Nero Backitup Problem

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I've been using Nero Backitup for doing backups to my external hard drive. I recently reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows and now I'm getting around to recovering some of my data. I tested the backup before I reformatted and it appeared to work.

I'm trying to restore, but I'm getting a problem. It is something to do with long file names. When I continue on, it is unable to restore any files. Is there a solution for this problem, or
another way to restore these files.

I was a little cautious and copied my documents folder and mozilla stuff to a drive I didn't reformat. So I still have internet and email stuff and my documents folder, but there was some other stuff I only backed up on the external drive. I have access to a corporate edition of ghost. I wonder if I try doing backups with that in the future?

Does anyone have any ideas? I've checked nero's site and they don't have much information. I haven't found much information anywhere else either.

I've continued my own research and found that I can restore these files. Unfortunately, it is only one file at a time. I don't understand why a restore with backitup won't work. All my backups worked okay before this reinstall. This long file name issue is a real pain. Even my older backups don't work. I wish I wouldn't have had backitup do compression. That would have made recovering these easier.

Hey man, I read your post.

I had this problem, the problem is that the total file path exceeds 255 characters (the top under NTFS).

For example, if you are restoring the folder that was originally in c:\documents and setting\user\local configuration\ ETC and all that was 250 characters and you restore it to c:\restore, it'll total 257 characters, that's why the error message.

Hope you can still use this info, good luck, Juan I.

Back