Need x99 mobo suggestions

vabch22

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

My x58 board has had a good long life and I am finally looking to redo the system. I would like to grab an x99 board that has had a 2016 refresh. I would like to stay below $300 for the board. I don't care about wifi, lights, or shiny things. I just want reliable components for OC'ing, functional layout, and long life. From the forums it seems some of the mobo manufactures that were making great boards years ago now have quality control issues. I am looking for some suggestions on reliable boards that have been rock solid in your testing.

Thanks!

this has wifi, but obviously optional and no annoying shiny lights. Also has dual Intel LAN, good power circuitry, great m.2 placement at the bottom of the board, and is the latest model for Asrock as part of the x99 refresh. Plus for $219 it's hard to beat

ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com

You could also buy the big brother version if you want a black / red scheme along with on-board power and reset buttons with an extra internal front usb3 port, plus the SB Cinema audio software.

ASRock X99 Prof Gaming i7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Thank you. Yea, that is what I was eyeballing (the Taichi) but wanted to get some feelers before dropping the cash. Everything I have read gives it high marks in options/quality for the price.

I have this one. I'm very happy with it, although I haven't tried to overclock on it yet.
MSI MSI Gaming X99A GAMING 7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I also have one of these, and would not recommend it.
Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I actually like the hardware and layout of the Gigabyte board a little better than the MSI one, but Gigabyte's BIOSes are atrocious, and it was hell getting the Gigabyte board to work reliably. There's a revised version that [H] seemed to think was OK, but I'd go with anything other than Gigabyte at this point. Those ASrock boards that dmoney posted look like a pretty good deal, feature-wise.

MSI is one of the boards I was thinking about, but then saw some posts about quality control. Maybe that has been fixed or was it a certain series/lineup?

The only thing that worries me about the ASRock is the 1 yr warranty while most other manf. are 3 years. But the feature set for price does look good.

Edit: Emailed ASRock and they said the 1 year warranty is changing to 3 years. I will give them a shot. Thanks all.

Last edited:
MSI is one of the boards I was thinking about, but then saw some posts about quality control. Maybe that has been fixed or was it a certain series/lineup?

The only thing that worries me about the ASRock is the 1 yr warranty while most other manf. are 3 years. But the feature set for price does look good.

Edit: Emailed ASRock and they said the 1 year warranty is changing to 3 years. I will give them a shot. Thanks all.

nice! Please report back on your experience with the board

Good one! Yea, keep us updated. Was looking at that board myself as well.

That Asrock Taichi board looks like a clear winner especially at that price!

I run a Asus X99-A myself, a fairly basic yet solid option. My only two minor problems with the board, the cpu header not reading the correct rpm of the pump I use and the other related to running a 100 strap at high DRAM speeds, have been fixed in the latest bios updates.

Sorry for the update, been busy at work. I am still building out the system as deals come up trying to save a few bucks. I ended up getting the Prof Gaming version as the Taichi was not available at the time (10% back ebay bucks from Newegg store). Just picked up the RD400 512GB drive and RAM. Only thing left is the CPU once I make a decision.

Back