• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need suggestions for new build

dfresh12

n00b
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
12
I am building a new computer from scratch for the first time. I am pretty much set on the i5 2500k unless someone has a good reason for another one. here's the answers to the questions

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (SC2), some video editing, music editing (logic, protools)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
about $400. I already have $200 in bestbuy cards to buy the i5
3) Where do you live?
Eastern North Carolina
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
RAM, Power supply, graphics card, motherboard, harddrive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Already have an antec 600. got it for $40
6) Will you be overclocking?
Eventually will.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Right now 1 22" plan on getting a second
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
the next month unless there is something really good I should hold out for
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
dont need anything
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
going to run osx and probally xp
 
Have you researched prices? I ask because if you insist on buying the i5-2500k from Best Buy and trying to get everything else under $600, it's not going to be pretty:

$230 - Intel Core i5 2500k (from Best Buy)
$125 - MSI P67A-C43
$40 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM
$55 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB HDD
$45 - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D 430W PSU
$115 - Powercolor PCS+ AX5770 1GBD5-PPG Radeon HD 5770
=====
$610 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

Your processor and motherboard alone takes up over half of your budget, and a decent video card like the Radeon HD 5770 costs at least $120 (with shipping factored in). And you can't really cut corners too far with the other components since you'll want enough RAM and storage space for your video editing, plus you'll want a power supply that can handle the load.

Given the parts that you need, and assuming that you want a video card that can give you some good performance in SC2, you need to consider going with an AMD quad-core for this build. (You can divert the gift card money towards the video card, if you like.)

$200 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 & Biostar TA880GB+ combo
$40 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM
$55 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB HDD
$80 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA-650 650W PSU
$200 - VisionTek Radeon HD 6850 (from Best Buy)
=====
$575 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

You get a better bang for your buck for $600 if you go with AMD instead of Intel. Plus, if you order everything by tomorrow, you can save an additional $25 off the processor and power supply via promotion codes. While you don't get the raw power of an Intel processor, you'll have more than enough power for your everyday tasks.
 
Last edited:
I have done the research and am willing to pay a tad more. However my main concern was getting a mysterious OS installed on it for Final Cut mainly and logic pro ( i have a macbook right now which I am going to most likely sell afterwards). And as far as I know osx only supports intel
 
Last edited:
I have done the research and am willing to pay a tad more. However my main concern was getting Mac OSX installed on it for Final Cut mainly and logic pro ( i have a macbook right now which I am going to most likely sell afterwards). And as far as I know osx only supports intel

Please refrain from further discussion of installing OSX on PC hardware as that is not allowed here on the forums.
 
Going the i5-2500k route leads to you having to decide on either spending more for the entire build or cutting corners on the rest of your parts to keep everything under $600.
 
Going the i5-2500k route leads to you having to decide on either spending more for the entire build or cutting corners on the rest of your parts to keep everything under $600.

He did say that he was willing to pay more for that Intel build.
 
I guess that the better question for me to ask is: How much more are you, dfresh12, willing to spend on the rest of the parts for your machine?
 
probably up to 800 total at this point is fine. Eventually I will add 4 more gigs of ram and probably 2 more HDs once I get out for the semester and get a job so I want to make sure the psu can cover that extra
 
Are you ready to buy everything that you need now? If so, how much at most can you spend?
 
Don't forget a DVD drive (unless you plan on going without one.) I know it's only $18 but that wouldn't be a fun thing to forget after you have all your parts and you're ready to install.
 
Prelim build for now:
$230 - Core i5 2500K from BB
$133 - MSI P67A-C43 (B3) Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$220 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$19 - LG GH24NS50 DVD Burner
$90 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
---
Total: $798 plus tax and shipping

I included a new DVD burner since I'm assuming that the old DVD burner you have is IDE: Right now, not many socket LGA 1155 motherboards actually have a PATA port.
 
Prelim build for now:
$230 - Core i5 2500K from BB
$133 - MSI P67A-C43 (B3) Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$220 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$19 - LG GH24NS50 DVD Burner
$90 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
---
Total: $798 plus tax and shipping

I included a new DVD burner since I'm assuming that the old DVD burner you have is IDE: Right now, not many socket LGA 1155 motherboards actually have a PATA port.

That setup is a good starting point.

As for LGA 1155 motherboards with PATA ports, the only one that I know of that has one is the Asus P8P67-LE, the least expensive of the regular-ATX-size P8P67 series. All of the other P8P67 series mobos have no PATA ports at all. Nor do any of the Gigabyte, Intel or MSI P67 mobos, for that matter.
 
Prelim build for now:
$230 - Core i5 2500K from BB
$133 - MSI P67A-C43 (B3) Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$220 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$19 - LG GH24NS50 DVD Burner
$90 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
---
Total: $798 plus tax and shipping


I included a new DVD burner since I'm assuming that the old DVD burner you have is IDE: Right now, not many socket LGA 1155 motherboards actually have a PATA port.


I just checked it to make sure and it is a SATA not IDE. It's not to old, just a shitty dell desktop that we no longer use. Other that that it looks good. thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top