Need to build a machine for mom (she want's something to make movies with)

Sadude

Limp Gawd
I need your wisdom.

I'm going with the following:

O/S: Win 74 64
Hard drives: 1. SSD as a primary O/S boot device 80gig plus (not sure what brand/type is best)
2. Storage device 500gb - 1TB whatever I can find for the best price.

DVD-R/RW

Processor: no idea/need advice
Memory: as much as is possible needed for her task at hand.

Motherboard: onboard LAN and Sound is required.

Case: Midrange case with good cooling. (Nothing too LARGE)

She's running some sort of Adobe video editing program and another one that I don't have a name for. Don't bother recommending a prebuilt DELL or other store bought machine. We haven't bought a store machine in well over 20 years. We like to build our own systems and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

I need your wisdom.

I'm going with the following:

O/S: Win 74 64
Hard drives: 1. SSD as a primary O/S boot device 80gig plus (not sure what brand/type is best)
2. Storage device 500gb - 1TB whatever I can find for the best price.

DVD-R/RW

Processor: no idea/need advice
Memory: as much as is possible needed for her task at hand.

Motherboard: onboard LAN and Sound is required.

Case: Midrange case with good cooling. (Nothing too LARGE)

She's running some sort of Adobe video editing program and another one that I don't have a name for. Don't bother recommending a prebuilt DELL or other store bought machine. We haven't bought a store machine in well over 20 years. We like to build our own systems and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

She would most likely be running the latest version of Premiere Elements, a $100 program. In that case, and if she's only going to be doing standard-definition (480i) videos, then she does not need a high-end CPU or GPU at all since Premiere Elements does not take anywhere near full advantage of a modern system (that program is strictly 32-bit and offers absolutely no GPU acceleration features whatsoever). But if she's going to be doing high-definition videos (especially from AVCHD sources), then she will need a more robust CPU such as a quad-core i5-2400.

She would most likely be running the latest version of Premiere Elements, a $100 program. In that case, and if she's only going to be doing standard-definition (480i) videos, then she does not need a high-end CPU or GPU at all since Premiere Elements does not take anywhere near full advantage of a modern system (that program is strictly 32-bit and offers absolutely no GPU acceleration features whatsoever). But if she's going to be doing high-definition videos (especially from AVCHD sources), then she will need a more robust CPU such as a quad-core i5-2400.

I forgot to mention that she does have an HD video camera and she will be working on HD Videos.

Price is not an issue, but we don't want to break the bank either.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc: Video Editting
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $1000 - $1500
3) Where do you live? Miami, FL
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, Case, 2 HD's one SSD for OS and a Storage Drive, Video Card, MoBo with onboard sound/ethernet
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking? NO
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 17 - 21 Probably 21
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc. USB, SATA, Onboard Sound and Ethernet, Firewire
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? No, we'll need Windows 7 64

I just built my GF a fast little pc for gaming/music/movies that would suit your mom nicely
Pentium G620 sandy bridge duel,Gigabyte H61M motherboard, 4GB of G-Skill Ripjaw@1600Mhz
Geforce GT 210 videocard, reused my OCZ 700 watt power supply, and she picked some fancy looking case that is trash lol. As for SSD /storage drive recommendations, crutial M4 for SSD, and WD green for storage, also like to note this rig is silent unless you remove the case side panel, and pulls under 150 watts from the wall when in use.

Also what program would you all recommend for Video Editing. She's willing to consider something other than Adobe Premier

< $1500 Here. Should more than do the trick. i7 2600, 16gb ram, etc.
NeweggcomShoppingCart.png

I hope this image is legible.

I forgot to mention that she does have an HD video camera and she will be working on HD Videos.

Price is not an issue, but we don't want to break the bank either.

In that case, and the other alternatives on the $100 program front are Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 and Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate (plus maybe some lesser-known programs from a few other companies), a lower-end quad-core i5 CPU such as a Sandy Bridge i5-2400 on an H67 motherboard will do just fine for her purpose. And since none of those programs support GPU acceleration (you'd have to spend more than $500 on a prosumer editing program just to get GPU accelerated features at all). the i5-2400's integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 would suffice, especially with Intel's QuickSync plugin (which may or may not be available for all editing programs).

And since DDR3 RAM is so cheap anyway, go with 8GB of RAM for that build.

P.S.: Since your budget for a complete build is now $1000 to $1500, you might as well go for an i7-2600K CPU with a P67 or Z68 motherboard and a GeForce GT 440 or a GTX 550 Ti and 16GB of system RAM for that build. Also, spend the extra $100 for a Blu-ray burner if the final output disc is going to be in HD rather than downconverted to 480i SD.

Last edited:
$440 - Intel Core i7 2600K + MSI Z68MA-ED55 Intel Z68 mATX Motherboard Combo
$100 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$87 - Gigabyte GV-N440D3-1GI GeForce GT 440 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$219 - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SSD
$60 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$94 - Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive + Samsung CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB Combo
$70 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU
----
Total: $1070 plus tax and shipping.

Choose your own case. I recommend the following:
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$60 - NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX Case
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$113 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$110 - Fractal Design Arc Mini Tower
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$143 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$150 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back