Need some computers....

prn1357

n00b
I know this is a weird question but.,...
Being only 13, I have no job, and thus, no money to buy computer parts and learn more about my hobby, computers. So is there a way where I can get used/ unwanted computers that I can "play around with", and not worry about breaking them? It would help if they were at least from this century, too.

Thanks for answers!

-PRN1357

I have many spare parts (cpus, motherboards, videocards, etc) , but i'm Mexico and international shipping is a no go for me, sorry.

Oh. I just noticed that this is in the wrong forum. I meant to put it in the general hardware forum.

EDIT: I didnt really mean to get the computers from people on the forum. They spent their own cash on it. And I couldn't just take it for free. Unless they would be throwing it out anyway

Also ask any other family members or friends that may be upgrading their systems, or have upgraded and have old PCs lying around. Your teachers would also be good people to ask. Check the craigslist "for free" section as I often see old systems and parts there. To get the good deals you have to be pretty persevering and be checking constantly.

i got my first notebook as a left over from my moms work.... when i was 18

there are lots of older AMD socket 939 or P4 or even C2D systems that are being sold for less than $100

13 is a little young to get a job, but mowing lawns... washing windows and such you could get enought to buy a nettop or netbook.....

Well hopefully a mod will move this thread over to General Hardware but here's my 2cents:

As rays87turbo pointed out, asking friends and family if they have old PCs lying around is probably the quickest free way to get a free PC. That's pretty much how I got a majority of my collection of old PCs.

Also see if your school has any PCs they're willing to give away.

Just to clarify my definition of an old PC: Anything that uses DDR1 RAM and older :D

Other places are:
Companies that go out of business is usually a good place for a bargain...
Sometimes ebay(somewhat irregular supplies) is too, if shipping-costs isn't an issue...

I know this is a weird question but.,...
Being only 13, I have no job, and thus, no money to buy computer parts and learn more about my hobby, computers. So is there a way where I can get used/ unwanted computers that I can "play around with", and not worry about breaking them? It would help if they were at least from this century, too.

Thanks for answers!

-PRN1357

Ask your parents to talk to their IT department at work. They might have stuff they can loan or give away.

I don't really have any money to spend, and my parents refuse to buy me something, though, I will ask my parents to check with their IT departments, and I will call the local recycling place, where people give used computers, and see if I can get some from them.

I had a science teacher in high school who would go around to the local colleges and business and buy lots of their OLD computers, and sell them for $10 or so. He knew I was into them so he just gave them to me. In 2003, I was able to get on-line in a DOS on a 1989 Zenith computer!

Check with any local colleges or universities--many of them operate their own internal recycling program. You might be able to snag an old system that way.

See if your local community college or university has a surplus store. Your folks might know, or you could call them up and ask. You can sometimes snag quite old computers there for a couple bucks.

Also, check Goodwill and any thrift store like that. I have seen old computers for like $20 total. They are quite old and you shouldn't ever pay much money for this stuff, by the way.

might be worth looking at the Goodwill. i know here in my area (fort worth,tx) we have a goodwill store completely devoted to computers and most are very cheap. you have to be careful though as they dont have a very good sytem for pricing. you can get a good computer if you find one that isnt too old as they have maximum price caps a couple hundred bucks at most i think, but really old computers that should be almost free sometimes go for 50-100 from the GW.

hell if you can save 200-300 you can buy a pretty nice computer on craigslist or ebay. i knew a guy that got one with a c2q and a 5770 w/ lcd for 250.

i realize this might seem intimidating, but if you work at it hard enough you can make it happen.

I don't really have any money to spend, and my parents refuse to buy me something, though, I will ask my parents to check with their IT departments, and I will call the local recycling place, where people give used computers, and see if I can get some from them.

Have you tried asking them if you can do chores around the house to slowly earn money for a cheap value build? (Athlon x2, 2GB ram, integrated video, etc) :)

You could try looking in dumpsters and garbage cans as you pass them. I have found 2 p4 pcs in the garbage. One I saw the owner throwing it away, I asked him if I could have it, he said yes that it doesn't work. I took it home, worked just fine, it only had 256ram for xp, that's my guess why they threw it away.

But don't do anything stupid or illegal like crawling into a compactor.

Back