• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some help with a SFF Gaming Box

Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
555
Hey all,

A friend of mine asked me for some advice with building a new system and unfortunately I don't know a ton about SFF systems so I figured I'd pop on here and get some advice from people who know more.

He's looking at using a TT Lanbox / Lanbox Lite. And I find myself wondering if it'll have issues keeping the heat removed with a cpu pusing out up to perhaps 140w with an OCed cpu. Especially seeing how it's going to have to be a pretty short cpu hsfF with the PSU right above the mobo.

So I guess I'm wondering what you guys think of the case? Any ideas of cpu coolers that will fit?

And suggestions on a LGA775 or AM3 system? Can't go i5/i7 due to the budget. The 775 is kind of at it's end of life, so I'm thinking AM3 might be the way to go?

Thanks for reading and thanks from both of us for any comments / suggestions!
 
Cooling is always an issue when you have the PSU right about it. You can get the cooler that sits right underneath it and it sucks the heat out using the PSU Fan but for serious OCing that might be an issue. They have other coolers that will work fine
Example:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=311

Go AM3...the mobos are cheaper

Unfortunately almost all matx cases have the psu there, especially the "shoe box" style ones.

And actually both the AM3 and 775 we were looking at were just around $100. So it's more cpu price than anything else as a 775 Quad is about $50 more. But the memory is a bit cheaper so it's pretty close either way I'd guess.
 
I guess you get some nice shotgun through airflow, but you can't use a big ol heatsink like a TR Ultra-120.

And apparently another friend has a Q9300 he's going to sell my buddy for $100. So Intel it is as that'll beat the snot out of any of the $100 AM3's. Now I just need to figure out if he should get a P45, Q45 or G45...
 
I guess you get some nice shotgun through airflow, but you can't use a big ol heatsink like a TR Ultra-120.

And apparently another friend has a Q9300 he's going to sell my buddy for $100. So Intel it is as that'll beat the snot out of any of the $100 AM3's. Now I just need to figure out if he should get a P45, Q45 or G45...

Well you can in some of the cases. The Qmicra, for example, will allow it. The Qpack2 might with a few mods.
 
And suggestions on a LGA775 or AM3 system? C
.....

Now I just need to figure out if he should get a P45, Q45 or G45...

Please answer the following files so that we can help you better:
If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

By answering these questions you help us help you build a PC that's of better quality, better performing, cheaper or all of the above.
 
Hey, I have a TT LanBox Lite myself, and cooling isnt an issue for me.
Get a PSU that doesnt have a fan on the bottom for your best bet.
You have quite a bit of room for an aftermarket cooler if you want too, I'm guessing around 10cm from mobo-psu (from looking in the side of my case).
 
Back
Top