• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need some laptop suggestions.

LKilmister

n00b
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
24
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong thread area.

I'm looking for some advice on a laptop purchase. I want to try and stay under $600, but can go to 700'ish if need be.

I'm looking for a laptop that can play world of warcraft in decent quality, not really ultra, but it would be nice if it could. I'm also looking for at least a 15.6 " screen larger is better, but not likely I know. I'd also like to be able to use the laptop for drawing with coral painter 6 and a graphics tablet. I've done a few searches and its kind of hard for me to really make a decision so I came here in hopes of a little guidance.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
 
For WoW and some drawing you'd easily be able to get away with a mobile 970 or 1050. If you don't need it ASAP it might not be a bad idea to do what I did: Check Newegg's daily deals. I got my laptop (MSI GL62M 7RDX) for almost $100 less than its current sale price by watching daily deals. They have some decent deals every now and then. If you see something that grabs your attention hunt down stuff on it on Youtube and around the web. There are so many different laptops out there that its hard to narrow down specific recommendations.
 
Yeah I realize I'm asking for advice on something that is pretty scattered. I did a few searches and came up with a few. Like
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-576G-5762, which seems to turn up a lot in my searches. The small storage space is off putting 256 gb ssd.
Dell Inspiron i5770-5463SLV 17.3, which has 1tb of storage and a large screen.
Acer swift 3... not sure about it.

Just trying to eliminate down between these and see if there is anything better in the same or cheaper price range that anyone is aware of. Anyone have any suggestioins?

 
Sure, but do you actually need to move it?

The point behind the question: the smaller you make the system, the more you will pay for less performance. That's the compromise.

And generally speaking, you're better off getting a desktop for gaming and a non-gaming laptop for mobile computing.
 
Gotcha, Well I do need to move it around and I basically will use it to move to one room and play wow from a small chair and probably sitting it on my lap most of that time. I will move it to another room and use it for just general stuff like using a drawing tablet or surfing around. I know I can get a much better desktop for the price and I have one that I can use for gaming I keep my rift connected to that one. But, just looking around for something with better power than the laptop I have.

Sorry again I missed where you were going with that question. :)

My current laptop is Okay for what I do with the exception of drawing. I am using an Acer Aspire f-15 F5-571-50PF
Intel core I5- 4210u 1.7ghZ
Intel hd graphics 4400 up to 4184MB Dynamic video memory
8GB DDR3 L Memory
1 TB HDD.

Maybe I should have put that in my first post and see what a decent upgrade to this laptop would cost me to see if it is worth the purchase. ... yeah I should have.. sorry so let me change the thread.

What should I get that will feel like a performance upgrade to what I have, and how cheaply can i do that? My main things I"m looking for are a bigger screen and better all around performance, and WOW /hearthstone heros of the storm, are all I will play on it, but overwatch would be nice to be able to play as well. Or diablo 3.... I know blizzard has me trapped.

I would like to have my current laptop set up in one room and leave it there and the new one (if I get one) in the other room. Both need to be small because space is a factor, and occasional mobility is also a factor if I have two laptops. I can't really see upgrading this one because all I could really upgrade is the ram... not sure if this one will even go over the 8gb I have. I'd like to stay under 600, but if the only real upgrade is to go a bit over 700 I can do that.

Sorry for my very general question at the start of the post and I hope this is a little more helpful in helping you all understand exactly what I am looking for. I have a few options that I've already listed and a few more considerations, but like Derangel said there are too many different laptops out there and just reading specs doesn't always feel like it is giving me any direction.

Thanks again for any and all advice you can give, nothing is really in concrete for me, but I want an upgraded laptop to the one I have as either a replacement to this, or a second laptop with some more power.
 
So, next point: 15" laptops are about the crossover point between speed and price. As you go smaller than that, price goes up and speed goes down; larger than that, price goes up but speed generally doesn't.

And: you do not want a desktop-replacement [DTR]- these are designed to be portable workstations, not laptops/notebooks, despite sharing the same form. They, and the power bricks they require, are heavy, hot, and loud.

This 15.6" Acer is probably as close as you can get for your price range.

If you want something with a discrete GPU (that is, something with Nvidia or AMD graphics) you'll likely need to up your budget, but if you're willing to bury the settings you can probably get along alright with the Intel integrated stuff.
 
Thanks for the help, this helps put things into perspective. I could go up to 700'ish, but what I have now runs wow and the graphics are fine to me. It is a little slow on load speed though. When I first log into a character I can't see items in my bags, or a map if I open it up for about 7 to 12 seconds. And if I port somewhere the same effect happens, after I get past that point I'm fine.
 
Dell Inspiron 15 7000 "Gaming" Core i5-7300HQ + GTX 1050Ti = $650 ($50 promo code + free shipping)
  1. Click Here
  2. Select "Windows 10 Home 64-bit English" (this will subtract $50)
  3. Click "Add to Cart"
  4. In cart, apply coupon code SAVE50
  5. Total should be $649.99 + free shipping
MSI GL62M Core i5-7300HQ + GTX 1050 = $600 ($20 promo code 410NJFSCE + $50 rebate + free shipping)
 
Back
Top