Need to upgrade a few parts

I'm on my laptop for work related tasks mostly but when I get the occasional urge for some WoW I get on the PC and grind away. Only one problem, it's starting to shut off randomly due to the gpu (8800gt) overheating. I don't have the best air flow setup in the world and it doesn't help that it's a matx mobo in a mini tower case. So I'm looking to upgrade from a C2D E6600 and would like to find an regular sized ATX mobo and a mid tower ATX case. I don't do much to strain the E6600 but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the CPU as well so I was doing some research and the X3 720 is just too sweet of a deal to pass up.

I've narrowed it down to the X3 for the CPU and just need a recommendation for a barebones, stable ATX mobo. I have no experience with AMD whatsoever so I'm lost in that department. For the case I don't care how loud or quiet it'll be but I'd like a lot of fans and a lot of air.

The GPU is one hot (expletive) but I'd like to keep that as well and I believe with proper air flow it'll be fine. I'll also be carrying over the ram (2x2gb Ballistix DDR2 800), the PSU (Corsair VX550 or maybe VX520 not sure), the hd (1.5tb Seagate), and the optical drives (1x ide and 1x sata).

I'll mostly be using it as a WoW and moderate gaming computer no Crysis or anything really taxing. As far as pricing is concerned I'd like to keep it under $300 shipped including tax if possible. I don't live near any Frys or MC so it'll all have to come from e-tailers.

Hope I didn't leave any details out but do let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks for any help/feedback.

Last edited:
I just got a gigabyte ma790x-ud4p

I haven't ever seen voltages this stable from the moment I started building computers, since the 90's.

they don't move, I am also currently typing this with my processor undervolted all to hell and no fans on in the case other than the one on the GPU. Never could do that with this proc either.

The Gigabyte does look tempting and there doesn't seem to be very many options with native Phenom II support. I don't have another AMD cpu to flash the BIOS.

So you need a mobo and case for $300 right?

Oh you might want to check out this combo deal:
$159 - AMD Phenom II X3 710 CPU + ASUS M3A76-CM AMD 760G mATX Motherboard Combo

As for a case, some recommendations:
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 332 RC-332-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$45 - Cooler Master Elite 334 RC-334-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 331 RC-331-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z ATX Case
$60 - Antec 300 ATX Case
$65 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master Sileo 500 RC-500-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K1B ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$90 - AeroCool Masstige ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-K6 ATX Case
$110 - Thermaltake ElementS VK60001N2Z ATX Case
$145 - Antec P182 ATX Case
$150 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Antec P183 ATX Case

The Gigabyte does look tempting and there doesn't seem to be very many options with native Phenom II support. I don't have another AMD cpu to flash the BIOS.

even though a lot of boards dont show native support for phenom II.. most boards will boot up with a phenom II in it.. they just wont recognize the chip correctly and might set the voltage wrong which you can usually change your self in the bios.. then just update after..

So you need a mobo and case for $300 right?

Oh you might want to check out this combo deal:
$159 - AMD Phenom II X3 710 CPU + ASUS M3A76-CM AMD 760G mATX Motherboard Combo

As for a case, some recommendations:
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 332 RC-332-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$45 - Cooler Master Elite 334 RC-334-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 331 RC-331-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z ATX Case
$60 - Antec 300 ATX Case
$65 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master Sileo 500 RC-500-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K1B ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$90 - AeroCool Masstige ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-K6 ATX Case
$110 - Thermaltake ElementS VK60001N2Z ATX Case
$145 - Antec P182 ATX Case
$150 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Antec P183 ATX Case

Ha, that $300 needs to encompass a mobo, a case, and a cpu. If it was just a mobo and case I'd knock it down to $200. Also, I'd rather not deal with mATX mobos anymore as I've had problems with them and the length of today's video cards. Nice breakdown of cases though, thanks.

even though a lot of boards dont show native support for phenom II.. most boards will boot up with a phenom II in it.. they just wont recognize the chip correctly and might set the voltage wrong which you can usually change your self in the bios.. then just update after..

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Wow awesome combo, exactly what I was looking for and I'll have plenty of room for a case. Thank you good sir.

Wow awesome combo, exactly what I was looking for and I'll have plenty of room for a case. Thank you good sir.

No prob. Just post a final build list before you buy and we'll make sure everything is gravy.

Back