Need suggestions on laptop...Lenovo Y560 i7

impuLsive

Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6848&cm_re=lenovo_y560-_-34-146-848-_-Product

I am currently considering to purchase this laptop but need comments and/or suggestions on it.

I plan on mostly playing Counter-Strike Source on it and doing school work and regular web browsing work on it - Nothing too big. I do not need to carry it around since it will usually be at my house and no where else.

What are your comments? Go for it?

Common forum courtesy is to wait 6 hours between bumps. And I've moved this thread to the correct subforum

How good will this laptop handle counter-strike source to the guy above? This deal looks amazing!!!

Last edited:
People are saying that deal posted above (the laptop its self) is not a gaming laptop. Any suggestions or comments on that?

People are saying that deal posted above (the laptop its self) is not a gaming laptop. Any suggestions or comments on that?

Well what exactly are they pointing out that laptop isn't good for gaming with CS:S? It doesn't take much to run that particular game.

It isn't a "gaming laptop" but it will perform pretty well in most games. CS:S will run perfectly.

Thanks - someone told me the gpu was a bottleneck cause the ram is ddr5 but the gpu likes ddr3 only or something along those lines. Is this true? If so what are the disadvantages to it?

What laptop cooling pad do you recommend?

Thanks - someone told me the gpu was a bottleneck cause the ram is ddr5 but the gpu likes ddr3 only or something along those lines.
That whole sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Just post what they said.

"IMHO, the 555M is DDR3, which is not great for games at high settings as it'll bottleneck, but it should be suitable for CS at low to medium."

I went with the 550M instead of the 555M because it was $150 more but I still dont get what he was trying to say.

"IMHO, the 555M is DDR3, which is not great for games at high settings as it'll bottleneck, but it should be suitable for CS at low to medium."

I went with the 550M instead of the 555M because it was $150 more but I still dont get what he was trying to say.

He's talking about the RAM type of the video card. Generally, most good video cards uses the faster GDDR RAM. However many low-end cards uses the slower DDR RAM. So yes, the person who wrote that was right in that the GT 555M and, by extension, the GT 550M will be slow for modern games at high resolutions. But if all you're playing is CS:S, you'll be fine.

However I can't say the Lenovo would be any better since Lenovo doesn't state if that HD 5730 uses GDDR3 or DDR3 as that card comes in both forms.

Thanks for the help. Either way, I ordered the XPS 17 with the i7 and 550M. Should run CSS fine as you say.

What games would you say it wont be able to handle? More of the newer games like Crysis or? I dont plan on playing the newest games out but I am curious what the laptop can and can not handle.

Back