NES Returns!

You tend to get that way when you've gotten used to using a super high build quality made-in-Japan controller for the last 20 years then some kid on the internet says the new cheaper ones made in China are an exact replica. It's horse shit.

Considering this is REAL Nintendo brand stuff though, I wouldn't panic just yet about quality.

You tend to get that way when you've gotten used to using a super high build quality made-in-Japan controller for the last 20 years then some kid on the internet says the new cheaper ones made in China are an exact replica. It's horse shit.

Okay, but I also think everyone with half a brain understood what I meant. Nintendo produces a lot (if not all) of their hardware in china now, and the build quality is still fine. See the Wii U pro controller, as an example. Also, I'm over 30, not sure that exactly qualifies as "kid," unless you're late 50's or older.

I wonder if they'll have the classic games of "The power light is blinking", "Take the cart out and blow on the connectors...then blow inside the system", and "After you press the game down, wiggle the cart until it properly registers and loads the cart".

I wonder if they'll have the classic games of "The power light is blinking", "Take the cart out and blow on the connectors...then blow inside the system", and "After you press the game down, wiggle the cart until it properly registers and loads the cart".

No, they won't. :)

the controller in the box has SUCH a short cord... who the hell designed that?

Yeah, back on page one zaxour posted something about Bob Mackey at USGamer and some of his complaints, which included the controller being wired and short. I brushed that off, along with his other nitpicks (which I still don't think are a big deal), but now that I've seen Lamarr Wilson's video I definitely do not like how short those wires are! It looks like there's no way to have this unit sit on a shelf and still have you play at a comfortable distance from your TV. You'll either have to go wireless (with a third party controller), find some sort of extension cable (I'm sure somebody will make one), or have your console sit half way across your floor, so the added length of the HDMI and power cable can allow you to sit further back.

Who approved this length?

So what's the best way to get one of these tomorrow? Stand outside best buy, you think they'll have stock?

So what's the best way to get one of these tomorrow? Stand outside best buy, you think they'll have stock?
They were already all sold out by 09:00 where I live. And there are listings on eBay going upward of $500!

It would have been a nice novelty at $60, but I'm not going to stress over an official machine when I can play every NES game to my heart's content on my PC with 1:1 pixel scaling and near-perfect emulation.

They were already all sold out by 09:00 where I live. And there are listings on eBay going upward of $500!

It would have been a nice novelty at $60, but I'm not going to stress over an official machine when I can play every NES game to my heart's content on my PC with 1:1 pixel scaling and near-perfect emulation.

Typical Nintendo horseshit.

The target here got 3...3! They have intentionally created a shorted like every other product. I'm so close to a lifetime boycott, they are turning into one of the worst gaming companies out there.

i ordered one online at familyvideo.com at 930 am. sold out everywhere else

Back in my newbie state of madness as a kid, I was trying to play Mario 3 for the first time. Of course I got into the habit of quickly power on/off to try and force the cartridge to work. Well unbeknownst to me that the first image you see on the boot up screen for Mario 3 is the drapery and ground....for a long while I kept thinking that the cartridge was still dirty and tried to clean that sucker out until I was almost at wits-end, then on the final last ditch effort, I turned it on, back to that stupid corrupt image (drapes/stage), and watched the curtains roll up and the game booted....yeah, that was me!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No Contra, no Metal Gear, no sale. It doesn't even have the original Mike Tyson's Punchout :(

I managed to get two, and flipped one to pay for the other and net a tidy little profit. I'm having a freaking blast with it and Nintendo are idiots if they don't do this again for the next two years with the SNES and N64. Supposedly restocks are incoming over the next few weeks, I have a number of people having me keep a lookout for them.

I will say they should have bumped the price another ten bucks to make wireless controllers standard. That was an idiotic decision...

So apparently Nintendo has only, up to this point, manufactured 196,000 units! Purposely limited stock, or just incompetence?

To drive up interest. Purposely creating a shortage is a common marketing tactic.
I think this is a fallacy that is only something fun to talk about on Internet forums. What is the point of "driving up interest" if shelves are bare? Shelves being bare is probably one of the worst things you can do in retail.

I think what's more likely is that Nintendo underestimated the popularity of the system. By the time they realized it was going to sell like crazy it was too late. They can't just click a magic button to make more units because there is a lot of moving parts in a supply chain.

And they have no idea how popular it's going to be after the holiday's so that is probably also part of possible hesitation to make more units, they also don't want the product overflowing. Overflowing of physical goods is almost as bad as not having any. That's why so many physical games and items hit the discount bin so quickly and why digital pricing is much more stable.

Suggested reading: Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle That Defined a Generation

Nintendo has been purposely creating shortages since the NES days. Whether or not that still applies, as if it's just that this is just a bit more popular than they were expecting, I can't give you an answer on, as I honestly just don't know. It's just that historically, they have done this, and it's not just a fallacy that's talked about on Internet Forums.

They would have easily sold 1-2 million of these things if they'd had the stock.

Scarcity marketing works for some products, but not for glorified stocking stuffers.

I think this is a fallacy that is only something fun to talk about on Internet forums. What is the point of "driving up interest" if shelves are bare? Shelves being bare is probably one of the worst things you can do in retail.

Nintendo is a retail company. If it's internet forum gossip, then please explain the scarcity and also clarify your supply chain credentials.

This is 100% commodity hardware, every single inch. Nintendo could stamp out 100,000 of these per day if the wanted too. This is intentional supply shortage, something nintendo has done repeatedly since they figured out it would drive sales with the Wii.

Nintendo is a retail company. If it's internet forum gossip, then please explain the scarcity and also clarify your supply chain credentials.

This is 100% commodity hardware, every single inch. Nintendo could stamp out 100,000 of these per day if the wanted too. This is intentional supply shortage, something nintendo has done repeatedly since they figured out it would drive sales with the Wii.
I was going to say, has everyone forgotten the Wii launch fiasco? Same launch window during the holiday season, same supply "shortage" that magically disappeared in March the following year. Coincidentally, Nintendo said that supply for the NES CE should "stabilize" after February.

I was going to say, has everyone forgotten the Wii launch fiasco? Same launch window during the holiday season, same supply "shortage" that magically disappeared in March the following year. Coincidentally, Nintendo said that supply for the NES CE should "stabilize" after February.

Or they'll just stop making it.

If they are really purposely creating shortages, why end it at all and not forever have shortages?

None of this makes any sense.

Anyone else experience severe input lag? Yes, I set the tv to game mode, just played a real NES on a CRT to compare and it's night and day... *bummer*

to bad, it was a nice idea from Nintendo and I even considered getting one before all this supply nonsense. Ended up going with a cheap android box and xbox 360 controller and im glad I did been playing tons of nes, snes and n64 with my family as well as replaying old PlayStation games, also discovered the app for streaming both my ps4 and pc games lol. Nintendo really dropped the ball, but on the plus side created a nice market for android and rasberry pi gaming boxes lol

Anyone else experience severe input lag? Yes, I set the tv to game mode, just played a real NES on a CRT to compare and it's night and day... *bummer*
Were you not expecting this? You're lucky to get around 30ms of input lag on a LCD TV, while a CRT has virtually no lag at all.

I was just surprised it felt so different and made the faster games so much harder to play, and I suspect it is something from the NES Classic itself as other consoles on the LCD don't feel so laggy... but of course I'm so used to playing these games on CRT so maybe that's all it is and newer games are just designed to take monitor lag into consideration

Back