need some build advice.

I'm selling the stuff that's been sitting in a box in my closet to a friend of mine, and he wants me to buy and build the rest for him...

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly gaming. Esp L4D2, probably other FPS...
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
for the parts i need, i'd like to keep it around 500-600 before shipping.
3) Where do you live?
South Carolina
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Just the case, psu, gpu, hard drive, optical drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
See sig for parts in closet... in addition to those parts, Im reusing standard usb mouse/keyboard.
6) Will you be overclocking?
most likely. i've gotten a stable 2.8GHz off it before... as long as the case chosen has good airflow, the s1283 does a good job of keeping the cpu cool.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
for now, he has a 22" lcd, 1680*1050... He might want to upgrade later on to a 24"... but i'm not really worried about that right now
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
next couple of weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
N/A
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Need to buy still... Windows 7 x64 of course. OEM, ftw!

Which particular case, psu, gpu, hard drive, and optical drive are you going to reuse?

Which level of visual quality does your friend like to use while gaming? Does he use AA/AF as well?

those are the parts i need.

lol..he probably has no idea what aa/af is. I suppose to be nice something that can handle at least
4x/8xish...

at the resolution of the lcd, I was thinkin that a HD5830 would be ok, but i dont't know...

Last edited:
My bad... I mixed things up a bit. Looking at your sig, however, I now remember why....

Reusing that 680i board is a bad idea, unless it's one of the FTW series boards -- and even then, I wouldn't recommend trying to attempt a massive overclock. That said, $600 isn't a lot of money to "fix" that board and get everything else. Actually, it would be $500 if you were to buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, which is around $100 shipped nowadays.

My bad... I mixed things up a bit. Looking at your sig, however, I now remember why....

Reusing that 680i board is a bad idea, unless it's one of the FTW series boards -- and even then, I wouldn't recommend trying to attempt a massive overclock. That said, $600 isn't a lot of money to "fix" that board and get everything else. Actually, it would be $500 if you were to buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, which is around $100 shipped nowadays.

the board is just fine... it was what I was using before I upgraded to my i5 rig now... 2.8GHz ran just fine before... not really a massive overclock at all...
Here's about how I was planning on breaking it down... Yes windows 7 OEM is going to set me back $100...hard drive $75...optical $25,...

that's 200 so far. leaving me 300-400 for a case and gpu and psu... it's not that difficult.

it's not that difficult.

Calm down yo. He's just trying to help. Besides, I have the same reservations of passing on a troublesome chipset like the 680i to someone else. But if it's been stable for you and that light OC of 2.8Ghz is as high as you're gonna go, should be ok.

Anyway, a build list:

$160 - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$25 - LG GH22NS50 DVD Burner
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
----
Total: $431 plus tax and shipping.

Let your friend choose a case he likes:
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z ATX Case
$60 - Antec 300 ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$60 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-E8B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case

I apologize for being snappy. I have not had my coffee yet this morning, and the boys were difficult this morning getting ready for school.

Thanks Danny Bui, I can recall that there were lots of issues with the 680i in the past. but it never gave me any problems as a gaming rig ever for a few years of heavy use... I wouldn't sell it to a friend if I was not confident in it.

Anyway, excellent build there. I have one question though... the Xigmatek s1283 is quite tall.. Are all of the above cases wide enough to take the s1283?

Anyway, excellent build there. I have one question though... the Xigmatek s1283 is quite tall.. Are all of the above cases wide enough to take the s1283?

The Xigmatek HSF isn't that tall actually :) With the exception of the $50 cases, all of the cases that I listed should fit the S1283 just fine.

nope. went with the Cooler Master RC-690... Still debating selling my friend my gtx260, and getting myself an upgrade though... Perhaps a HD5830....

Last edited:
dont forget to post pics!
that's no problem... but I though the obligatory pic thing was for Genmay...
What do you want pics of? building the system? My idiot d-bag friend? lol :D

edit: so, what would be a reasonable upgrade, with a noticeable difference, with best bang for the buck??

2nd edit: mn, Went with an asus hd5850...
but does anyone know the difference between these two?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Last edited:
that's no problem... but I though the obligatory pic thing was for Genmay...
What do you want pics of? building the system? My idiot d-bag friend? lol :D

edit: so, what would be a reasonable upgrade, with a noticeable difference, with best bang for the buck??

2nd edit: mn, Went with an asus hd5850...
but does anyone know the difference between these two?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

The TOP model is a little faster

Edit: & when I say TOP I don't mean the one at the top of the list, I mean the one with "TOP" in the model

Back