NES Returns!

To customize roms on it you want Hakchi2.

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases

How it’s working?
You don’t need to worry about it. But if you really want to know it’s using FEL mode. FEL is a low-level subroutine contained in the BootROM on Allwinner devices. It is used for initial programming and recovery of devices using USB. So we can upload some code into RAM and execute it. In this way we can read Linux kernel (yes, NES Mini runs on Linux), write kernel or execute kernel from memory without writing it to flash. So we can dump kernel image of NES Mini, unpack it, add some games and script which will copy them to flash, repack, upload and execute. But games directory is on read only partition. So we need also to create and flash custom kernel with special script that creates sandbox folder on writable partition and mounts it over original games folder. So your original files are safe. You can’t delete or harm original files in any way. For kernel patching my application just executing other applications, that’s why there is “tools” folder.

Keep in mind there is rom engine compatibility issues.The NES classic can safely hold up to around 80 total games, but more than that may cause issues with memory limitations due to cover art. Can you create simple low res cover art to get around this? I have no idea.

Last edited:
I was going to say, has everyone forgotten the Wii launch fiasco? Same launch window during the holiday season, same supply "shortage" that magically disappeared in March the following year. Coincidentally, Nintendo said that supply for the NES CE should "stabilize" after February.

Maybe I am just in a shitty market, but in my area, the Wii supply issues extended far beyond the March after release. At the time, I was working at Target, typically in electronics, so I was very aware of what the supply looked like. It took until after the second post-launch Holiday season (so, roughly a year and a half) before we'd be getting enough supply to keep them in stock regularly. I would say that the summer after launch, things were better, but neat great. In the initial launch window, we would typically get 1-3 consoles a week. The only time we'd see more is if they featured in the weekly ad, in which case they usually tried to get us 10ish consoles to stock when the ad started. Starting in spring, our supply increased a bit, typically 2-3 per delivery (3 deliveries a week). Even then, the people who got them were the people who knew what days we got shipments in. They sold fast. It was very rare to have a Wii sitting on the shelf overnight. As we came into the second holiday, supply increased, but so did demand. They were still frequently sold out. After Christmas though, the number of units being sold dropped drastically and we reached a point where there was always systems on the shelf.

I do believe that Nintendo was partially responsible for this. In all honesty, the console did sell very well, probably better than expected. My speculation is that Nintendo didn't specifically plan the supply issues, but also didn't take steps to increase production. Keeping production at a steady pace, knowing you will turn around every single unit you produce very quickly, it's smart. Not ideal for us consumers when we want something and cannot buy it, but still smart.

I think the same thing happened here. This NES thing is a gimmick appealing to nostalgia. It's a tough call as to how many units can be sold on nostalgia alone. And while this is a lot less expensive to manufacture than a console, the premise holds true. Better to have supply issues, with a demand that meets or exceeds manufacturing potential, than to have excess, unsold units. We'll see it again with the Switch, also. To much skepticism surrounding it to go HAM on production capabilities right out of the gate.

Rumor on NEOGAF that NES Classic production is ending. Nintendo came out and says production is not ending. Based on history this means production is ending.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

oh failtendo....

this is why you are playing second fiddle to an orchestra you made popular.

hurry up and fade away.

That'd be a nasty rumour if true. Basically means that the NES Classic was just a quick cash grab over the holiday season. It's kinda brilliant, I guess, but super smarmy.

I was able to get one recently....I hooked it up, played a little mega man 2, and then disconnected it. I guess it's cool, but I realized I just don't care about most of the games on it (right now). Nice to have for collection's sake, though.

I was able to get one recently....I hooked it up, played a little mega man 2, and then disconnected it. I guess it's cool, but I realized I just don't care about most of the games on it (right now). Nice to have for collection's sake, though.

Yar, that's true. I loved Mega Man 2 as a kid but I bet if I played it now - I'd quickly realize that it was nostalgia holding up that gameplay for me.

Except for Mega Man 2's music. That shit would still rock today.

That'd be a nasty rumour if true. Basically means that the NES Classic was just a quick cash grab over the holiday season. It's kinda brilliant, I guess, but super smarmy.
Honestly they probably didn't think it would be so popular so they made limited quantities. It might not be worth it to then to start up production for another batch. It is hard to gauge market on niche stuff like this.

Honestly they probably didn't think it would be so popular so they made limited quantities. It might not be worth it to then to start up production for another batch. It is hard to gauge market on niche stuff like this.

I wonder how much these things cost to manufacture. They could release a new version each holiday season (mini-SNES for holiday 2017), advertise it as a limited edition release, and plump up their quarterly profits. It'd be similar to what Disney does with their 'Masterpiece' releases.

I wonder how much these things cost to manufacture. They could release a new version each holiday season (mini-SNES for holiday 2017), advertise it as a limited edition release, and plump up their quarterly profits. It'd be similar to what Disney does with their 'Masterpiece' releases.
I don't think the hardware cost is the main factor. The license fees they have to pay out for the games. They might of only bought a certain amount of licences and giving how successful the NES classic they might want more for each license.

Back