (i.e. turn it properly on) without any other components marring the test? Is there a way I can turn it on all by itself to check?

Thanks,
josh
 
Pull out the ATX connector, get a paperclip, jump the GREEN and any BLACK wire. it should turn on with the switch at the back of the psu.
 
joshley said:
What do you mean? Do I buy generic equipment much?

correct. That nesteq is something I've never heard of. who makes it?
 
Well, firstly I thought generic meant "no/unlisted brand" stuff, not "lesser heard of brand" stuff. Secondly I only bought it because Quiet PC list it as one of their top models, and to be fair it looked fairly smart! I read up as much as I could, but I could only find 1-2 reviews I think so I just took the plunge. I can't be 100% that the noise isn't coming from elsewhere without testing it stand-alone. Bbq, is that definitely safe?

edit: Actually, I can tell 100% it is the PSU fan making all that racket (it's not that loud, it's just about 24dB above advertised 0dB!! And to confirm 101%, I can shine a torch through the grate and see the fan whizzing. The voltage read on it reads 12.39v. In case that is useful in my diagnosis somehow! Is there perhaps something I might need to do in the BIOS in order to give it control of it's fan? I seriously doubt it, but it's worth asking!
 
Well I sent it back to quietpc.com and they told me it was faulty, expecting the replacement on Monday...
 
Back
Top