Need some troubleshooting help

Fritzz

[H]ard|Gawd
All right guys, going through some major frustrations with this latest build. Basic PC, nothing special, for the mother in law. Does quickbooks, photo editing, internet, and e-mail. Nothing special. Thought I would go with something new, but low power and small. Here's the specs.

ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE (REV 3.0)
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM
ASUS Black 24X DVD Burner
APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower w/ 250w PSU

And here is what I am getting:

IMG_1671.JPG

So machine boots, installed Win 7 Pro 64bit no problem and fully updated to SP1(not sure if that is my issue since SP1 has sleep issues). Installed drivers off the Asus CD. Machine will stay up for 30-60 minutes and then I get that. In the process of troubleshooting the time frame. So far done it on 2 different monitors. Trying to get the latest drivers from ASUS, but their site is not working for me.

From experience what you see(flickering garbled mess) is generally a video card issue. Question is with the integrated GPU do I return the mobo or CPU or both?

Let me know what you guys think.

With the integrated GPU embedded within the processor, you have a 50/50 guess between the processor or the motherboard. Out of the two, I guess that it's better to RMA the processor first in the hopes that it was the offending part.

Did you try grabbing the motherboard drivers from Asus' US- or Taiwan-based site? The latter usually have more recent updates and they're mostly universal (language-wise).

Finally got into the drivers download page. Tried the Taiwan site, and navigation is differet, and apparently the mobo models are too. Doing a fresh install of Win7 Pro and grabbing drivers from the site. Will also update my Bios if it's an older version. If that doesn't work looks like I am RMA'ing.

Fresh install, drivers from their website.... same result. Looks like I am RMAing. I am thinking CPU since when it does that the machine is locked up also. In past experieince it was the GPU and you could still see the mouse move and windows still operated. Not sure how valid of a guess that is since they are integrated now..

Any suggestions? CPU? Mobo? Or both?

Thanks again guys.

I'd have to go with tiraides here: RMA the CPU first.

Ok well pretty much at my whits end with this one. Still having the issue and here's what I have done.

RMA'd the CPU = Same prblem
RMA'd the Mobo = Same problem

About all I am left with is RAM or Drivers.
I just did a fresh install of Win7 Home Premium. Installed the LAN drivers only, and updated Win7 minus SP1. Left it on all last night and everything was good. This am installed the Intel HD graphics Drivers from the Intel site. I got home after work, had been on all day, no issues. I had figured it was the graphics drivers since it seems to be a graphics issue. Installed half of the other drivers remaining Realtek Audio, Wireless Drivers, and USB 3.0 drivers. Let it sit for about 3 hours and came upstairs to see it doing it again!!!

So my conlcusion, is that it's one of the last 3 drivers I installed. Annoying thing is I have to try and figure out which one it is. I am about to call NewEgg and just return the whole damn thing and buy something else.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have pretty much had it with this thing.....

Just keep at it man.

With that said, I am a bit worried about the stock PSU: It is Allied made so it's of pretty low quality. It may present an issue later on. If

Any chance the cpu is overheating? It got thermal paste right? You removed the plastic film from the bottom of the cpu cooler?

Any chance the cpu is overheating? It got thermal paste right? You removed the plastic film from the bottom of the cpu cooler?

I wish it was that simple lol...

Everything is good with the CPU. Stock Intel cooler so no plastic to remove, also have RealTemp installed so it would tell me if it throttled, and it freezes with with that blinking screen I posted above, and from my experience when a CPU gets too hot the machine shuts down.

Did a fresh install last night, only drivers installed are the Intel HD 2 from the Intel site and the Realtek LAN. Still running this morning when I got up. So now goes the slow process of elimination. Just installed the Realtek audio and we'll see after work hehe.

Thanks again everyone!!

Back