Nerd Hot! The Art of Computer Programming vol 1-4: $155

odoe

[H]F Junkie
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this good for a novice like myself or do I need prior knowledge of coding?

A quote from the preface of the first volume:

The following chapters are not meant to serve as an introduction to computer programming; the reader is supposed to have some previous experience. The prerequisites are actually very simple, but a beginner requires time and practice in order to understand the concept of a digital computer. The reader should posses:

a) Some idea of how a stored program digital computer works; not necessarily the electronics, rather the manner in which instructions can be kept in the machine's memory and successively executed.

b) An ability to put the solutions to problems into such explicit terms that a computer can "understand" them. (These machines have no common sense; they do exactly as they are told, no more and no less. This fact is the hardest concept to grasp when one first tries to use a computer.)

c) Some knowledge of the most elementary computer techniques, such as looping (performing a set of instructions repeatedly), the use of subroutines, and the use of indexed variables.

d) A little knowledge of common computer jargon--"memory," "registers," "bits," "floating point," "overflow," "software." Most words not defined in the text are given brief definitions in the index at the close of each volume.

These four prerequisites can perhaps be summed up into the single requirement that the reader should have already written and tested at least, say, four programs for at least one computer.

Basically, this translates to moderate self-study, or perhaps first semester computer science curricula. An introduction to programming and introductory computer architecture course covers all of this. I really wish I could afford these right now. For the next year or two, however, I'll probably just have to keep pulling them off the shelf of my university library.

Is this good for a novice like myself or do I need prior knowledge of coding?

The treatment of the topics here is very detailed and probably not suited for someone new to the computer programming. It is like an encyclopedia and the examples are in a low level language which introduced a lot of detail. It is meant for a serious study of the subject of computer science.

For most people, there are much more modern texts available which are more relevant to the 21st century.

This has been on my Amazon wishlist for a while.

I need to set an alert or something, it keeps going on sale when I've already spent my blow money for the budget.

Do they monitor the prices or something? Already showing $180 same day.

If you're the type that loves to study theory and proofs, these books are great. Definitely some of the best out there even.

If, however, you're really into the application of computer science theory, you're almost certainly going to find the texts a bit dry and you're better off with textbooks that focus on higher-level languages.

Last edited:
These books are great for improving your "toolbox" as a computer scientist or programmer. The algorithms and data structures that you use to solve problems and create applications.

This set has more information, presented more elegantly, than my data structures, discrete math, algorithms, and formal languages/automata textbooks combined.

Do they monitor the prices or something? Already showing $180 same day.

Amazon can auto adjust prices so that popular items get jacked up in price sometimes.

That being said, I bought the first 3 used for very cheap. There's a set on ebay right like $50 and that's probably on the highend. So I'm not sure if this a super hot deal unless you need brand new copies.

Back