• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nero Backitup Problem

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
493
I've been using Nero Backitup for doing backups to my external hard drive. I recently reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows and now I'm getting around to recovering some of my data. I tested the backup before I reformatted and it appeared to work.

I'm trying to restore, but I'm getting a problem. It is something to do with long file names. When I continue on, it is unable to restore any files. Is there a solution for this problem, or
another way to restore these files.



I was a little cautious and copied my documents folder and mozilla stuff to a drive I didn't reformat. So I still have internet and email stuff and my documents folder, but there was some other stuff I only backed up on the external drive. I have access to a corporate edition of ghost. I wonder if I try doing backups with that in the future?
 
Does anyone have any ideas? I've checked nero's site and they don't have much information. I haven't found much information anywhere else either.
 
I've continued my own research and found that I can restore these files. Unfortunately, it is only one file at a time. I don't understand why a restore with backitup won't work. All my backups worked okay before this reinstall. This long file name issue is a real pain. Even my older backups don't work. I wish I wouldn't have had backitup do compression. That would have made recovering these easier.
 
Hey man, I read your post.

I had this problem, the problem is that the total file path exceeds 255 characters (the top under NTFS).

For example, if you are restoring the folder that was originally in c:\documents and setting\user\local configuration\ ETC and all that was 250 characters and you restore it to c:\restore, it'll total 257 characters, that's why the error message.

Hope you can still use this info, good luck, Juan I.
 
Back
Top