Need to recover admin password

jervonics

Limp Gawd
Ok< here is a new one for your wise minds...
I need to repair Windows XP Pro on my lady's Dual Linux/XP pro system. It was working fine, then turned it on and was told that the windows system 32 file was corrupted and I needed to do a repair. I got out the old install disc and got stuck. Needed admin password to continue. Here is the Rub. The system was set up by her ex husband. He is a dillweed and refuses to give up the password. is there anyway to go into the windows files and track it down? or I am just going to have to reinstall windows all together? If so, does anyone have a link to a good site that will show me how to reinstall windows, without deleting the Linux that is already up and running. I wouldn't mind trying to redo the Linux, but i have no experience with installing a linux system, and I don't think I could manage without screwing something up. it is "Ubuntu". I have installed windows several times and thats no problem, I am just confused on the whole partition thing. Don't know which OS is which since I did not set it up originally.
thanks for your knowledge...........

This is an older tool (had to hit Google to remember the specific name for it) that I've used in the past (I have much better "stuff" now, however) to reset the XP Admin password. Use it to create the tool, burn it to a CD - I suggest you get a CDRW so it's useful again afterward, I recommend everyone have a few CDRWs around - and then boot from it. Follow the prompts and it'll reset the Admin password as required.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Ultimate Boot CD also has a password recovery option built into the Parted Magic Desktop, which also does some other neat things. I've used it several times on XP->7 machines.

UBCD is your best, easiest option here, since it has the password reset built into Parted Magic, along with several other useful utilities.

ok, got the password cracker downloaded but NOW, the Linux system is not recognizing the DVD drive. When I open up the image burner, it tells me NO OPTICAL DRIVE FOUND.
It won't play DVD's either. Anyone know how to make a linux system find the optical drive?
The weird things is, it works on the windows side, I used it for gaming before it went down this morning......
it is like peeling an onion, each layer I get through, I just cry harder.......

Might need to mount the optical drive in Ubuntu. I'll let someone else answer that one as I am not a big fan of Linux in the first place...

I say follow one of the many tutorials to make UCBD into a bootable flash drive.
Then, boot of of the flash drive and do your thing

D.

somehow i got it working, so thanks for all the info, as usual you guys come shining through for us noobs.
have a great holiday season all!!!

Hiren's eh... hrmmm... uhmmm... that's a very well known item that's full of commercial software that it ain't licensed for... aka *cough*warez*cough* :eek:

There's free solutions for the resetting of the Admin password on Windows, some of them have already been mentioned.

Back