• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need to replace my 8800GT

merc141

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
194
Wanted to upgrade my current 8800GT to something that will last through the lifetime of this system. My primary concerns are that I don't want to replace my power supply or break my bank. About <$200 or so, I was also wondering if now was a good time to get a card or if I should wait and see if I can save some money.

Q6600
4GB GSkill
Corsair 520HX 520W
Abit IP35V P35

I was looking at the 5770 and 5830, I am not sure how those 2 compare with each other performance wise. BTW I am at 1680x1050
 
Might wanna also consider a used 4890 from the FS/FT forum here.
You should be able to find one for about the price of a 5770 and it'll perform about the same as a 5830.
You'd only miss out DX11 and probably lower power draw.

Edit:
Oh and all three should work fine with your PSU.
I ran my 4890 with a 550w Antec.
 
Im pretty much in the same boat, 4gb q6600 and i just went for the 5830 that ClearM4 linked, figured the 5770 wasnt enough of an upgrade for me to warrent the cost,and the 5850 for 310+ is too much for me.
 
Might wanna also consider a used 4890 from the FS/FT forum here.
You should be able to find one for about the price of a 5770 and it'll perform about the same as a 5830.
You'd only miss out DX11 and probably lower power draw.

He would also miss out on the warranty if he was to buy the card used. Unless it was a XFX card though.
 
Back
Top