Need some help with cable/moving systems..

Goose

Limp Gawd
I am going to have to move two computer systems, stations and all and need some help with cables.

The cable (for the net) is coming into the house via a small coaxial cable straight into the modem.
I need to move these systems to another section of the house, and probably need 100+/- feet of a new cable. What kind of cable do I need to replace that one with Exactly? Do I need any boosters etc. for it because of the distance?
I was also thinking of replacing the other cables, I assume the old ones are cat5, with cat6 because the prices are cheap on monoprice.com.
Sorry for the newbish questions :eek: but I need the right answers and this is one of the places to get it.

Thanks

Shielded RG6 coaxial cable will do fine, I moved my modem from my house to my garage, and ordered 150 feet of cable off ebay with the ends put on since I didnt have a crimper at the time. It worked fine for my modem, I even split it and connected a TV in the garage and signals were still good. The signal coming into my house was very good and I used one of the main splits for the long run.

Try to keep the long cable close to the main feed without passing through splitters if your signal is weak. If you need a booster you will need one that can handle 2 way communication for the modem, any splitters should be digital rated, not the cheap gold plated radio shack splitters.

Good luck.

100'? Unless the signal coming into your house is strong, use RG11. It's expensive but 100' is a long way. You'll just have to try it and see if you need an amp.

Or you could leave the modem and just run network cable to where it should hook up to.

100' really shouldn't be a problem for RG6 quad. However, It'd be cheaper and easier to leave the modem in place and run Cat5e (Or better) to the new location.

As far as upgrading to Cat6: As long as the existing cable is Cat5e, you are fine up to gigabit speeds. No new cable necessary.

100' really shouldn't be a problem for RG6 quad. However, It'd be cheaper and easier to leave the modem in place and run Cat5e (Or better) to the new location.

As far as upgrading to Cat6: As long as the existing cable is Cat5e, you are fine up to gigabit speeds. No new cable necessary.

If I left the modem in place, I'd still have to run 2 Cat 6 cables 100+ feet like you mentioned........

Which is Really better? I'd be getting the cables at Monoprice.com. So which way is cheaper and better?

What make of booster might I need? The 2 way one mentioned in one of the above posts?

I'm looking to not lose Any signal from the wall if at all possible.

Back