• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Suggestion

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
My rig is running hot. However my old pentium D rig is slowly fading, so I am planning to upgrade it by end of July. So this is what I am planning to buy


1) CPU: Intel Core I7 950

2) Mobo: ASUS P6T WS Revolution (I always consider for good OCing Mobos with good stability as big form factor)

3) RAM: 6GB DDR-3 1666Mhz (either G-Skill or Corsiar whichever yealds better perfomance)

4) HDD: WD 1TB Black with 32 MB buffer (Always love faster HDDs still find veleocity raptor and SSDs too expensive)

5) GPU: Either GTX 275 or HD4890 1GB version (Need suggestion from you guys)

6) PSU: Corsair TX 750 (Has corsair launched any modular PSU above 700 Watts?)

7) Display: Dell 2408 WFP

8) Casing: Antec P180 Black or CM 690 nVidia edition

9) Heat Sink: TRUE



What is your suggestion?

Its pretty surprising that 950 has been launched 2 weeks back and no user has posted its benchmarks on these threads
 
Last edited:
At clubnboc, we have a few users with 950s. One has it cooled with SS and has gotten over 5.1Ghz with it, and Ive seen other reports of 5.4Ghz.

One thing about the chip though, everyone I see doesnt do too well with turbo on for the 24x multi, so they keep it at 23x.

The P6T6 WS Revolution seems to be a great board imo. Ive seen some around 240BCLK.

For ram, maybe look in to the Super Talent 1800Mhz cas 7 chrome series. They have some great speed and timings for the cost.

As for the vid card, the ATI's prices are dropping like flies, so I say get a 4890, and xfire later on.

Now with all that power, I would suggest a Corsair 850w PSU at least. You can easily get 4.5Ghz from the 950 with decent cooling, and if you would xfire, you would need it.
The Corsair 750 is not modular, neither is the 850. If you want modular, the Corsair 1000w is.
 
1) CPU: Intel Core I7 950

2) Mobo: ASUS P6T WS Revolution (I always consider for good OCing Mobos with good stability as big form factor)

3) RAM: DDR-3 1666Mhz (either G-Skill or Corsiar whichever yealds better perfomance)

4) HDD: WD 1TB Black with 32 MB buffer (Always love faster HDDs still find veleocity raptor and SSDs too expensive)

5) GPU: Either GTX 275 or HD4890 1GB version (Need suggestion from you guys)

6) PSU: Corsair TX 750 (Has corsair launched any modular PSU above 700 Watts?)

7) Display: Dell 2408 WFP

8) Casing: Antec P180 Black or CM 690 nVidia edition

9) Heat Sink: TRUE

1. In terms of performance and price, I don't see a point in getting the 950. Get the i7 920 for about $280 and overclock it to 3.6GHz+

2. The P6T WS is a good motherboard. Some other good and stable choices are the EVGA Classified, ASUS P6T Deluxe, ASUS P6T, Gigabyte EX58-UD4P/UD5

3. Can't go wrong with most DDR3 1600 kits. I prefer the ones with lower voltages (~1.5v).

4. Good HDD

5. The 4890

6. Corsair recently released the HX850 which is a modular PSU with excellent efficiency.

7. You can find the HP LP2475w for less.

8. Both are good cases.

9. Excellent
 
1. In terms of performance and price, I don't see a point in getting the 950. Get the i7 920 for about $280 and overclock it to 3.6GHz+

2. The P6T WS is a good motherboard. Some other good and stable choices are the EVGA Classified, ASUS P6T Deluxe, ASUS P6T, Gigabyte EX58-UD4P/UD5

3. Can't go wrong with most DDR3 1600 kits. I prefer the ones with lower voltages (~1.5v).

4. Good HDD

5. The 4890

6. Corsair recently released the HX850 which is a modular PSU with excellent efficiency.

7. You can find the HP LP2475w for less.

8. Both are good cases.

9. Excellent

At clubnboc, we have a few users with 950s. One has it cooled with SS and has gotten over 5.1Ghz with it, and Ive seen other reports of 5.4Ghz.

One thing about the chip though, everyone I see doesnt do too well with turbo on for the 24x multi, so they keep it at 23x.

The P6T6 WS Revolution seems to be a great board imo. Ive seen some around 240BCLK.

For ram, maybe look in to the Super Talent 1800Mhz cas 7 chrome series. They have some great speed and timings for the cost.

As for the vid card, the ATI's prices are dropping like flies, so I say get a 4890, and xfire later on.

Now with all that power, I would suggest a Corsair 850w PSU at least. You can easily get 4.5Ghz from the 950 with decent cooling, and if you would xfire, you would need it.
The Corsair 750 is not modular, neither is the 850. If you want modular, the Corsair 1000w is.


Thanks for the suggestion guys. I still have time .I know i950 is overpriced. But I was under the impression that launch of Lynnfield and Intel Core i3 will result in some reduction of price of i950 by the end of july
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I still have time .I know i950 is overpriced. But I was under the impression that launch of Core i5 will result in some reduction of price of i950 by the end of july

I would expect it to be a small drop, however, if you are going for a max overclock, I consider the extra 2x multi worth it.

Didnt know there was an HX series 850w yet, good to know.
 
I consider even I920 is an excellent processor. The biggest thing that disappointed me with Core 2 Quad is the temprature. If compared with Wolfdale they get slightly heated up.

Is it the same case with Core i 7 ??
 
I consider even I920 is an excellent processor. The biggest thing that disappointed me with Core 2 Quad is the temprature. If compared with Wolfdale they get slightly heated up.

Is it the same case with Core i 7 ??

i7s get very hot, but can handle it. 90c is what I would consider max, but mid 80s is fine for stressing/benchmarking.

However, modest overclocks, and lower voltage, and I doubt you will see over 60C.

Also, dissabeling HT lowers and average of 10C.
 
I consider even I920 is an excellent processor. The biggest thing that disappointed me with Core 2 Quad is the temprature. If compared with Wolfdale they get slightly heated up.

Is it the same case with Core i 7 ??


Haha... i7's are going to be way hotter than what you're used to.

I wouldn't consider stock cooling for any but the mildest of overclocks, and even on top-end air the temperature curve tends to get pretty steep when you go toward the higher overclocks. It eats 1x120 and 2x120 WC setups alive - much to the shock of the community when they were first put through the paces.
 
It eats 1x120 and 2x120 WC setups alive - much to the shock of the community when they were first put through the paces.

But don't some air setups eat 1x120 and 2x120 WC setups up? I thought you have to go towards 3x120 to really allow WC to shine. I may be wrong though, I've never WC'd a rig...
 
Haha... i7's are going to be way hotter than what you're used to.

I wouldn't consider stock cooling for any but the mildest of overclocks, and even on top-end air the temperature curve tends to get pretty steep when you go toward the higher overclocks. It eats 1x120 and 2x120 WC setups alive - much to the shock of the community when they were first put through the paces.


That sux. I though it will be cooler than Core 2 Quads
 
i7 920 is cheap, about $300 new. 950 has exponetially increased price.
the vid card, i personally will go with the GTX.
and you might consider a SSD as your OS drive. a good one will certainlly suprise you.
 
Back
Top